The Affordable Perfect large Day Sailor--Why has it not been built? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 69 Old 11-22-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....
 
LandLocked66c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Bottom of a Pint Glass...
Posts: 2,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
Yeah I would go with a fiberglass hull. Wood is way too much work.
But, this boat was built for a celebrity! James Arness (sp)

That could go a long way when trolling for potential customers... With most of the deck gone you are ridding yourself of alot of work.

Yah, GRP is less work for sure though!

1971 23' Oday Pop Top
S/V Frida

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
LandLocked66c is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 69 Old 11-22-2011
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 12,669
Thanks: 81
Thanked 99 Times in 95 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
ok--Now I am finding thiis concept really interesting. What do you think it would cost to do something like this?
If I was to do it? Not much cash but 10 or 15 years.

I's give Tim Lackey a call and run it past him for a ballpark figure.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #33 of 69 Old 11-22-2011
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 12,669
Thanks: 81
Thanked 99 Times in 95 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
I just remembered that Lackey has a Allied Seabreeze that has already been gutted. It had an engine fire and Tim bought it cheap to rebuild for himself. He gutted it and cut out the burned cockpit fiberglass before losing steam and moving on to a Fisher motorsailer. All the info about it is on his website.

It would work well for the idea under discussion and I bet he'd sell it cheap, particularly if you had him do the work.

Might have to wait a while though - he seems to have about a 1 year lineup already.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #34 of 69 Old 11-22-2011
Senior Member
 
mstern's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 871
Thanks: 22
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I's give Tim Lackey a call and run it past him for a ballpark figure.
I seem to recall that Tim sold his Daysailor for around 90K. I first came across Tim's website when he was in the midst of that project, and kept up with his progress weekly. Absolutely fascinating. I think it took Tim quite a bit of time to do that rebuild, and I think that was back before his business really took off. If you look at his website now, he seems to have projects booked out through next year, along with rebuilding his own boat. If the idea of a rebuild intrigues you, then by all means give Tim a call. Your project wouldn't necessarily involve as much work as the Daysailor, which included demolition of the original deck and coachroof, building a new deck and coachroof, and a demolition and rebuild of the interior from scratch.
mstern is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #35 of 69 Old 11-22-2011
Senior Member
 
mstern's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 871
Thanks: 22
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I just remembered that Lackey has a Allied Seabreeze that has already been gutted. It had an engine fire and Tim bought it cheap to rebuild for himself. He gutted it and cut out the burned cockpit fiberglass before losing steam and moving on to a Fisher motorsailer. All the info about it is on his website.

It would work well for the idea under discussion and I bet he'd sell it cheap, particularly if you had him do the work.

Might have to wait a while though - he seems to have about a 1 year lineup already.
Tim no longer owns that Seabreeze. He was advertising on his site that he was offering it for sale, or in the alternative, giving it to someone at a greatly reduced price (it might have even been for free) so long as the new owner used Tim for the rebuild. Someone took him up on the offer awhile ago; Tim never specified which offer was accepted, but the Seabreeze is still listed on his site in the "upcoming projects" section, so I always assumed it was the latter choice.
mstern is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #36 of 69 Old 11-22-2011
Member
 
Arpegecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
FWIW, the Harbor 25 (more like 26 feet actually) has a huge cockpit, a small cabin room for four easily.with sink, icebox and a fully enclosed head. Still, I think a stock production boat with a large cockpit would do the job for a charter operation - a Catalina 380 for example. Not sure why it needs to be a day sailer.
Arpegecap is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #37 of 69 Old 11-22-2011
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 12,669
Thanks: 81
Thanked 99 Times in 95 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Tim no longer owns that Seabreeze. He was advertising on his site that he was offering it for sale, or in the alternative, giving it to someone at a greatly reduced price (it might have even been for free) so long as the new owner used Tim for the rebuild. Someone took him up on the offer awhile ago; Tim never specified which offer was accepted, but the Seabreeze is still listed on his site in the "upcoming projects" section, so I always assumed it was the latter choice.
Oh well.... There are lots of neglected and /or abandoned boats out there, going cheap. I'm fairly sure there are lots of skilled small boatyards like Charliecobra's as well. I doubt it is Fat City for them right now so it might be a good time to do an unusual project like this.

Tim did well on that daysailer project - $90K Considering he went back to a ballasted bare hull, it was a brand new, custom boat, built to a high standard so that price is cheap IMHO.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #38 of 69 Old 11-23-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
If the boat is to be used commercially would not the boat and crew have to be coast guard certified for X number of passengers with all fire supression and related systems. Just because you have a nice boat does not make it legal to take out paying customers.
RXBOT is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #39 of 69 Old 11-23-2011 Thread Starter
Yamsailor
 
Yamsailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 898
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
If the boat is to be used commercially would not the boat and crew have to be coast guard certified for X number of passengers with all fire supression and related systems. Just because you have a nice boat does not make it legal to take out paying customers.
The boat does not have to be inspected if I take no more than six passengers for hire.

There isn't a device on this world that can measure the indifference I have for that statement.
Yamsailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #40 of 69 Old 11-23-2011 Thread Starter
Yamsailor
 
Yamsailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 898
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpegecap View Post
FWIW, the Harbor 25 (more like 26 feet actually) has a huge cockpit, a small cabin room for four easily.with sink, icebox and a fully enclosed head. Still, I think a stock production boat with a large cockpit would do the job for a charter operation - a Catalina 380 for example. Not sure why it needs to be a day sailer.
Catalina 380/387 is an option I am willing to consider.

There isn't a device on this world that can measure the indifference I have for that statement.
Yamsailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Affordable repair in ICW radovix Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 0 10-18-2010 10:17 AM
large main or large headsail? jbarros Boat Review and Purchase Forum 2 09-29-2003 06:13 PM
Affordable Multihulls Kevin Jeffrey Buying a Boat Articles 0 08-22-2000 08:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome