The Affordable Perfect large Day Sailor--Why has it not been built? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
Yeah I would go with a fiberglass hull. Wood is way too much work.
But, this boat was built for a celebrity! James Arness (sp)

That could go a long way when trolling for potential customers... With most of the deck gone you are ridding yourself of alot of work.

Yah, GRP is less work for sure though!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
ok--Now I am finding thiis concept really interesting. What do you think it would cost to do something like this?
If I was to do it? Not much cash but 10 or 15 years.

I's give Tim Lackey a call and run it past him for a ballpark figure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-22-2011
Senior Moment Member

I just remembered that Lackey has a Allied Seabreeze that has already been gutted. It had an engine fire and Tim bought it cheap to rebuild for himself. He gutted it and cut out the burned cockpit fiberglass before losing steam and moving on to a Fisher motorsailer. All the info about it is on his website.

It would work well for the idea under discussion and I bet he'd sell it cheap, particularly if you had him do the work.

Might have to wait a while though - he seems to have about a 1 year lineup already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-22-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I's give Tim Lackey a call and run it past him for a ballpark figure.
I seem to recall that Tim sold his Daysailor for around 90K. I first came across Tim's website when he was in the midst of that project, and kept up with his progress weekly. Absolutely fascinating. I think it took Tim quite a bit of time to do that rebuild, and I think that was back before his business really took off. If you look at his website now, he seems to have projects booked out through next year, along with rebuilding his own boat. If the idea of a rebuild intrigues you, then by all means give Tim a call. Your project wouldn't necessarily involve as much work as the Daysailor, which included demolition of the original deck and coachroof, building a new deck and coachroof, and a demolition and rebuild of the interior from scratch.
Old 11-22-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I just remembered that Lackey has a Allied Seabreeze that has already been gutted. It had an engine fire and Tim bought it cheap to rebuild for himself. He gutted it and cut out the burned cockpit fiberglass before losing steam and moving on to a Fisher motorsailer. All the info about it is on his website.

It would work well for the idea under discussion and I bet he'd sell it cheap, particularly if you had him do the work.

Might have to wait a while though - he seems to have about a 1 year lineup already.
Tim no longer owns that Seabreeze. He was advertising on his site that he was offering it for sale, or in the alternative, giving it to someone at a greatly reduced price (it might have even been for free) so long as the new owner used Tim for the rebuild. Someone took him up on the offer awhile ago; Tim never specified which offer was accepted, but the Seabreeze is still listed on his site in the "upcoming projects" section, so I always assumed it was the latter choice.
Old 11-22-2011

Arpegecap is on a distinguished road
FWIW, the Harbor 25 (more like 26 feet actually) has a huge cockpit, a small cabin room for four easily.with sink, icebox and a fully enclosed head. Still, I think a stock production boat with a large cockpit would do the job for a charter operation - a Catalina 380 for example. Not sure why it needs to be a day sailer.
Old 11-22-2011
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Tim no longer owns that Seabreeze. He was advertising on his site that he was offering it for sale, or in the alternative, giving it to someone at a greatly reduced price (it might have even been for free) so long as the new owner used Tim for the rebuild. Someone took him up on the offer awhile ago; Tim never specified which offer was accepted, but the Seabreeze is still listed on his site in the "upcoming projects" section, so I always assumed it was the latter choice.
Oh well.... There are lots of neglected and /or abandoned boats out there, going cheap. I'm fairly sure there are lots of skilled small boatyards like Charliecobra's as well. I doubt it is Fat City for them right now so it might be a good time to do an unusual project like this.

Tim did well on that daysailer project - $90K Considering he went back to a ballasted bare hull, it was a brand new, custom boat, built to a high standard so that price is cheap IMHO.

Old 11-23-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
If the boat is to be used commercially would not the boat and crew have to be coast guard certified for X number of passengers with all fire supression and related systems. Just because you have a nice boat does not make it legal to take out paying customers.
Old 11-23-2011
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
If the boat is to be used commercially would not the boat and crew have to be coast guard certified for X number of passengers with all fire supression and related systems. Just because you have a nice boat does not make it legal to take out paying customers.
The boat does not have to be inspected if I take no more than six passengers for hire.
Old 11-23-2011
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpegecap View Post
FWIW, the Harbor 25 (more like 26 feet actually) has a huge cockpit, a small cabin room for four easily.with sink, icebox and a fully enclosed head. Still, I think a stock production boat with a large cockpit would do the job for a charter operation - a Catalina 380 for example. Not sure why it needs to be a day sailer.
Catalina 380/387 is an option I am willing to consider.