The Affordable Perfect large Day Sailor--Why has it not been built? - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
T,

Look - I'm nit going to get into a ping pong match on the subject.

The sea trial article was written by a very experienced passage making sailor with 10s of thousands of ocean miles under his belt. He wasn't paid or renumerated in any way. The only changes made were punctuation and spelling.

If you read the entire article you will see that he was very skeptical about the seaworthiness of the boat, before he sailed it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Passage-making downwind under spinnaker - with only 2 people on a 40 footer - is now so easy, you'll have fun doing it every time you go sailing. Exceptional performance and construction earned J/120 the distinction of being CRUISING WORLD magazine's OVERALL BOAT OF THE YEAR and the BEST VALUE in a full-sized cruising boat.

It still disagrees with anything ever written about the J120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2011

If your going to post add copy i will counter with other add copy

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Old 12-08-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
How did this pissing contest get started again?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 12-08-2011

n summary, the boat handled the delivery very well and I was extremely impressed. I have done this trip hundreds of times in 30 ft sloops, J-120s and one-design 48s. All got wetter and were scarier rides.

You really think i need to read the copy you cut and pasted pasted from

I sure your boat is much more user friendly and dry compared to a J24 or J80 BUT at some point it would not be the case and i would have to say the J120 would be one

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Last edited by tommays; 12-08-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
Bluenose yachts is building a new S&S-designed 30 foot daysailor for $150,000. It has a large cockpit and looks comfortable down below. I would like to see one finished as it looks gorgeous and although smaller than I would like, may meet my needs. I am not ready to buy one until I see a finished one. Sparkman and Stephens 30 BABE

Anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks
Yes - it should have longer overhangs. What a gorgeous boat.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-08-2011
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
I am examining the following boats:

Jeanneau SO35
Jeanneau SO37
Jeanneau 36i
Catalina 350
Catalina 36MKII
Catalina 380/387
Sabre 362

and one Catamaran--MaineCat 30

I would consider the MaineCat 30 if I can get it inspected for 10-passenger day sails

Does anyone have any other suggestions other than the above while keeping the cost to less than $150000 (New or Used)?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12-08-2011

gjw0920 is on a distinguished road
Nice daysailors that are more affordable.

I am having a hard time following the complete thread to this posting, so I apologize if this is redundant, however, we have sold the E33 for this type of use even if it is over the 150k mentioned.

E 33 YACHTS

and we are now offering the S&S 30

Sparkman and Stephens 30 BABE

Of course the Alerion 28 is viable as is the Schock 30.

However, as every yacht designer knows; every design is a compromise.
Old 12-08-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
So you are about to embark on an adventure of sailing and having others pay you for it. First thought is how to get the guests on board. Are they adventurous sailors? Is your boat appealing to them? Never sailed before?? Will it tip? Where do we sit? What number of passengers is your break even? Even after all this, the hardest part is the advertizing brochures, commissions,web page,on and on. It's great fun if you like to sail sort of like you liked sex so you changed occupations I've done it for a long while now (18 passengers) and cannot imagine working for a paycheck.But I often wonder what these jerks are doing in my home. Fortunately my partner is a people person so I can be the gruff captain. If you look around the net you will find the most popular timing is a threehoursail. If you consider looking for a turnkey opp, find me looking for new horizons.
Old 12-08-2011
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
So you are about to embark on an adventure of sailing and having others pay you for it. First thought is how to get the guests on board. Are they adventurous sailors? Is your boat appealing to them? Never sailed before?? Will it tip? Where do we sit? What number of passengers is your break even? Even after all this, the hardest part is the advertizing brochures, commissions,web page,on and on. It's great fun if you like to sail sort of like you liked sex so you changed occupations I've done it for a long while now (18 passengers) and cannot imagine working for a paycheck.But I often wonder what these jerks are doing in my home. Fortunately my partner is a people person so I can be the gruff captain. If you look around the net you will find the most popular timing is a threehoursail. If you consider looking for a turnkey opp, find me looking for new horizons.
Hi Len,

You make some very good points. Fortunately I am working with someone who owned his own media/advertising/marketing firm. He will be taking care of most of that for me. Three hour sails are the way I want to go for now. Do you have any recommendations for a good 36 foot boat to use?