Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I know of one person that is approaching his 50 yr anniversary, he goes sailing locally on Puget Sound, she goes to Europe! well anyway. His Ericson is a nice one overall too! altho a bit old................

Some of the above niceties are true from the female perspective. My spouse on the other hand, not sure that the QE would be big enough, even if it was an SV vs MV!

My boat has been made up to be pretty nice inside. yeah a bit smallish, but, could be worst!

marty
Old 11-23-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Most boats in the 70' and up range seem to make her happy......for the most part......well, the truth is.....it needs to resemble our house, but outside of that, she's really easy to please.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Ok guys, this isn't about why your woman won't sail with you, we can already guess that. This is about those women that do love to sail and what we want when we cut the dock lines.
To the original author, her list is a great list not just for us gals but for a general cruising boat as well. A good well laid out galley down below is top on my list down below. Valiant 42 galley is the bench mark for me.
I love the fact that she put on the top of her list, helm station she can get too without having to climb over the lazeratte to get to. Most center cockpit boats one has to do this. It drives me crazy to see this serious safety defect.
Another topside feature is ease of sailing handling from the cockpit. If I cannot raise, reef or lower sails alone the boat either needs to be modified or not on my list.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 11-23-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmanta View Post
The premise that women will appreciate the cruising life if their boat is more than a "pop-up camper" is a very valid point and I have seen more than a few men sailing single because their wives won't have a thing to do with the boat. This could all change if the boat were made more "homey" like having nice linens, good food/wine, nice atmosphere and creature comforts.......on the other hand, maybe the single men out there prefer it that way????
Maybe some of the married men prefer it that way, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-23-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Back in 1970 I scratched out the layout of a sailboat interior on the beach sand for a potential cruising partner and she bought it all! Now, with forty years aboard, she remains without a house, dishwasher, laundry appliances, big closet of clothes, big kitchen, etc. We raised two children aboard and they moved out a dozen years ago, so we are fulltime cruising after retirement and she has no desires to establish anything ashore. Some ladies will not fit the mold of what might be expected! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
DRFerron, Melrna and shadowraiths like this.
Old 11-23-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The Wombet always used to say as we lounged about on our lovely old 34' Raven that if only we could inflate her a few feet she'd be happy. In reality at 42' that is what we ended up with and we are pretty much content. Points of interest ...

We'd love a swim platform and intend adding one. We'd like a walk through cockpit but at the expense of that lovely big lazerette ? Not so sure about that. Platform will be a grate off the transom.

Maybe because we are down here in Oz but I'm afraid refrigeration is for us an absolute must not an option.

Galley is a good size but I sure wish Bob Perry had designed it. That charming old bugger sure has a way with a galley doesn't he ? However with a fold up flap at the end of the workbench, which effectively then brings the chart table into the galley, we seem to have plenty of preparation room and twin sinks are nice. Stove with oven is good but we'll upgrade to three burners and grill (thats oz for broiler) rather than just two burners.

Fridge size is an interesting one. Yes I'd like it to be larger but its sufficient and we keep a cooler in the quarter cabin that we keep cool using those refreezeable brick thingys (hell I don't know what they are called) which we freeze in the main fridge. Happy with that, larger fridge would require more power to run but would make for easier access. Have given serious consideration to adding an extra fridge but location is undecided. If I was building a boat I'd have a two drawer fridge. Seems like the perfect solution to me.

Air conditioning ? Not until someone comes up with something that is cheap and easy to run off solar/wind generated 12v. Good shade covers , good insulation, good natural venilation and a fan or two will have to suffice. The idea of requiring mains voltage is anathema to us. Shade covers otoh are absolute essentials. We intend to add another that extends under the solar panels and out to both lifelines and pushpit. That will mean we can have the cockpit open in hot rainy weather, something the Swedes in their cool climate wisdom did not think about. A good preferably diesel heater is however a must have. The joys of winter cruising cannot be understated but you need heat and you need a really well designed dodger arrangement for incelement weather. Make damn sure it has an opening clear for the hot days.

I'm not absolutely sure what David means by centreline berth but that has to be hard to design in, surely. We have one I guess in that the double quarter berth extends under the cockpit but when the lee cloth is raised its not a place I'd like to spend time. We cruise mainly two up so when one is off watch they can kip on the leeward settee berth. If its really horrid, the best place to be is on the cabin sole between the settees.

Speaking of which, I consider rounded ends on settees to be an utter curse with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. Ours are only slightly curved so not too bad but that is the last thing on the list and at some point we will square off the port settee berth.

Lastly but not leastly ... I want and we have a nice deep bilge.
davidpm likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-24-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Ok guys, this isn't about why your woman won't sail with you, we can already guess that. This is about those women that do love to sail and what we want when we cut the dock lines.
To the original author, her list is a great list not just for us gals but for a general cruising boat as well. A good well laid out galley down below is top on my list down below. Valiant 42 galley is the bench mark for me.
I love the fact that she put on the top of her list, helm station she can get too without having to climb over the lazeratte to get to. Most center cockpit boats one has to do this. It drives me crazy to see this serious safety defect.
Another topside feature is ease of sailing handling from the cockpit. If I cannot raise, reef or lower sails alone the boat either needs to be modified or not on my list.
Going to add your items to our list. Thanks
Old 11-24-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
The Wombet always used to say as we lounged about on our lovely old 34' Raven that if only we could inflate her a few feet she'd be happy. In reality at 42' that is what we ended up with and we are pretty much content. Points of interest ...

We'd love a swim platform and intend adding one. We'd like a walk through cockpit but at the expense of that lovely big lazerette ? Not so sure about that. Platform will be a grate off the transom.

Maybe because we are down here in Oz but I'm afraid refrigeration is for us an absolute must not an option.

Galley is a good size but I sure wish Bob Perry had designed it. That charming old bugger sure has a way with a galley doesn't he ? However with a fold up flap at the end of the workbench, which effectively then brings the chart table into the galley, we seem to have plenty of preparation room and twin sinks are nice. Stove with oven is good but we'll upgrade to three burners and grill (thats oz for broiler) rather than just two burners.

Fridge size is an interesting one. Yes I'd like it to be larger but its sufficient and we keep a cooler in the quarter cabin that we keep cool using those refreezeable brick thingys (hell I don't know what they are called) which we freeze in the main fridge. Happy with that, larger fridge would require more power to run but would make for easier access. Have given serious consideration to adding an extra fridge but location is undecided. If I was building a boat I'd have a two drawer fridge. Seems like the perfect solution to me.

Air conditioning ? Not until someone comes up with something that is cheap and easy to run off solar/wind generated 12v. Good shade covers , good insulation, good natural venilation and a fan or two will have to suffice. The idea of requiring mains voltage is anathema to us. Shade covers otoh are absolute essentials. We intend to add another that extends under the solar panels and out to both lifelines and pushpit. That will mean we can have the cockpit open in hot rainy weather, something the Swedes in their cool climate wisdom did not think about. A good preferably diesel heater is however a must have. The joys of winter cruising cannot be understated but you need heat and you need a really well designed dodger arrangement for incelement weather. Make damn sure it has an opening clear for the hot days.

I'm not absolutely sure what David means by centreline berth but that has to be hard to design in, surely. We have one I guess in that the double quarter berth extends under the cockpit but when the lee cloth is raised its not a place I'd like to spend time. We cruise mainly two up so when one is off watch they can kip on the leeward settee berth. If its really horrid, the best place to be is on the cabin sole between the settees.

Speaking of which, I consider rounded ends on settees to be an utter curse with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. Ours are only slightly curved so not too bad but that is the last thing on the list and at some point we will square off the port settee berth.

Lastly but not leastly ... I want and we have a nice deep bilge.
Lots of good stuff for the list.
Old 11-24-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Galley is a good size but I sure wish Bob Perry had designed it. That charming old bugger sure has a way with a galley doesn't he ?
Old bugger? Keerist, I still think of him as one of the new guys in the design world. Maybe that kind of thinking is whats keeping me so young.

Quote:
I'm not absolutely sure what David means by centreline berth.
This is usually used to describe a double that can be accessed from either side, also sometimes called an "island berth".

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
You mean cos I fart and try and blame it on the cat ?

Melrna ... I don't understand this climbing over the lazarette thing.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think of a lazarette as a locker in the stern, usually accessed through a deck hatch aft of the cockpit. Are you stretching that meaning to include under seat port and starboard cockpit lockers ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.