Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I don't understand this climbing over the lazarette thing.
This is a 35' Wauquieq Pretorian
As you can see the wheel comes to within an inch of the seats on the side.
The only way to get to the helm position is to climb on top of the seats then climb down.
For some people this is a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Important for the Ladies-wauquieq-pretorian.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Valiant 42 galley is the bench mark for me.
What do you like specifically about this galley?
Old 11-25-2011
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
I never really understand why there is this diference between what men and women want in a cruiser.

Most of the stuff makes the guys sound like they want a dark damp cave that sails on the edge all the time.

The only things I wanted in the boat that my wife didn't have on her list were related to doing maintenance.
Old 11-25-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I never really understand why there is this diference between what men and women want in a cruiser.

Most of the stuff makes the guys sound like they want a dark damp cave that sails on the edge all the time.

The only things I wanted in the boat that my wife didn't have on her list were related to doing maintenance.
I think the OP wants to ensure that his wife's requirements are not ignored, which I think is admirable. The final list may well have been the same between them, but each partner should still have a say. I would think anyone who doesn't own a boat alone would request requirements from the other partner (regardless of gender) who will also have financial and sweat equity invested. It just so happened that the OP's partner was his wife, whence his reason for asking advice of other women. Covering all bases.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-25-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:

That's definitely true for serious racers, but not necessarily true for all or most guys. I wanted a boat that performed well, but was also comfortable, and I got it.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-25-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I never really understand why there is this difference between what men and women want in a cruiser.

Your last line covers a lot of it - refrigeration, air conditioning, pressure water systems, electric heads etc. etc. all require a lot of skilled and expensive maintenance after a few years. And a lot more money in the first place.

I also think a lot of guys are looking for a bit of the "tree house" thing in a boat. Getting away from the complexities of modern life is a big driver for a lot of guys but if you take it all with you on the boat......? Personally, I don't even want a cell phone along and on most of my boats I didn't even have a VHF. I DO want a nice big GPS plotter in future though, just to eliminate the drudgery of navigating our "complex" local waters.

I've done it to both extremes of homelike comfort and soggy misery and neither are really my preference. I want to stay dry & warm and be able to stand up straight in the head - everything else is optional.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-25-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
A workable galley and decent storage would have been my wife's top pick, ... cockpit was a bit more ergonomically friendly, esp while heeled.
The same with my wife, that, water tankage and a head with a separated shower. It has been quite amusing because on the boat shows that's about all she takes notes and then when I saw some boat I like (normally good sailing boats) she does not like them most of the time. They miss on some of the points that she find important.

We had a 36ft Bavaria and she compares that boat with all the boats we see on boat shows. The problem is that the Bavaria was a very good boat in what regards tankage and storage space. Even the galley was good for a 36ft boat.

I remember some bigger boats that I found interesting like the "old" Jeanneau 42i that she surprisingly found that had less storage space than the Bavaria in what regards storage.

It was of no use to argue with her that the weight distribution of the boat was very important and that the tanks should better be on both sides of the boat. She just see that is just a big waste of space

A boat is a compromise and each one has it's own. It is better to have a look without such a complete list and see how the boat meet the criteria you and your wife find more important.

My wife had been with me in some test sails and she found quickly that a narrow boat sails with a lot of heel while a modern beamy boat sails with much less heel. If the choose was all hers, she would chose a boat like the RM 1200, a boat with a huge initial stability and that sails with less heel.

I guess that heel is important while cooking. You have just to look to the new Benetau, the Sense and the Oceanis: The women have won, they want boats that heel not much while sailing and they have got it

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-25-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
I love the fact that she put on the top of her list, helm station she can get too without having to climb over the lazeratte to get to. ...
You raise an interesting point that is at the origin of the modern concept of the two wheels setup: If you have a small wheel you would lose the best and more comfortable position to sail a heeled boat, I mean sitting on a side.

with a small wheel you cannot reach the wheel siting there, or you have just to bend forward making the position uncomfortable. With a big wheel it is more difficult to go forward but you can comfortably steer the boat sitting on the side with the foot on the pedestal.

The two wheel setup have just solved that. On an older boat you have too chose between a better sailing seating position or an easier passage on the cockpit

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-25-2011

ext222 is on a distinguished road
Not directed at the OP in any way, rather at the general idea that women need to be mollycoddled more than men, and that maybe men would be happier leaving them at home:

I think the first list to make should be "What to look for in a wife"!

Every adventure I have undertaken in my life, from kayaking to BASE jumping to scuba diving to sailing, my wife has jumped into with equal enthusiasm. (And she is usually better at it than I am.)

It must be miserable to be married to someone who isn't as big of a nut as you are.
Old 11-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
This is a 35' Wauquieq Pretorian
As you can see the wheel comes to within an inch of the seats on the side.
The only way to get to the helm position is to climb on top of the seats then climb down.
For some people this is a problem.

David , thanks for the clarification and I can but agree that the need to climb over the cockpit seats to get to the wheel is a less than perfect arrangement.

Regarding centreline berth, I was thinking you meant a centreline sea berth. Centreline island double berth is a nice thing no doubt though I'm not convinced about them when they are under the cockpit. CruisingDad, though reckons this works in his Catalina but hell, what would he know? We are OK with our v-berth that has good width forward. We sleep heads forward in winter but in summer we reverse cos better ventilation.

In my summation, which btw was based on what the Wombet likes, I did forget to mention tankage. We carry 600 litres of water and 400l of diesel plus we have a watermaker. For power generation twin 185ah solar cells, wind generator and balmar high output alternator. The wind generator btw is rarely used. Even though ours is one of the quietest around it is still noisy and quite frankly is nowhere near as useful as the solar cells. Were we to be in a less sunny environment then this could well change.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.