Not another &*%@ing "Help Me Find The Right Boat" thread?!? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 11-23-2011
Jeff_H's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Annapolis, Md
Posts: 6,538
Thanks: 5
Thanked 85 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
NY 36

With exception of transom
Are you kidding? How do you expect to maintain any sort of credibility around here recommending the New York 36 on this threar? The New York 36 would be perfect...
With the exception that it is not 30-33 feet.
With the exception that the NY 36 is anything but on the stiff side.
With the exception of lacking the 6'1 headroom throughout.
With the exception of not having the large head with semi-comfortable shower.
With the exception of the propane system and hotwater heater (I know these were an option but never saw either o an Chesapeake Bay NY 36)

In fact, the NY 36 would be the perfect boat with the exception of nearly everything the O.P. had asked for....
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 11-23-2011
BarryL's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,585
Thanks: 3
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 11
BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

Considering all of your requirements, a few are going to be tough to meet. In a boat 30-33' finding one with a large head will be difficult. Finding a walk through transom will also be tough. When you put the max price at 40K you restrict yourself to boats from the mid to late 80's and early 90's. Very few boats from the 80's came with open transoms. Some, like Newport and O'day, came with swim platforms. Maybe that is good enough?

Some specific boats you should consider are:
Catalina 30 - boats in the early 90's came with open transom
Hunter 33.5 / 35.5 - as mentioned
O'day 35 - no walk through transom but it does have a nice swim platform - is that good enough?
Newport 33 - again, no open transom, but real nice swim platform with steps.
Beneteau First 310 - I don't know anything about this boat but it looks like it would fit the bill.


Good enough,
BArry
__________________
Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 11-23-2011
MikeOReilly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,031
Thanks: 93
Thanked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
This is somewhat of a self-serving post, but I have a possible suggestion for you to consider: a Grampian 34. And yes, I am selling one: (www.elysian.ca)

There were only about 50 made, so they're rare, but they do meet many of your requirements:
  • 33.5' LOA
  • 7' head room
  • big head (for the size of boat)
  • within your price range
  • lots of storage
  • stiff, comfortable cruiser

Where it fails is in the open transom. Grampian 34s came in two version, the centre-cockpit ketch (our boat) and an aft-cockpit sloop. Same hull.

Grampians are Canadian-built boats, well known for their solid, simple construction. They're not fancy, but they are great cruisers. If you see one in good shape, you should take a look.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 11-23-2011
eherlihy's Avatar
Learning the HARD way...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 3,374
Thanks: 94
Thanked 51 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 8
eherlihy will become famous soon enough
1988, or later Pearson 33.

Meets ALL of your requirements, and most of your wish list... - well, except the mermaid...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 11-23-2011
RobGallagher's Avatar
HANUMAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Noank, Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,318
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Are you kidding? How do you expect to maintain any sort of credibility around here recommending the New York 36 on this threar? The New York 36 would be perfect...
With the exception that it is not 30-33 feet.
With the exception that the NY 36 is anything but on the stiff side.
With the exception of lacking the 6'1 headroom throughout.
With the exception of not having the large head with semi-comfortable shower.
With the exception of the propane system and hotwater heater (I know these were an option but never saw either o an Chesapeake Bay NY 36)

In fact, the NY 36 would be the perfect boat with the exception of nearly everything the O.P. had asked for....
36 is out of my league. Even if it met some of my goals it's too big for my mooring and I just sunk a brand spanking new one.

So Jeff, did you have a suggestion? I am most interested to hear what you have in mind!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 11-23-2011
RobGallagher's Avatar
HANUMAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Noank, Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,318
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
1988, or later Pearson 33.

Meets ALL of your requirements, and most of your wish list... - well, except the mermaid...
Actually, I believe it's only the 1990 and 1991 that have the swim platform. And there are only two for sale right now, one on the west coast, the other does not look well taken care of... looks like damage to the toe rail/hull to deck joint in the photo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 11-24-2011
eherlihy's Avatar
Learning the HARD way...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 3,374
Thanks: 94
Thanked 51 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 8
eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Actually, I believe it's only the 1990 and 1991 that have the swim platform. And there are only two for sale right now, one on the west coast, the other does not look well taken care of... looks like damage to the toe rail/hull to deck joint in the photo.
You're right about the vintage. 1990 & 1991 only.

The one in Oriental has been listed for over two years, and IIRC, the listed price has been a lot lower. It does look like the interior needs a LOT of work, and that water is getting in, but it's not beyond repair. The toe rail damage appears to be only the rub rail. It's a shame because, unlike wine, this is not going to get better with age. There was a picture on Dan Pheiffer's website that showed THIS boat being sailed by a lovely looking woman in a black dress.

I suggest that if you have time, that you call the broker, and express your concerns, and have him help you decide if it's worth a look.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 11-24-2011
RobGallagher's Avatar
HANUMAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Noank, Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,318
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

Considering all of your requirements, a few are going to be tough to meet. In a boat 30-33' finding one with a large head will be difficult. Finding a walk through transom will also be tough. When you put the max price at 40K you restrict yourself to boats from the mid to late 80's and early 90's. Very few boats from the 80's came with open transoms. Some, like Newport and O'day, came with swim platforms. Maybe that is good enough?

Some specific boats you should consider are:
Catalina 30 - boats in the early 90's came with open transom
Hunter 33.5 / 35.5 - as mentioned
O'day 35 - no walk through transom but it does have a nice swim platform - is that good enough?
Newport 33 - again, no open transom, but real nice swim platform with steps.
Beneteau First 310 - I don't know anything about this boat but it looks like it would fit the bill.


Good enough,
BArry
Thanks for the suggestions.

There is one Hunter 33.5 I'm going to try to look at in New Jersey.

The Catalina 30 started making a walk through transom in 1990. The also changed the floor pan, raising the floor up a couple of inches. Believe it or not, I cannot stand up anywhere inside this model Catalina 30.

The 1989, before the walk through transom, has standing headroom because they used a different floor pan, you can actually see that it bevels down a about two inches at the edges all the way around the salon.

I just looked at a Beneteau First 310. Great boat, NO headroom. Too bad.



O'day 35 is too long for my mooring regulations. I considered the O'day 322 but it seems there are some design and quality flaws at the end of O'day's run. Not slamming them, but I'm second guessing them. Otherwise the 322 has most of the things on my list

I could not find any Newport 33's with that design for sale. I do like the layout down below on the 30. Like the O'day's, I'm concerned about build quality in the last couple of years of production.

I know I'm sounding very picky, but this is my life savings we are talking here

Last edited by RobGallagher; 11-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 11-24-2011
eherlihy's Avatar
Learning the HARD way...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 3,374
Thanks: 94
Thanked 51 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 8
eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Here is the picture;


This stuck in my mind because she's not dressed in typical sailing garb...
RobGallagher likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-24-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 11-24-2011
RobGallagher's Avatar
HANUMAN
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Noank, Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,318
Thanks: 7
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

This stuck in my mind because she's not dressed in typical sailing garb...
I'm single date lots of Asian women. That's what they wear to go sailing
(not being sexist, my non-sailing male friends need coaching as to what to bring and wear).

Back on topic,

Beautiful boat.
Too bad about the state of disrepair.
I sent the broker and email, but judging from the photo's it will have to be a steal. Looks like the cushions are ruined and there are lots of leaks. I just hope the deck core is not wet. Probably too much work for a boat priced at the top of my budget. Even if it went for 30K it looks like there is over 10K of work to be done just in the photos. That's without even scratching the surface.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Seacock" vs. "ballcock" or "ball valve?" SEMIJim Gear & Maintenance 18 09-02-2013 05:31 PM
The "contemplation boat" thread bljones General Discussion (sailing related) 17 03-29-2010 07:45 PM
Not another "What's the best blue water boat" thread CapnHand Boat Review and Purchase Forum 13 09-29-2007 06:04 AM
C270 Main Sail "stack Pack", Quick Cover", "lazy Bag" Install randy22556 Catalina 1 02-28-2007 11:53 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.