SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Not another &*%@ing "Help Me Find The Right Boat" thread?!? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/81043-not-another-%2A%25%40ing-help-me-find-right-boat-thread.html)

RobGallagher 11-23-2011 02:07 PM

Not another &*%@ing "Help Me Find The Right Boat" thread?!?

Budget = selling price under $40,000 ( I figure it's safe to look at boats asking up to 50K).
Length = 30 to 33 ft
Draft = less than 6 ft, closer to 5 ft is preferable for my mooring
Keel = fin, wing, centerboard... cruiser/racer, just plane fun to sail.

Use = mostly day sailing, spending three- five nights per week aboard in the summer. A couple of week+ cruises consisting of mostly day sails to the next port.

Access = kept on a mooring with easy access to pump out, battery charge.

Cruising area = Long Island Sound, Fisher's Island Sound, Block Island Sound, Narragansett Bay.

Important Stuff =

On the stiff side. Sailing the sounds in New England can lead to an insane variety of conditions within a short time. Often, by the time the main is reefed conditions have changed, one is completely becalmed and being attacked by flesh eating flies...see Samuel Clemen's quotes for more info.

Head room. I'm 6' 1" and really tired of stooping. I want to be comfortable down below. I like to cook on board so the galley area design would be important.

Large head so I can (semi) comfortably shower.

Ease of boarding through the transom. i.e. Walk or step through transom. Lugging coolers and crap back and forth to the mooring from the dink or kayak. I'm getting back into SCUBA.

Wish list; Most lines lead to the cockpit, self tailing winches, propane, hot water, fractional rig, self cleaning bottom, mermaid, etc...

Faster 11-23-2011 03:20 PM

Hunter Legend 33.5? good luck on the mermaid (maybe she'll clean the bottom!) ;):)

sailordave 11-23-2011 03:45 PM

There is a CS33 for sale in Rock Hall MD

$39K

davidpm 11-23-2011 04:05 PM

Sabre 28
Smaller than your spec but has the rest
Oops reread your post. No walk through transom.

RobGallagher 11-23-2011 05:03 PM

@ Faster, Hunter Legend is not something I had considered, interesting...Thanks

@ Sailordave, CS33 was on my short list, seems like a rock solid boat, but the lack of a step through transom scratched it off my list, although it's still on the back burner because of the builders reputation.

@ Davidpm, Another great boat, but as you said, no step through transom. Thanks for trying :D

Faster 11-23-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobGallagher (Post 799970)
@ Faster, Hunter Legend is not something I had considered, interesting...Thanks

Of all the Hunter series' out there these are the ones I like .. well proportioned frac rig, good cockpit and and nice layout below.. they come into their own more in the 35.5 and 37.5 versions.. but the basics are there in the 33.5 too.

Despite rather high freeboard they are still attractive boats, without the 'hot tub' cockpits of later versions. The only beef I have with the open transom is that it is so severely raked that it's a big step from the dinghy to the platform.. a customized ladder could deal with that.

Brezzin 11-23-2011 06:06 PM

Rob - off topic but if your getting back into scuba let me know I dive a lot with the guys from Seconn as well as others. I'm always looking for dive buddies. I'm also joining Innerspace dive club. Did a trip to Canada with them this past summer.

RobGallagher 11-23-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brezzin (Post 799987)
Rob - off topic but if your getting back into scuba let me know I dive a lot with the guys from Seconn as well as others. I'm always looking for dive buddies. I'm also joining Innerspace dive club. Did a trip to Canada with them this past summer.

Great idea, thanks. And off off topic, if you ever need crew send me a message.

WDS123 11-23-2011 07:02 PM

NY 36

With exception of transom

olson34 11-23-2011 07:15 PM

an Olson 911S would meet most of your requirements, and majorly out sail most of the other ones, too.
L