Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011

OutnBacker is on a distinguished road
Help ID this boat?

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and rather new to sailing anything bigger than a canoe. Yes, I sail a canoe . I've run across an interesting sloop located in Oregon, about 250 miles south of here. Too far for a casual look-see, but what intriques me is that the owner/seller doesn't know anything about it's manufacture, other than it says "Malibu 18" on the title. The pics he sent me show a beautiful boat, well kept. It's a 1978 with what I think is a north sea stern??? He says there are no visible hull or serial ID plates that he can find, just a molded-in number in the glass. The title is valid.

Here's a link to a few pics, showing a crude rendition of the logo that I made in Paint. I blew up the image of logo off the rudder. I've found absolutely nothing on the web. Neither has the seller.
Malibu Sloop pictures by OutnBacker - Photobucket

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You can trace the 'molded in number' (The HIN) that may give you some information. Ask the seller to forward the code and you may be able to break it down here:

HIN / MIC translatesHUllidentificationnumbermanufacturerside ntificationcode

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-24-2011

Thanks, Faster.

I let things slide for awhile, but with this new info, I think I'll shoot the guy a line and see if he still has the boat. I wanted to go down to Oregon and check it out in Sept but there are so many boats here in the Puget Sound area that I figured I could find one here that would somewhat match it. But no deal. Open 18 footers are hard to find it seems.

Meanwhile, I'm open to any other input from the forum...

John in Everett, WA
Old 11-24-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutnBacker View Post
Thanks, Faster.

I let things slide for awhile, but with this new info, I think I'll shoot the guy a line and see if he still has the boat. I wanted to go down to Oregon and check it out in Sept but there are so many boats here in the Puget Sound area that I figured I could find one here that would somewhat match it. But no deal. Open 18 footers are hard to find it seems.

Meanwhile, I'm open to any other input from the forum...

John in Everett, WA
No idea what the boat is but it's a cutie and very unique with that "bum". From the pictures, looks decently built.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-24-2011

I have to admit, the style is what keeps me so interested. I can't decide if the hull looks fast or stable under fire. Most 18ftrs look like slabs to me - and very wet riding. It was suggested on another forum that I write Ted Brewer, as the opinion was that it looked to be of his design. Mr. Brewer wrote back the same day, saying it was a very lovely boat, but not one of his. So, I remain stumped.

I just sent an e-mail to the seller (yes, I kept his pics and his contact). If he still has it and is willing to trouble with it, I'll have the hull numbers soon.

Keep the guesses coming. Someone HAS to know this boat.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-24-2011

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
‘Looks like a boat made by Orion Yachts of Mt. Jackson, VA, now defunct and I assume, not connected to the current yacht builder in Turkey. The logo looks a bit like the rings of Orion with a wave / boat pattern superimposed, don’t you think? I did a quick search and the only thing I found was that the first 3 characters of the HIN would be “YLX” and they went out of business in 1978. Anybody know any more??
Old 11-24-2011

VentureCat15 is on a distinguished road
The design looks like it's based on lifeboat hull lines.
Old 11-24-2011

Geoff54,

Thanks for that. I now recall that the seller saw a plaque on the mast that said Orion. But he suggested that the mast could have been made for lots of different boats and that he didn't think it definitely ID'd the boat. Plausible enough. But I think you may be on to something here. The boat is a 1978, the year Orion went down. They are listed as a sailboat maker only - which might be why this boat seems so stout. If I can positively ID the logo and match it to Orion Yachts, then Bingo! I'll pull the trigger and drive down to McMinnville, Oregon if he still has the boat. Til then, I'll have to wait for his response, if any, on the prefix.

Thank you.

Venturecat15,
I'm not sure of the lifeboat aspect, but it does indeed give the appearance of a stout, North Sea cutter type - not too fast, but it'll get you there when things get rough. The seller says it is a bit tender til it heels to 10degrees, then stiff as a board no matter what.
Old 11-29-2011

Update;

The owner still has the boat. And, he says he remembers that the previous owner did indeed mention that it was built by Orion. So, that does it. Still, not one single reference on-line as to any club or associations, pictures, specs, or anything at all that would help a virtual novice know his boat. So why should I buy it? Maybe because it's the ONLY open boat in this size around here for 250 miles, and it fits the requirements that I have for it. Plus, it's only $1600.

I'll be contacting the seller again forthwith.

...gawd, this is gonna hurt at the gas pump!
Old 11-30-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
She is good looking, and may not be very slow. She's no laser, but she has firm bilges to keep her upright and a fine enough bow to go through the water well. Boats like that can be great fun. I own a 19' dory that I've sailed on both shores of Long Island, and towed as far as Cape Cod and the Chesapeake.
I also sail a canoe.