View Poll Results: Do you think this boat is up to the tasks i set for it
yes 0 0%
no 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
All I could find is this pic, no idea of underwater shape or ballast/displacement etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Contest Yachts-1.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
CONTEST 29 sailboat on sailboatdata.com looks pretty much like that but slightly beamier and longer and the cabin as i mentioned is ofset a bit and it apperantly has slightly more ballast
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2011

yup thats the one i found a pic of one for sale showing the underwater shape CONOPLEX BV HOLLAND CONTEST 30/1 and if u scroll thru u should be able to see what i mean by offset bulkhead and theres a close up of the rudder in question too i just want some input before i invest money and sweat equity into this boat
Old 11-27-2011

Here are the pics you found, 2 of the hull and 2 showing the main bulkhead supporting the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Contest Yachts-2.jpg   Contest Yachts-1.jpg   Contest Yachts-3.jpg   Contest Yachts-4.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011

I don't think I would say it is a disaster exactly. Do you have the displacement and ballast figures? The advert states 30' x 28' WL (?) x 9'3" beam and draft of 4'3". I doubt the waterline length is correct though - looks more like 24 or 25.

Jeff is correct about the capsize screening formula though - it only uses 2 factors, beam and displacement. For a given beam heavier wins. Sad actually that it has achieved such notoriety.

Last edited by mitiempo; 11-27-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2011

oh i mean that i dont dispute of course a mathematical formula can only have a limited number of variables and obviously it cant be to complex im just asking do u think from the looks of it if we assume simmilar figures as the 29as they have almost identical underbodies do u think hes right about it being shoddily constructed because i dont want to invest in something i wont be bale to use how i want it i was hoping to step up from coastal cruising with this boat, in any case if theres any ideas of mods u can thin of or anything to salvage my dream that would be good too but umm according to the previous owner the displacement is 9000 dry and 4000 ballast which puts it at a simmilar weight as the 29 but with higher ballast to displacement ratio 8500 to 3300 vs 9000 to 4000
Old 11-27-2011

the waterline should be 24 i mean in order to have a 28 foot waterline at 30 feet it would not have the overhangs it has and it would most liely need a plumb bow which it clearly doesnt have
Old 11-27-2011

The ballast/displacement ratio of 44% on a narrow beam, even with a fairly shallow keel, is good.
I think the big issue is how it is actually constructed although I don't think it can be that shoddy.

We can't all have a Farr 11.6.
Old 11-28-2011

thats what i figured, and i figured having the doghouse assuming i make storms shutters means if it does cpsize having a largwe volume of air pushed 2 feet underwater will actually act as negative ballst as air does not lie being pushed underwater same principle the coast guards 60 footers use i beleive. in terms of the lay up before buying it i was under the impression hand lay up is more sturdy than chop and it does have very thick fiberglass except for the bow right at the deck to hull mount but its only the bow everywhere else at the keel it is several inches thick and at the waterline it is around an inch and a quarter thic but the idea of these framing elements does not exactly create faith in its seahandling ability i can say when u take it out in the water which i have only had occassion to do twice it feels like a 9000 pound block of lead and it takes forever to accellarate, but if i can improve the structural elements that would be great, and yes i agree some of us cant afford a boat built in the last twenty years although farr does build beautifull boats if i had the money my dream boat is actually a c and c 121 but i was always under the impression that boats from the sixties and seventies were the most seaworthy and the eighties were concidered the dark ages no
Old 11-28-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think we are starting to get a better understanding of what the model is exactly. The 29 and your 30 were designed by different people so the fact that they have a similar look may hide the fact that there are subtle but important differences in the hull shape.

Jeff is very knowledgeable about boat designs and has worked as a designer. Since he has personal experience with Contests of the era of yours you should listen to what he has to say. One caveat, he has a much higher appreciation of modern designs than the traditional, but the reality is that for many people the cost of a modern, quality cruising boat is just not in the ball park so the question becomes, which of the older boats is best.

Some other comments, if your fiance is going to go offshore with you, she MUST be an active crewmember. There are no passengers in boats of the size we are talking about. We cruise in a 36,000 lb, 45 footer and there is still no room for a passenger. If she tries to go along to keep you company she will be miserable and so will you. If she does not want to be an active crewmember, find someone to go with you and have her fly to Bermuda - it is a great spot to visit.

I don't think they still make the Edson pump I mentioned - that is my I mentioned trying to find one used. If it were new you could not afford one anyway. They were close to $1000 20 years ago - but they do an incredible job. I agree with the comments about Whale pumps, the aluminum castings do corrode and the pumps are very pricey - the Hendersons are better since they are all plastic.

The trip to Bermuda can be totally benign or you can get the crap kicked out of you - it is totally unpredictable. It is not like the Southern Ocean and the chance of a knockdown is very slight at the season you should go - late May - early June departure from Lake Ontario is ideal. To all the people who say that Great Lake sailing can be just like offshore, it ain't true. I sailed on the lakes for close to 40 years before heading off and the conditions are different. The lakes can be terrible in November for example, but people aren't sailing then. On the ocean we have had periods of a week where the winds were never less than 25 knots and often more like 35 knots - you never get that on the lakes. Most people think in terms of one bad storm or squall, beyond that are the extended periods of fairly high winds and swells/waves in the 10 to 15 foot range.

Not sure what your budget range is, but there are some incredible bargains around. Saw in Gam that there was a Hullmaster 27 (Brewer design/decent build I think) for $2900. It may be a piece of junk but at least illustrates what a keen seller wants. Some people are still thinking about what they paid for their boat not the realities of the market - you just need to find the realistic ones. If you are considering an Alberg 30 or Contessa 32, I would lean to the latter with one warning - many Contessas were bought as hull and decks and finished at home and that may be a very good thing or not ... Also, headroom is a bit limited as I remember if you are more than about 5'10".

Tags
bluewater , contest , conyplex , project boat , strengthen