View Poll Results: Do you think this boat is up to the tasks i set for it
yes 0 0%
no 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
oh yes i do have a 90 percent jib in very good condition actually there all hanked on something i had to learn with this boat being used to crewing on modern boats i was like what is this contraption took about 2 minutes on the water to figure it out. i was just concerned about atlantic storms u know and heaving to might be overpowered with a 90 percent jib. oh i never knew there were screw ins i shoud check the store for that hmmm for fuel storage i may be able to build a fuel locker in the aft cockpit locker it already has a vent built right in so sounds like a good place and it could fit around 100 or 200 us galons in that space its pretty large just need to build some sort of encapsulation for ground taxckle i have 1000 feet of three eights chain and about 2000 feet nylon and i have a 45 pound plow a 35 pound bruce and a 25 pound of one of thiose type everyone has the folding ones that are virtually useless. im definitely planning on having fun with sheet to tiller im guessing shock cord means bungee cord i wowonder if the book is available online anywhere hmm... oh and the rudder check sounds really straightforward illl just fdo that before launch next year, and that actually sounds ingenious how were they fastened to the window so they wouldnt fall off, and would the breaking strength of marine ply really protect tempered glass. oh wow for the jacklines the padeyes ssound like a good idea can u give me a better idea of how that would work ive akways used a climbing harness is that sufficient for sailing for me its always been like a just in case thing that i bring but am i being foolish using this. oh do they i figured they just checke for rotten core and keel bolts and this boat has neither keel bolts nor coring but i may get a survey i dont have insurance i figured on a 13 000 dollar boat do i really need it and foir the drogue thanks, ill check them out, also for storm jibs could i use a jib from my dhingy because its small or would it be too lightweight pf construction to do the job
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
1000 feet of 3/8" chain? At over 1 1/2 lbs per foot that is over 1500 lbs.

1000 feet of nylon is pretty light.

100 to 200 US gallons in the stern? That is over 600 lbs for 100 gallons and 1200 lbs for 200 gallons - in the stern?

For sheet to tiller steering use surgical tubing. Shock cord doesn't last long in the sun.
Old 11-29-2011

100 feet of chain sorry finger was overzealous and well theres no tank and that may wheigh a bit much but it look like a cavernous space so i just did a rough guess probably much less than 100 gallons but its big although aft isnt the greatest place for a tank u know since it makes the boat rather unbalanced and makes it likely to be pooped and oh surgical tubing i heard of that i watched the videos from a guy circumnavigating in a vega i just never knew why but that makes sense but yes for gas i suppose aft is a bad idea i just figured its ventilated but on second thought id like a bouyant stern....hmmmmmm maybe more like 10 gallons there and maybe move my water storage to below thge v berth and my gas storage to in the old engine compartment but make it ventilated somehow its really a no good solution answer what about sailing off the coast of nova scotia would i need as much gas then although im assuming id get a nasty breeze from the labrodor sea
Old 11-29-2011

i checked that site u showed me for drogues is this stuff good for making jacklines Webbing Polyester 2" Black Seat Belt 5500# or would this here be sufficient Webbing Tubular Polyester 1" 2700# ive heard 6000 as the figure for breaking strength is that right or is 3000 more like a realistic necessarry breaking strength i mean obviously more is better but more also means ore likely to trip me also where can i find a tether ive never actually bought one
Old 12-08-2011

tra is on a distinguished road
I have a Contest 27'. I love it! It's my ninth and last sail boat. While others like the modern designs I prefer the old. I also don't watch Americas Cup racing anymore. Bring back the twelve meters and I will. I have no stringer rot and if my boat rounds up in heavy air I will reef or keep the main sheet in my hand so can dump some air. The deck does not flex and the mast does not compress the cabin top.
I have owned everything from a Bock 18 to a Bristol 40. This is my favorite, hands down. It's not the fastest. If I wanted fast I would buy a powerboat. I suggest you go to San Fransisco Single Handed Sailing and download the free book on singlehanded sailing.
Old 12-08-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Good point on the Singlehanded sailing book by Andrew Evans. Here's the link:
Singlehanded Tips Book
Old 12-12-2011

FoolishMuse is on a distinguished road
Thanks for pointing out my book. You can find video of my sheet to tiller steering system on Youtube:
FoolishMuseSelfSteering.wmv - YouTube
mitiempo likes this.
Old 12-13-2011

igorkiporouk is on a distinguished road
I have the same boat - Contest 30 Mk1. I sail it for 5 years in Mediterraneo with my wife. Maybe it is not the best boat, but i like it. It is very old (1967) but strong. During the passage from Sardinia to Menorca we experiensed the gale force 8 that lasted 2 days. The boat hove to well with small piece of rolled genoa and fixed tiller at the angle about 60 degree to the waves. I use self made selfsteering windvane during the passages. So I think it is e good small boat that you can buy cheap.
Good sailing.
Old 12-20-2011

igorkiporouk how did you mke your windvane im curious, and i dont have a furler on mine would you suggest i get a storm jib or use the 90 percent working jib for heaving to also in your boat do you have a bige pump how is yours set up, since im planning on installing one on mine. ad i will definitely take a look at the book thaks for the tip
Old 12-20-2011

igorkiporouk is on a distinguished road
My windvane is servopendulum, build it from scrap. It is not perfect, every year i modify it, but I would not go sailing without it. I don't have electrical autopilot.
I have only one set of sails, because last summer I shortened the mast, to bring the rig dimensions to original (it was somewhat bigger), and ordered main and genoa from Lee Sails. (Good quality and low price). Gennaker also Lee Sails.
The electrical bilge pump is small one, just to pump out the water that drips thru shaft seal (i keep it little bit loose for shaft lubrication) I have also manual diaphragm pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Contest Yachts-2010-07.jpg  

Tags
bluewater , contest , conyplex , project boat , strengthen