Contest Yachts - Page 6 - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: Do you think this boat is up to the tasks i set for it
yes 0 0%
no 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 69 Old 12-20-2011 Thread Starter

if i were to build one like yours are there plans you used or a step by step thing i could follow, and how did you set up the manual bilge pump? where does it empty from the hull above the waterline im assuming. but yes if you could tll me how you made your windvane that would be awesome
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 69 Old 12-20-2011
tra

I would like to see more pictures of igorkipurok's boat, inside and out. I like stealing other peoples ideas. lA legitimate criticism of the early Contest boat is the use of mahogany on exterior wood. If not protected by paint or varnish it will eventually delaminate and, or rot. Teak is much better, it doesn't rot, it doesn't rust, it just waits for better days. 'Kinda like fiberglass

My cabin hatch has problems on the sides and aft. For now I'm using butyl backed silver foil tape on the edges. Wal Mart. The former owner painted the hatch and comming dark brown but did not address the water damage caused by water intrusion and subsiquent discoloration of the hatch's underside (in the cabin)

For me, these old Contests are like fine old cars or airplanes 'All clean and shiny and I'd be proud to take her anywhere, even to a Hincky Yacht gathering, since a member of that legendary family once owned mine.
post #53 of 69 Old 12-20-2011

Perhaps i don't have some plan o instructions, just some rough sketches. I took something from Walt Murray (principal dimensions and crankshaft gear), some ideas from windpilot and others brands. I started to build it before i bought the boat and changed consruction several times adapting to materials that managed obtain cheaply o gratis. Some cuttings of SS pipes, pieces of plastic. I found on the beach plastik rudder from small sailing dinghy (or cat) and used it for pendulum oar blade (before that i broke two wooden blades). How i told before, i continue to make small improvements every season on the basis of experiense. If you want to build your own, i think the OS Walt free plan will be very useful. (look for it in internet,). It designed to use minimum tools and readily available materials. If you will like it, i still have some of its detailed drawings.
My manual bilge pumpe came with the boat. It is mounted in cocpit, under the bunk (see pics). Handle pipe i keep in locker. Suction pipe go in the same bilge sump, where electrical pump with floating switch mounted. Output Thru-Hull fitting is above waterline
Attached Thumbnails
2009-12.JPG   P1030606.JPG  
post #54 of 69 Old 12-20-2011

You can see pictures hereФото@Mail.Ru: igor kiporouk : Boat: фото
About cabin hatch: I rebuild my, it was rotten. Used only some parts of the old frame.
post #55 of 69 Old 12-31-2011
tra

Please contact me at lrb@va.metrocast.net to respond to questions about yor mediteranean travels.
post #56 of 69 Old 11-01-2014

Re: Contest Yachts

how come no matter what you buy whether it be a pair of shoes there alway someone waiting to pee on your bonfire you were happy with your boat till now only you and you a loan can tell how your boat sails every one have different experiences and views has he ever stopped to think it might have been his boat that was wrong for him and he was pushing it to hard ? just sail into the sunset and enjoy
post #57 of 69 Old 11-01-2014

It is a 3 year old post, but at least most posters used punctuation.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #58 of 69 Old 11-01-2014

I am unfamiliar with the older Contest yachts, but I have owned a 1984 Contest 48 for 18 years and while I have sailed on a wide range of boats, from Swans to Hunters, there are few boats that I would be willing to take off-shore than mine. Not only was she built to take on the roughest conditions, but she does so without complaining and with a large degree of comfort for my wife and me. We have sailed her through a 987-millibar low without any damage or injuries and have covered tens of thousands of blue-water miles in above-average times. Her balance is remarkable and she heaves-to easily.

Whereas we don't get particularly good support from the Conyplex yard where she was built, I do get surprisingly quick responses from her designer, Dick Zaal. I don't know if Mr. Zaal designed the Contest 30 in question or not but, if he did, I would suggest that you contact him regarding some of the questions posed.

Fair winds and calm seas.
post #59 of 69 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
You have the absolute wrong boat if you would "like to be able to take a 120 foot breaking wave broadside and survive". My family owned a Contest of the same era as your boat. While Contests were beautifully finished inside, from a build quality standpoint and mopre specifically from a structural viewpoint, they were very poorly engineered and constructed. While some of the built in defects may have been corrected by prior owners, and some of the could be corrected with a massive rebuilding effort, there is no work around for the poor handling characteristics of these boats.

And while this is true of many boats of this era, structurally, the internal framing of the Contests consisted of softwood framing poorly glassed into the hull. These elements included ncluded the tranverse frames which transfered the keel loads out to the hull.

Another questionable structural element was the mast support. On our boat, the mast would compress the deck to the point that if you chose to close the door to the forward cabin, the deck would compress making it impossible re-open the door again until sheets were eased and the point of sail altered sufficiently to take the strain off of the mast support.

Other build quality issues which may have been corrected by now, included a dubious electrical system which would cut out, and short out at random, black iron fuel tanks and iron engine exhaust systems.

During the time that we owned our boat, my father remedied as many of these built-in defects. The rest we lived with.

But the sailing characteristics was the worst thing about these boats. These were early fin keel-spade rudder boats. The hull forms were such that as these boats heeled over, they would jack up out of the water, and suddenly and unpredictably reach a point where they would aerate their rudders and round up without any warning. I have been on other boats with this same issue, but these were the worst that I have ever experienced. In many boats with this problem, there was some kind of clue that this was about to occur, and you would learn to watch for that clue such as limiting the heel to a maximum heel angle that was safe to prevent the round-up. In the case of the Contest in gusty conditions, this happened so suddenly, and without a 'tell', that you could not play the sails quickly enough to prevent the round up, and the round up could be so quick that it can throw you onto the other tack.

In constant wind and wave conditions this was not much of a problem, you could tweak and feather, but in the larger waves encountered offshore, and with the difference in wind strength between the trough and the crest, these boats would quickly wear down a crew.

For that reason, while these boats might make reasonable coastal cruisers, they would be somewhere near the bottom of a list of boats that I would ever think of making an offshore passage in.

Jeff
I"m just wondering Jeff, What boat do you own?
post #60 of 69 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longkeel32 View Post
I"m just wondering Jeff, What boat do you own?
I am curious as to why you are asking this question, but I currently own a Farr 11.6, (Farr design 72 rather than the later 11.6), which is a moderately high performance, offshore capable, cruiser. I have owned 16 boats over my sailing life from a wooden 1939 Stadel Cutter and a lapstrake 1949 Folkboat, some CCA era and IOR era racer/cruisers and a broad range of dinghies, race boats, racer-cruisers, and simple cruisers.

In reading my comments on the Contests above, I am a little concerned that they do not clearly tell the whole story. My comments should be seen as applying to the early models. At some point in the 1980's, Contest seemed to come up dramatically in their overall design and build quality and those boats have an excellent reputation. I have little or no experience with these later boats.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 1 Week Ago at 09:49 AM.

Tags
bluewater , contest , conyplex , project boat , strengthen

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.