yes 0 0%
no 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
Question Contest Yachts

hello everyone im kinda new here well not really i mean ive been lurking the forums for years but i never really had a need to ask questions till now. But recentrly instead of crewing on friends boats i went and purchased my own since i was eager to get more on water time myself. SO in august i purchased a contest 30 type a the one that klooks like the 29 on deck. Now i am planning for a hop to bermuda and back within the next 5 years when i have finished work on the boat. Now i have a few questions a) the absence of a compression post anywhere in the boat strikes me as odd is it like that for all of thses boats i mean it seems relatively stiff and solid just curious, two i was wondering if to sprevent the likliehood of being swamped in the case of a large breaking wave i should mould some port covers that could be fastened on the exterior of the window. Next the boat i bought did not have a built in stove, although all the others ive seen do it just seems to have had 2 iceboxes instead of one and a stove. next the bow has side to side stringers which im sure provide support to the foredeck and while the boat seems very heavily built the boa weems rather weakly built in comparison any ideas for strengthening it. also the traveler has clam cleats and id lkike to change to cam but i need no input on that really however i would appreciate any plans of the hull, deck or others specs because im also planning on fitting some sort of a windvane most likely i will build it myself due to general poorness aha. also it seems to not have a bilge pump so a diaphragm pump is priority numero uno. however in terms f installing one would i be correct to assume putting a loop to the top of the deck floor with an ano siphon vlve and a thru hull halfway between the waterline and the the deck and maybe a seacock as well. a bilge pump is particularily important because well everything drains to the bilge in this boat the sink the chain locker all of it however the hull does seem very solid and the inside is completely covered in epoxy which definitely the chainplates were inspected by a rigger and he said they and the standing rigging are almost new and have plenty of life in them so thats good. so pretty much any info on the boat would be appreciated in aditttion the rudder seems rather trembly im assuming thats due to turbulence caused by the keel and skeg in any case it almost feels as if it has prop wash constantly which it doesnt because the inboard we replaced with an outboard although it still has a working transmmission. So my list of things to get so far is blge pump, windvane, storm jib, storm hatch covers, solar panels to charge batteries, a series drogue, a collision mat and some tarp just in case some sailtape and some jacklines (already have the harness crewing on other ppls boats) any other ideas, the boat is very barebones with no chartplotter or speed sensor or wind or anything, i have a compass some charts and a handheld gps and a vhf personally even when im on friends boats with a chartplotter i double check by hand anyways
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
I put Contest 30 into a search engine. The consensus is the boat has good craftsmanship, strong construction, and the helm is balanced. The deck has no balsa core to rot out, so it may seem thin and might give a bit. You could always put a compression post in, but may want to check with other boat owners to see if the arch holding the mast is strong. Probably is. The propeller could cause the turbulence around the rudder and you may want to have it pulled, but leave the shaft in place, otherwise plugging the shaft hole so that it is impossible to leak might be a problem. The original engine was said to be an A4 gasoline. At 10 horsepower, it has to be a direct drive running at low RPM. You might also want a small electrical bilge pump that will keep the water down when the boat is unattended, besides a large manual diaphragm pump. As for electronics, at least get a depth finder, GPS and VHF radio combination. A chart plotter would also be nice.
Old 11-26-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Some general comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchess of montrose View Post
hello everyone im kinda new here well not really i mean ive been lurking the forums for years but i never really had a need to ask questions till now. But recentrly instead of crewing on friends boats i went and purchased my own since i was eager to get more on water time myself. SO in august i purchased a contest 30 type a the one that klooks like the 29 on deck. Now i am planning for a hop to bermuda and back within the next 5 years when i have finished work on the boat. Now i have a few questions a) the absence of a compression post anywhere in the boat strikes me as odd is it like that for all of thses boats i mean it seems relatively stiff and solid just curious, two i was wondering if to sprevent the likliehood of being swamped in the case of a large breaking wave i should mould some port covers that could be fastened on the exterior of the window. Next the boat i bought did not have a built in stove, although all the others ive seen do it just seems to have had 2 iceboxes instead of one and a stove. next the bow has side to side stringers which im sure provide support to the foredeck and while the boat seems very heavily built the boa weems rather weakly built in comparison any ideas for strengthening it. also the traveler has clam cleats and id lkike to change to cam but i need no input on that really however i would appreciate any plans of the hull, deck or others specs because im also planning on fitting some sort of a windvane most likely i will build it myself due to general poorness aha. also it seems to not have a bilge pump so a diaphragm pump is priority numero uno. however in terms f installing one would i be correct to assume putting a loop to the top of the deck floor with an ano siphon vlve and a thru hull halfway between the waterline and the the deck and maybe a seacock as well. a bilge pump is particularily important because well everything drains to the bilge in this boat the sink the chain locker all of it however the hull does seem very solid and the inside is completely covered in epoxy which definitely the chainplates were inspected by a rigger and he said they and the standing rigging are almost new and have plenty of life in them so thats good. so pretty much any info on the boat would be appreciated in aditttion the rudder seems rather trembly im assuming thats due to turbulence caused by the keel and skeg in any case it almost feels as if it has prop wash constantly which it doesnt because the inboard we replaced with an outboard although it still has a working transmmission. So my list of things to get so far is blge pump, windvane, storm jib, storm hatch covers, solar panels to charge batteries, a series drogue, a collision mat and some tarp just in case some sailtape and some jacklines (already have the harness crewing on other ppls boats) any other ideas, the boat is very barebones with no chartplotter or speed sensor or wind or anything, i have a compass some charts and a handheld gps and a vhf personally even when im on friends boats with a chartplotter i double check by hand anyways
i don't know this particular boat, but some comments I would make:
  • Not sure you need storm shutters for the ports unless they are quite large. If they are the standard size I suspect you are ok without them.
  • Having everything drain into the bilge I find particularly undesirable. You may want to put a couple of throughhulls in for this purpose. What does the head do? Perhaps you can use it for the head sink drain too.
  • If you would feel better having a compression post go ahead, at worst it would provide a good handhold in the middle of the boat and that is always a good thing.
  • Have you had the boat out of the water to test the rudder? Just give it a good tuck or two in any direction it can move. If it wobbly then you need to replace a bearing or two, if not, the wiggling might just be an oddity of the boat.
  • Edson used to make a monstrous great manual blige pump - they claimed a gallon a stroke. Check the consignment stores and see if you can get one - way better than a Whale or Henderson. I would agree with someone else who suggested an electric one for routine water. They are cheap and easy.
  • If you are going with the outboard rather than an inboard, have you pulled old engine? Would provide a terrific storage space.
  • For cooking, the cheapest and easiest approach might be an Origo, non-pressurized alchohol 2 burner. You could use one of your ice boxes for longer term food storage and strap the cooker to the top.
  • Before getting a storm jib, imagine what it would be like to change jibs at the point the storm jib would be needed. If you have a furler it gets nasty since when you lower the jib it is only connected at three corners and you need to keep it onboard before you can remove it. How large a crew do you envision? hard to with one person. Would it be possible to install a removable inner stay just for the storm jib? Deck would need to reinforced and you likely would want running backstays for support.
  • Keep your eyes open for a used Monitor or Aries vane. You do see them on eBay sometimes. Handmade vanes can be tricky to get to work. The ones I have seen being used cruising are typically on very long-keeled, traditional boats that probably would steer themselves pretty well anyway. Also, see if you find a copy of John Letcher's book on steering a boat with lines from sheets to tiller (if you have such). Final steering thought - if this is going to be a one-off trip to Bermuda a wheel pilot autohelm would likely be all you need. If you are going to do a lot of offshore you will want the vane.
  • On a 30' boat you will be pressed for space so if you can have one item do two or three things you should. In this regard you probably could use the storm jib as a collision mat. Since you are unlikely to use either, don't spend more (in terms of space or money) than you have to.
  • I would either go for a chartplotter (they do make life easier) or at least a second handheld GPS. Again there is the question of one offshore passage or many. If the latter and you are going strictly with paper charts it can get very expensive. If you have a plotter you do need some paper charts not everyone there is and you can get by with older charts. If you are only doing Bermuda you only need a couple of charts at the Bermuda end to go with the local charts or chartbook at the US end.

Good luck
Old 11-27-2011

the older version of the 30 which is th one i have has a doghouse so the windows are pretty large i wean there not giant panels like some of the new jenneaus and such but there not tiny either however they are quite thick but id like to be as prepared as i can possibly be id like to be able to take a 120 foot breaking wave broadside and survive, rigless of course but survive. the head drains directly to the water via a thru hull with a masive seacock, no macerator or holding tank at all the not having drain thru hulls does help have less thru hulls therefore less things to cause sinking. and again with the compresion post a) good handhold b) u can never be too prepared for the worst in terms of the rudder its out atm for winter storage so ill test it before launch this spring and ive heard edson makes the best bilge pumps so ill definitely be hunting for one and yes i sdo think an automatic one would be a good idea in addition, the inboard has already been removed, im thinking of screwing a plywood floor to the engine mounts and using it as storage for freshwater jugs, oh and it already has a honda 4 stroke 8 hp outboard on it which sems to be reliable and it charges my batteries as for cooking i have a two burner butane stove but i want to make it gimballed somehow, as for the storm jib it has hanks no roller furling and a downhaul for safety ans it has a bowsprit of two and a half feet so i could always have the storms jib on the outer forestay, thanks for the tip on the collision map that is true takes space that food could have been in, in terms of chartplotters i may sucumb to them but ive always had a thing agaisnt them mostly cause of one time when the blidin light of it made me unable to see the buoys in a narrow chanell so i kinda marked them as a hazard rather than a help but it is true that charts are expensive but theres always photocopying and i o have a laptop with charting software which i can use as a cabin chartplotter if it is necessarry. in terms of wther bermuda would be the only offshore trip hat depends on how it goes if it seems like it goes well i may take the azored route over to europe and explore the med and the north sea, if not its just a hop back to canada. in your opinion though will i need a series drogue and a storm jib my main is also boom furling so that acts as my trysail kinda i will experiment with sheet to tiller, although im on the lookout for a vane, i have heaard since the keel is a long keel not full or 3/4 but a long shoal fin with a skeg that steering should be pretty balanced and if i let go of the tiller it does take a goodd while to veer off course as for the arch it definitely is strong because in my maiden voyage on her just seeing how she handled we had some decent swells around the bruce peninsula and there was no flexing at all its not the deck thats thin its just the bow near the deck to hull connection i dont like but i suppose that part is far from the water anyways
Old 11-27-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Before you commit on a budget to an Edson manual pump you should know the price. You can buy a very good pump from Henderson for a lot less. The Edson is over $700 in aluminum and over $1000 in bronze. Edson - Edson 30 GPM, Manual Diaphragm Pump, Offset Drive Bottom Inlet

Here's a good Henderson for $150 HENDERSON BP0510 MK 5 UNIVERSAL PUMP Binnacle.com
Old 11-27-2011

oh i thought i saw an edson manual bilge pump on the sailnet store for like 100 bucks or is that different. but yes 700 dollars is rather significant as in i could use that money for a storm sail or a series drogue or as part of my windvane budget or for an ssb radio but holy 30 gpm i could rip my keel off and still keep afloat.
Old 11-27-2011

Here is Edson's pump page: Emergency Pump Kits : Edson Marine Store

Sailnet does have a side inlet Edson for $193 but it is not on Edson's website.
Edson - Edson Bone Dry Manual Side Inlet Pump - Aluminum - 117AL-150

I would install a pump like the Henderson so you can pump from the cockpit. Sailing alone I wouldn't want to deal with a portable pump and control the boat - a built-in pump that can be used in the cockpit while steering is better I think.
Old 11-27-2011

yes i think i will go with that one that you posted earlier 20 gpm is a very good output rate i mean if the water is coming any faster than that ur first priority should probably be stopping the leak not pumping away although i am not planning on being alone i will have my fiance with me however she has no interest in actually sailing she just wants to come along for the sights and the experience not so keen on triming the sails or manning the helm. how would u instal the pump so that it can be used from the cockpit id asume u mount it under deck with a hole drilled thru where the handle goes
Old 11-27-2011

You mount it in the wall of the cockpit well, so the pump is inside the cockpit locker. The handle inserts from outside the locker through a waterproof gland. They make several different pumps and they can be seen here Marine : Whale Pumps 12V Henderson Plumbing Bilge Diaphragm Submersible Pressure Water Systems Marine Caravan RV Shower Drain Portable Sanitation Purging Groundwater Solutions Voltage Electric

Here's a drawing of the 20 gal/minute pump:
Attached Thumbnails
Contest Yachts-12.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011

ok sounds relatively straightforward, should be easy to install

Tags
bluewater , contest , conyplex , project boat , strengthen