SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking to buy a Venture 2-24, have questions!

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  tidal9 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, sorry, but this will be long,

I am seeking some advice on a 1974 Venture 2-24 I'm currently looking at.
Because of our current temps (lake ice forming), I will not be able to sail her,
so I'm going by inspection alone, and, I'm pretty novice. First off, I'm
choosing this boat because I am looking for a bit more comfort and stability
than my 18' Chrysler Buccaneer provides (my wife refuses to sail on the Bucc
anymore because she doesn't want to capsize (it hasn't happened yet). And Venture/MacGregor has a good
rep and following.
The boat in question is listed for $1200, solid, with trailer, mast and 3 sails
in great shape (not sure which ones yet). The owner said the keel is in decent
shape with no housing or ridge damage. He also said that there is no damaged
fiberglass, but there is some spiderwebbing. Sails and rigging are in great
shape, some of the ropes need replacement, interior pieces are there, just not
installed (was to be remodeled). Also, no soft spots on the deck, but possibly
a small spot on the hull where it sits on the trailer.
I have yet to see it in person (just pics), but it sounds like a decent price,
is it? Can this be single-handedly sailed without much retrofitting? (I may
need a mast raising system of sorts) Also, and most importantly, I am looking
for a STABLE boat for my family to enjoy. I was originally looking at the Mac
26S, but this price caught my attention... Also, can this thing be towed with a
Jeep Grand Cherokee on flat ground with an inline-6? Any insight into this?

Thank you!

Darren

See less See more
#2 ·
Darren,

Welcome to Sailnet.

My first boat was a Venture 2-22. I paid $2300 for boat and trailer. I was new to sailing and had a more experienced sailor look her over (still on the trailer) before I bought it to make sure it would float. That's all I wanted. Since this is your second boat, you'll have more experience going into it than I did.

Yes, it will give you a bit more room but you'll still be stooped over when below. Unless you are VERY short. Two of us spent weekend on ours for two years before deciding we didn't want to have a permanent curvature.

Mine was a project boat. I wanted to use it to teach myself fiberglass repair, rigging, etc. It served its purpose well.

Spider cracks in the gelcoat is normal. Unless they are so deep to cause water to get to the fiberglass, that shouldn't concern you.

You should be fine towing it with your Jeep.

The Ventures are simple yet stable boats. Not as solidly constructed as a Catalina but it will be fine, I'm sure. I added some wood trim inside, brass reading lamps, removed all the flotation and cleaned it, painted the cabin, and other stuff to spruce it up. I also replaced the standing rigging and used swageless fittings. Much easier to do than I expected.

By the way, Northern Tools makes the winch to raise and lower the keel if yours needs replacing. It was a perfect match on my boat.

If it was on the trailer long, the indentation is normal and will work itself out over time once you start sailing it.

Good luck.

Reactions: PaulfromNWOnt
#3 ·
Thank you DRFerron,

I'm always interested to hear what others have to say, and your encouragement is good to hear. My main concern, other than selling my wife on this, is of course: safety. Without that and comfort/stability, there will absolutely be no getting her on the boat, and without that...eventually no boat. Heck, she wants a pontoon. Eventually when I get more comfortable, I can always let out a bit more sail in the breeze, but not initally, she still has nightmares about white knuckle rides and near capsizes on tacks with my Bucc.

#5 ·
Just looked at a Venture 2-24 today, have pics of it...

Just looked at a Venture 2-24 today, have pics of it...

I posted earlier about going to look at a 1974 Venture 2-24. Previous owner
said sails are great, rigging is great, mast is fine and keel is decent.
Interior is gutted and dirty, and there are a few cosmetic blemishes here and
there. He wasn't there when I viewed it, so I am waiting to hear back about
what sails are included and soem other misc....here is the link to the
pics...price as it stands is $900 Worth it?
1974 Venture 2-24 - a set on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.