SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Just about to take the plunge again. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/81415-just-about-take-plunge-again.html)

jmayton 12-04-2011 06:23 PM

Just about to take the plunge again.

Everything looks good for us to purchase a 1986 Northern 37 ketch next week. I've never sailed a ketch before. Anyone sailed a Northern ketch who can give me some pointers?

jmayton 12-10-2011 08:05 AM

We bought the boat!
Marina and I spent the day adjusting the freeboard on our, new to us, sailboat. We drove back and forth between the boat and the storage locker, over and over again. VW bugs are roomy but are not set up to haul anchors, chain, engine parts, cordage, tools, spare parts, kayaks, more spare parts, hoses, bug screens, wind generators, cockpit cushions, paddles, pumps, alternators, more spare parts, etc. The big disappointment was with the dodger; it seems that the stitching on many of the zippers is shot, so when we attempted to put it together, several of the zippers just came apart. Picture us with sad faces. At any rate, they are 20 years old but we think we can salvage them with a little work and a bit of professional help. The weather gods decided that we had it way to good for the sea trials yesterday, so today it was cloudy with plenty of showers. No matter, we kept plugging along, until we ran out of day light around 5:30 PM. We still have a load or two left so we won’t be leaving on Saturday as planned. One more day should get us all moved aboard and most stuff stored for the sail home in a couple of weeks. The boat looks (is) a mess but our hearts are full and we are proud with our progress today.

Passat 12-10-2011 08:52 AM

Congratulations! Dreams come true!!!

WanderingStar 12-10-2011 12:40 PM

Pretty cool! Where are you sailing to/from?

DRFerron 12-10-2011 01:04 PM

Congratulations!

jmayton 12-10-2011 07:54 PM

New Years eve or day we will leave Stuart, FL and head up the ICW until we get to New Bern, NC. I'm not looking forward to the cold weather, but I can't feel comfortable leaving the boat 700 miles away. We spent the last two days loading all the gear that came with the purchase; a whole storage unit full. Spare parts, cordage, wind gen, solar panels, hose, tools, sails, etc.

killarney_sailor 12-10-2011 09:00 PM

Congratulations. The Northern 37 was built only a few miles from my yacht club and we have had a couple of them in the club at various times.

CalebD 12-10-2011 10:19 PM

Congrats on your new N 37'.
Have fun on your delivery trip. Consider going outside if you could reach in a good weather window. Ketches like most reaching points of sail, right?

Faster 12-10-2011 10:59 PM

Congrats..

leogallant 12-10-2011 11:00 PM

Welcome to boat ownership! Good company :-)