Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Annap to Mystic should be no more than 4 days AT THE MOST. And that's being very conservative on the speed.
I made it back from Newport to Annap in 52 hours this past June. Course we were motorsailing most of the way but it was relatively painless. ('cept for DE bay, ugh)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Wow...

In Fort Washington MD, Cost me $208 for the hoist to place boat on my trailer... and another $80 to have the keel step mast pulled..

I skipped the wash, tied it down myself and drove it home to Wisconsin (1,000 miles) for about $650 in gas... Slept in the boat on the way home...

Just saying... Marina fees seem a little high...
Attached Thumbnails
Delivery vs. Truck Transport-014.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
Loading and securing a 10,000 lbs keelboat plus rig on a trailer requires a fair amount of time.
Point taken. Thanks for your input. I guess I'm just used to dealing with a smaller, owner operated yard.
Old 12-05-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Rob,

sorry - my post was unclear, given the time ( aka cost ) to load and ship via commercial hauler...... Certainly go the delivery route, you should be able to hire a professional delivery captain for between $150 and $450 a day plus travel expense for return trip. The captain will want a experienced mate who will either be another paid hand or could be a experienced unpaid hand.
Old 12-05-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
Rob,

sorry - my post was unclear, given the time ( aka cost ) to load and ship via commercial hauler...... Certainly go the delivery route, you should be able to hire a professional delivery captain for between $150 and $450 a day plus travel expense for return trip. The captain will want a experienced mate who will either be another paid hand or could be a experienced unpaid hand.
Again, thanks for your input. That's given me another idea! I could have the boat delivered to NYC and sail her home from there.
Old 12-05-2011

Loki9 is on a distinguished road
Did you already buy the boat in Annapolis, or are you just adding up all the costs?

Is that boat so special that you can't find one closer to home? The are a huge number of boats available on the shores of LI Sound.
Old 12-05-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

IMHO When you are looking at relatively cheap boats 30' and larger, it just doesn't make economic sense to find one more than a day or two sail from where you live. That assume a few things like:
-The boat isn't something special like a rare old boat that there are only a few of in the country, and you really want that particular boat.
-You work for a living and can't really take 4-5 days (or longer) off from work to bring a boat home

From where I live (Long Island Sound) that area is from Boston down to Annapolis, so it's a pretty large area with lots of boats to consider.

Of course, if you're going to spend $200K to buy the boat, spending another $5K to ship it isn't a big deal. Things are a lot different if you are going to spend $50K.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
So $4700 total to bring the boat to Mystic, CT on a trailer? Unloading fees?
That is a lot of cash for moving a boat by road. Sure makes a self delivery seem worth considering. I'm sure there are a few people here who might want to make all or part of that trip with you.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I would pay to have her delivered. As said above, 4 days max and this would be considered as close to a milk run as you get, albeit cold right now. You should find many capable and willing. Off shore from the Deleware to NY harbor is the only tricky part, but can be timed since you don't seem to be in a hurry. Personally, I would pay the extra day to get her all the way to Mystic, rather than mess with the logistics of a swap in NYC in winter.

I generally agree that one would expect a fair inventory to be closer to home, but clean boats can be hard to find. You just need to factor the couple of thousand to transport either way and how much clean up that would allow you to do to a nearby boat. I suspect this distance is on the bubble. If you really like her and she is in good shape or you know you are getting a good deal, go get her.

Unfortunately, it sounds like her current yard is charging farewell prices. They are getting their last licks. To be more generous, they might be charging a premium as this is prime haul out season there and you're not paying winter storage like the rest. If you do truck her, call some other yards.

Best of luck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-06-2011

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Christine Transport quoted me $600 in September for permits and delivery of a 27 ft. Ericson with 9.5 ft. beam from Norwalk Ct. to Freeport Me.-284 miles. Did not include preparing the boat or loading it (yard fees).

I thought this was incredibly reasonable, wide load permits, interstate. That is what they do, they are good at it and insured for it. They were recommended to me by a wholesaler (whole sailor? ) They deliver from anywhere to anywhere, very fast and easy quotes, fill in form at their site.

IIRC they did not want plastic over it.

Boat transporter Christine Transport

I ended up buying a different boat, built a wooden cradle, loaded it myself on a flatbed, and moved it home with my truck. I used some landscape timbers I had, and sawed out the rest from trees I'd already cut just to remove. When I had looked at the boat I cut some cardboard to fit the hull shape and worked at home from these - and lots of photos - to make the cradle.