Moisture meters are (not?) capacitance meters? or radio transceivers? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Moisture meters are (not?) capacitance meters? or radio transceivers?

I don't mind if there's a man behind the curtain, I just want to know what he is capable of doing.

So on the one hand Im told that moisture meters for wood and FRP boats are :just: capacitance meters, of unspecified range. Including the Electrophysics ones.

But on the other hand I've seen comments that they are not capacitance meters, but rather they broadcast a small radio signal and look for the attenuation caused by mousture in the return signal path.

For all I know, either scheme might work. But I'm curious to know if anyone has "for sure" knowledge of what's done behind the curtain. And especially if anyone like Maine Sail, who has the meter and probably has a multimeter with capacitive scales on it as well, has ever compared the two, getting a result like "ell, the EP says :dry: when the cap meter says <50mfd and it says :wet: when the cap metere shows >200mfd, there are correlations.

I'd hate to waste money on an EP meter only to find my purpose built capacitance meters alreay could do the same job, and do it with digital numbers instead of waving a needle.

My iPhone S5 has a moisture meter built in, but I'm under NDA to Apple not to discuss it or use it until June 8th of next year, so that won't hel at all.

Anybody? Got the real skinny, or the two tools and an hour to do some compares?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011

jameso is on a distinguished road
would be interested in this information myself...
Old 12-11-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'm sure MS will chime in here.. from some very basic research it looks like they use a resistance measurement for the pin styles (obviously not used on marine surveys) and a somewhat vague 'electromagnetic wave' technique which could technically range from ultrasonic to infrared.. some of the literature I found seems to be working on a backscatter principle - ie moisture reflecting emissions back to the source, the amount of backscatter inferring moisture presence...

No doubt the manufacturers feel their technique is proprietary and are unwilling to share details.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-11-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"No doubt the manufacturers feel their technique is proprietary and "
Well, 20 years ago a capacitance meter was an expensive piece of electronics. These days it is just one more function in a $10 multimeter...so I can understand that someone might not want to put themselves out of business.
Kinda like the magic lotions you can add to motor oil. :-)
Old 12-11-2011

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
I've worked with many different meters over the years, Take a look at my "Moisture Meter Mythology". it might help explain things.
Old 12-11-2011

Thanks, boatpoker.

Small brass hammer? Other than rough antiskid, I've used two fingers on my right hand, the same ones that do studfinding in plasterboard.

I suppose the real answer is to gut a microwave oven. Apply the business end to the hull and see if steam comes out. No steam? No swelling? Dry core. :-)
davidpm likes this.
Old 12-11-2011

sfchallenger is on a distinguished road
Not sure if it is the same device you are talking about but we use moisture meters at my jobsites, generally to determine if a substrate is dry enough to paint. The devices I'm familiar with have two probes that you stick in to the substance to be measured and measures capacitance between the two points. I believe that a multimeter can be used to the same effect with the proper offset for ohms to damp conductivity.
Old 12-12-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I borrowed an EP meter and a Ryobi meter a couple of years ago. So what I'm about to say is based on some limited actual field experience.

You need the EP one if you want to make quantitative comparisons with the results that surveyors give (since they all use EP meters). All capacitance devices need to be tuned for different depth of penetration into different materials, and you'll never match the EP results unless you use the EP meter.

For general non-quantitative use, I've used a household studfinder to track down moisture. It works on the same capacitive principle as the pinless moisture meters. I found the patent numbers stamped on the units and pulled up the patents to verify how they work. So while they may be "proprietary" (as in protected by patents), their designs are not totally secret.

If you want somewhat more quantitative results (but still won't duplicate the EP results), I found the Ryobi capacitive moisture meter ($50 at Home Depot) to give nicely repeatable results. You'll get reliable, repeatable numbers, but they will be different numbers from what the EP gives you. The nice thing about having the numbers is you can sometimes follow the gradients to the source of the leak - just like you follow the gradients to find a stud in a wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 12-14-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
I have a CT-33 unit that was invaluable when hunting for a boat and has paid itself off many times over by finding a problem early after I bought my boat. It certainly appears to be a capacitive device. It is very easy to use and the results are obvious. I know the condition of my decks and hull...without the meter you have no idea until a problem gets serious.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 12-14-2011

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I borrowed an EP meter and a Ryobi meter a couple of years ago. So what I'm about to say is based on some limited actual field experience.

You need the EP one if you want to make quantitative comparisons with the results that surveyors give (since they all use EP meters). All capacitance devices need to be tuned for different depth of penetration into different materials, and you'll never match the EP results unless you use the EP meter.

For general non-quantitative use, I've used a household studfinder to track down moisture. It works on the same capacitive principle as the pinless moisture meters. I found the patent numbers stamped on the units and pulled up the patents to verify how they work. So while they may be "proprietary" (as in protected by patents), their designs are not totally secret.

If you want somewhat more quantitative results (but still won't duplicate the EP results), I found the Ryobi capacitive moisture meter ($50 at Home Depot) to give nicely repeatable results. You'll get reliable, repeatable numbers, but they will be different numbers from what the EP gives you. The nice thing about having the numbers is you can sometimes follow the gradients to the source of the leak - just like you follow the gradients to find a stud in a wall.
Every surveyor I know ( I know a couple of hundred) uses a capacitance meter. Relative readings are all you are going to get on a survey. There is simply no way to get quantative results without weighing and burning a piece of the boat. After over 2500 surveys, I have yet to finds someone who would let me do that

I'd suggest you google The "Code of Practice for the Measurement and Analysis of the Wetness of FRP Hulls" ( * International Institute of Marine Surveyors (1998) Witherby & Co., London, 17p. )