What would you buy for $15k-20k? For sailing from Florida -> Bahamas, and beyond! - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011

Eric&AdamInTheCaribbean is on a distinguished road
What would you buy for $15k-20k? For sailing from Florida -> Bahamas, and beyond!

Myself and a friend are looking to buy in the $15,000-$20,000 range (~$20k budget for purchase, repairs and outfitting). We are wanting to buy the boat in Florida to live-aboard and cruise around the Caribbean. What would you buy for a similar situation?

Also, if anyone has some suggestions as to specific places to look, specific brokers to use in Florida, or any other helpful hints they would be very much appreciated!

(New to the forum but as this purchase looms closer and then our adventure begins I imagine it could become a very significant part of my life )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
You will have to pick a size you think you can live on as when boats get bigger the 15 to 20 does not buy you much

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
I'm thinkin' cruise tickets. Maybe Carnival?

But seriously, in that range, you get squat. You'd need to be darned savvy and handy, and a heck of a scrounger to pull it off. Assuming you want to be reasonably safe out on the water. And if you have to ask what to buy, then maybe you don't have those attributes currently?

Sorry, tellin' it like I see it. Either increase your budget, because at minimum you want a well found 30 footer, or decrease your cruising expectations and boat size.

Last edited by Siamese; 12-13-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2011

Mirari is on a distinguished road
I disagree. In this economy I've seen perfectly good 30 foot boats go for peanuts. Last spring my storage yard let a 32 foot Islander in nice condition with a 1 year old diesel go for $4K (in CT), basically back storage charges owed to the yard. It is plenty big enough to live on in a warm climate, althought the draft was a bit much on that one. There are plenty of people out there willing to dump a boat just to get rid of it right now. I think you should be able to find a decent something for $10K and then use the extra money for a few extras. Very doable on $20K.
Old 12-13-2011

irmedic is on a distinguished road
I just bought a 30' 1978 Hunter in Glades for $6,000. It was full of mud daubers and covered in mildew. Within 5 days or 5 people working we were able to get her in the water and head out to Ft.Myers. There was a continual list of jobs to get her through the sea trials and back, but we got a great deal.

Spend alot of time calling marina's, and getting to know the boat you're going to buy. The Florida climate is not forgiving to paint, wiring, or anything else, so be mindful of the time you're going to have to be on land working in a high priced work yard.

My boat is done except for the deck paint, and back in storage until next winter. Bahamas bound!
Old 12-13-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric&AdamInTheCaribbean View Post
Myself and a friend are looking to buy in the $15,000-$20,000 range (~$20k budget for purchase, repairs and outfitting). We are wanting to buy the boat in Florida to live-aboard and cruise around the Caribbean. What would you buy for a similar situation?

Also, if anyone has some suggestions as to specific places to look, specific brokers to use in Florida, or any other helpful hints they would be very much appreciated!

(New to the forum but as this purchase looms closer and then our adventure begins I imagine it could become a very significant part of my life )
So what inquiring minds want to know is how handy are you?
Another way to go that I think could be more fun would be checking all the on-line venues for berths.

These opportunities include:
You pay the captain
The captain pays you
You pay expenses.

With 20G you would be wealthy crew rather than being a broke captain.
If you did that for a couple of years you would have some real knowledge and adventure under your belt and maybe some money left over.

What do you know or have:
Cooking
Sailing
Repairs
Medical
Computers
Strong back and willing to work.

If you know all there is to know about sailing and sailboats and have a year or two and a lot of luck and patience and a good job for living expenses and tools and a place to work on the boat you may be able to find a cheap boat and fit it out safely.
If that is not your profile you could be crew and have a great time and get the experience and maybe even keep a lot of your money.

Last edited by davidpm; 12-13-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
There are boats in your price range - but they will all require some work for more than local sailing. Here's one example http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs
And here is a list on Yachtworld of 28' to 31' from 10k to 15k
(Sail) Boats For Sale Florida FL
Old 12-13-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
My bet is that Islander wasn't turn-key ready to go to Caribbean and the new owner probably spend $8-10k getting it up to snuff.
Old 12-13-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Would everyone agree that for starters any 30 plus year old boat that was going to be used the way the OP plans should have the following done if it has not been done in the last 5 years and good evidence that it was done right.
1. Drop rudder and inspect and or replace bearings and all linkage.
2. Replace chain plates
3. Replace standing rigging
4. Replace running rigging
5. Check ground tackle and get spare
6. Check sails and get spares
7. Check electrical and make sure lights, pump work.
8. Autohelm

That sounds like 10k minimum assuming some of the above is OK and some needs doing.
Old 12-13-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
True, but that is still well within the op's budget of 20k ready to go.

Tags
boat buying , caribbean sailing , florida