Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011

BCC1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
I was on the new B41 recently. Can't say I was impressed - single head, small chart table and not a good use of space to my mind. A cruising couple I know sail a 2010 C445. I don't see that the 2 boats are really comparable. The Catalina is much more appealing to me although I still prefer my B46 over that.
It could be I didn't explain myself very well. We are weekend sailors. On the boat Friday night, sailing saturday morning, returning to slip Sunday evening. Will be for at least 8 years. The longest cruise we will take is 14 days once a year. Almost all will be on the Chesapeake. Other than sleeping and food prep, we are cockpit people. The new 41, 45 and Sense are amazing in this regard.

I don't think the small chart table will be a problem. Planning will be done on a laptop interfaced to the chart plotter. Paper charts will be a backup only.

SO specifically wanted a vacflush single head after the 2 head 473. Fine with me. Less to maintain.

Price difference ended up significantly greater than I thought. This will be the deciding factor. Actually, not true. Wife has a preference for the 41. I have too many friends who's wife don't sail much anymore. I intend to do everything I can to ensure she continues to love sailing. With me.

I appreciate all of the perspectives.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Well, when it was new for sure, but now you have a 10 year old design, a dated boat and all systems in the boat will be also 10 years old. Many would be on the right time for replacement, or you think that a guy that is selling a 10 year old boat has just replaced them for you?

Maybe you like to make maintenance, I like to sail and not to worry.

Besides you would not have that incredible sensation of having a brand new boat

Regards

PS: this as nothing to do with this thread, this is about a 2011 and a 2012 boats, both new and there is a difference of $35K between the boats that are different in size. On this case I guess that it is not a question of value but to the OP to decide which boat he really wants, the smaller or the bigger.

Paulo
I have a high stress job ( who doesn't these days) and travel about 70% of the time.

Weekends, I want to sail.

I do my own maintenance. I just don't want to do much.

I like technology and new things. Both the 41 and 445 are deviations from current norms, which I like.

The boat ain't going to be old. I just don't have the time. If we are on the boat, we're sailing.

But I certainly appreciate some folks enjoy tinkering and certainly a 10 year old boat would have a lower initial cost.

It all depends how one defines value. No wrong answer, I guess.
JimMcGee likes this.
Old 12-22-2011

weinie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
Beneteau or Catalina, like debating American Standard or Kohler ... they're both toilets.
ouch.
Old 12-22-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I was on the new B41 recently. Can't say I was impressed - single head, small chart table and not a good use of space to my mind. ...
What do you mean by single head?

The boat will only have a single head if you want too.

And what do you mean by a not good use of space? This boat is among the very few 40ft boats that can offer a big galley, a big head(s) enough storage and 3 cabins. Do you call this a bad use of space?

Regarding the chart table that is a modern tendency, I mean, the use of that space for a better use: Most of the crews on cruising boats are very short, many times the navigator is also the skipper and the crew and guys that really navigate do that most of the time that at the steering wheel and to prepare on a mooring a voyage with more detail they use a lap top and the saloon table is perfectly adequate for that.

More and more the chart table is really not the space for the charts (that we do on the saloon table) but the space to look at several electronic devices and the boat electronic display. For that you don't need so much space as before.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-22-2011

Deadhead is on a distinguished road
Paulo:

I was not on a 3 cabin 41 - the berth on the port side of the companionway as shown on your schematic was a little closet in the 2 cabin model. The schematic for the boat I was on is here:

Beneteau USA

Much different layout.

Regards.
DH
Old 12-22-2011

Quote:
Paulo:

I was not on a 3 cabin 41 - the berth on the port side of the companionway as shown on your schematic was a little closet in the 2 cabin model. The schematic for the boat I was on is here:

Beneteau USA

Much different layout.

Regards.
DH
Yes, there is a 2 cabin, a 3 cabin, single head and double head layout. We would have gone with a 2 cabin version, if the cabin was bigger than the 3 cabin, but it wasn't. I suspect the 3 cabin will be far more popular.

If we overnighted often with other couples on board, we may have chosen the 2 head layout. With it most often being just the 2 of us overnight, we preferred the extra cabin space with a single head.

Great to have choices.
Old 12-22-2011

jameso is on a distinguished road
has anyone here experenced Beneteau's after a few years, do the interiors hold up to wear and tear very well?
Old 12-22-2011

sevent is on a distinguished road
choose the one the wife prefers. you will love either one. if you keep it in the Annapolis or Rock Hall area and ever would consider a share/partner arrangement let me know.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevent View Post
choose the one the wife prefers. you will love either one. if you keep it in the Annapolis or Rock Hall area and ever would consider a share/partner arrangement let me know.

Merry Christmas!
Good advice. We have chosen the 41 the wife prefers.

We are going to keep the boat in Rock Hall. A share/partner arrangement is something we haven't considered, but never say never!

Merry Christmas to you too.
Old 12-25-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameso View Post
has anyone here experenced Beneteau's after a few years, do the interiors hold up to wear and tear very well?
We sail with friends who have a B 36.7 and have been wintering in the Caribbean - this will be their 9th season.. the boat still looks like new (they do look after it) All they did interior wise was to make slipcovers for the faux white leather cushion covers.... They have revarnished the sole once, about 2 years ago.
jameso likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)