Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on the 41 I think you'll love her. She's got that hard chine and will be better sailed with minimum heel so your wife should be happy. I haven't sailed one yet but if it's anything like our B43 she'll sail best with 10-15 degrees of heel at max. Flat is fast with the new hull designs. The boat has a lot of room both below and above decks which you'll also appreciate. The cockpit is as roomy as you can get which you'll love out on the hook. I love the pantry next to the galley, it's a great feature. I helped Brian at the Annapolis Show and the 41 was one very popular boat. He and the crew at GWS will take good care of you.
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012

IMSully is on a distinguished road
I don't understand what Paulo meant when he wrote this;
"Anyway if you are going to buy a new Benetau 41 don't buy one of the existent boats. They are going to lower the boom in 20cm and that's an important alteration in what regards easy of use."

I am comparing the Oceanis 41 to the Jeanneau 409. Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSully View Post
I don't understand what Paulo meant when he wrote this;
"Anyway if you are going to buy a new Benetau 41 don't buy one of the existent boats. They are going to lower the boom in 20cm and that's an important alteration in what regards easy of use."

I am comparing the Oceanis 41 to the Jeanneau 409. Any thoughts?
Humm, what is the doubt? The boom is too high and it is a pain in the ass to put the sail inside the bag or to reach the top of the sail. Recently French journalists when test sailing the boat complained about that and the guys from the shipyard said they were going to lower it about 20cm. If you are going to buy an inmast furling that is irrelevant.

The 409 is a sportier boat especially with the performance version. It will heel just a little more and will go a bit better upwind. It is a lot lighter than the Benetau and will be faster with light wind. With strong winds downwind the Benetau will probably go faster and steadier.

I would say that the jeanneau has a better saloon but the Benetau has a better galley and a bigger cockpit, not to mention the big swim platform.

The quality is very similar, I find that the jeanneau has just a bit better finish, but that is a question of opinion and you have eyes so just buy the one you like best or the one where they make you a better price (sometimes it is possible to get huge discounts on one and small on other, it depends on stocks).

regards

Paulo
Old 01-07-2012

All I have seen of either boat are pictures online. Since I haven't seen the Oceanis 41 in the flesh, I didn't think about how high the boom was. I don't care for the arch much anyway, looks to much like a Hunter. Where can I go to learn what others are paying for these boats?
Old 01-08-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
Beneteau or Catalina, like debating American Standard or Kohler ... they're both toilets.
KMP1284,

So what kind of toilet do you own or sail? Be truthful in your answer.

I just guessing it's a old POS that someone told you was "bluewater" capable, but I could be wrong.

The OP had a valid question....too bad that you had to insult him and all the other Beneteau and Catalina owners. And, as to toilets, both American Standard and Kohler are very good products.
Old 01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSully View Post
All I have seen of either boat are pictures online. Since I haven't seen the Oceanis 41 in the flesh, I didn't think about how high the boom was. I don't care for the arch much anyway, looks to much like a Hunter. Where can I go to learn what others are paying for these boats?
If you are serious about having one of those one option would be to pick an airplane to Dusseldorf at the end of this month. it is the biggest world boat show specially if we consider sailing and you will find there both boats (check it anyway) and also the Dufour and the new Hanse as well has the Bavaria. Probably you will find there an American dealer for each brand and if you show interest for several boats an make that a price issue you will get a very special price. Anyway all the boats have special offers for the boat show. I am quite sure that will more than pay your stay.

Besides Dusseldorf is a very nice place with great food and a brewery that makes beer on the spot and has a terrific ambiance (kind of 30's if you know what I mean). It is the German city with highest living standards and German standards are not low

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-08-2012

Hello Paulo,
Dusseldorf would be a great place to see all of the boats, however it isn't an option for me right now. I do appreciate the suggestion though.
What I meant, was a forum where folks who have recently pruchased an Oceanis 41 or a Jeanneau 409, discuss their pruchase experience; how they equipped their boat and what they finally paid. Edmunds has an Owner Review thread where people weigh in on their decision. It's a great way to guage satisfaction and value prior to shopping. Since I am not waelthy I need to get the most for my dollar.
Buying a new boat that is priced in the $250K -$300K range is the equivalent to purchasing a home, maybe even more so. Before I make a decision like that I want to be certain that I hava all the facts. For example, a forum discussion on this site starts off with a post describing the 409 as fabulously equipped and under $200K. A fabulously equipped 409 is more likely to eat up 300K. There have to be good deals somewhere and I like some specifics that's all.
BTW, thank you for making the effort to answer.
Mike
Old 01-08-2012

BCC1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
If you are serious about having one of those one option would be to pick an airplane to Dusseldorf at the end of this month. it is the biggest world boat show specially if we consider sailing and you will find there both boats (check it anyway) and also the Dufour and the new Hanse as well has the Bavaria. Probably you will find there an American dealer for each brand and if you show interest for several boats an make that a price issue you will get a very special price. Anyway all the boats have special offers for the boat show. I am quite sure that will more than pay your stay.

Besides Dusseldorf is a very nice place with great food and a brewery that makes beer on the spot and has a terrific ambiance (kind of 30's if you know what I mean). It is the German city with highest living standards and German standards are not low

Regards

Paulo
The Oceanis 41 will also be at the Toronto Boat Show later this month. Don't know about the 409.
Old 01-12-2012

Alfalotus44 is on a distinguished road
HI, am new on this forum.
Question for PCP :
Quote:
Anyway if you are going to buy a new Benetau 41 don't buy one of the existent boats. They are going to lower the boom in 20cm and that's an important alteration in what regards easy of use.
Where did you find this information?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalotus44 View Post
HI, am new on this forum.
Question for PCP :
Where did you find this information?
Thanks
Here:

Voile Magazine assinatura de revista, 5 edições digitais*| Revistas digitais Zinio e eBooks

Regards

Paulo