Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011

BCC1 is on a distinguished road
2012 Beneteau Oceanis 41 and 2011 Catalina 445

Hello there.

We've previously owned both Catalina and Beneteau boats. And it looks like we're going to own one of them again. Having been boatless for 3 years, we're eager to get back!

We're looking at either ordering a '12 Oceanis 41 or picking up a left over '11 Catalina 445. There is precious little about the 445 sailing characteristics online and nothing about the 41.

It will be she and me and the dogs most of the time. Daughter and hubbie from time to time. Realistically, 22 weekends a year with a couple of weeks cruising per annum too. If we're on the boat, we're sailing.

Comparably equipped the Catalina is about $35K more. To get it that close the Catalina is much more heavily discounted (one year old, never been wet). We plan on keeping the boat 10 - 12 years.

She's gaga about the 41 cockpit (it is most excellent) but to me the Catalina seems more solidly built.

We don't race. With her on board, we don't bury the rail.

Stupid it may be, but we like buying new.

Anybody have opinions about either boat?

The boat's home will be on the Chesapeake. Never sailed there. Can't wait.

Thanks,

BCC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
The Catalina 445 and the Benetau 41 are very different boats. One is a 40ft boat with 8450kg and 83.3 m2 of sail the other a 43.3ft boat with 10 659kg and 94.8m2.

The cockpit of the Benetau 41 has the space of a 45ft but that does not make it in one and that huge bath platform has no comparison but the truth is that they are different boats in what regards sailing.

the hulls are also very different and will have a different performance but that is just a detail. First of all you have to decide if you want a 40ft with 8450kg or a 43ft with 10 659Kg If you sail alone with your wife, the 40 ft would be probably more adequate. If you sail with a crew than the 445 would not be a problem.

Anyway if you are going to buy a new Benetau 41 don't buy one of the existent boats. They are going to lower the boom in 20cm and that's an important alteration in what regards easy of use.

I had been inside the boat and I have read several boat tests about it and I think I have some information about the boat. I will post tomorrow about it on the interesting boat thread.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-18-2011

jameso is on a distinguished road
if I were about to invest this much money and time (10 years plus) I would find a charter for each and at least look the boats over for signs of wear and tear. After two or three years of hard use, details would show any shortcomings I should think. I 'm sure they are both fine boats, I could find nothing on the Beneteau online, but have read a lot of praise for the 445~~
Old 12-18-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
At this spring's boat show we were most impressed by the C445 amongst all the other offerings. Esp in terms of finishes below and storage. Reports were that she sailed quite well too.

All things else equal, we'd probably go for the Catalina.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-21-2011
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
At this spring's boat show we were most impressed by the C445 amongst all the other offerings. Esp in terms of finishes below and storage. Reports were that she sailed quite well too.

All things else equal, we'd probably go for the Catalina.

I prefer the Catalina 445 for a number of reasons. Catalina installs a lead keel, Beneteau installs an iron keel. Also, the 445 has an internal flange at the hull to deck joint. I also prefer the joinery work of the 445.
olson34 likes this.
Old 12-21-2011

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC1 View Post
Hello there.

We've previously owned both Catalina and Beneteau boats. And it looks like we're going to own one of them again. Having been boatless for 3 years, we're eager to get back!

We're looking at either ordering a '12 Oceanis 41 or picking up a left over '11 Catalina 445. There is precious little about the 445 sailing characteristics online and nothing about the 41.

It will be she and me and the dogs most of the time. Daughter and hubbie from time to time. Realistically, 22 weekends a year with a couple of weeks cruising per annum too. If we're on the boat, we're sailing.

Comparably equipped the Catalina is about $35K more. To get it that close the Catalina is much more heavily discounted (one year old, never been wet). We plan on keeping the boat 10 - 12 years.

She's gaga about the 41 cockpit (it is most excellent) but to me the Catalina seems more solidly built.

We don't race. With her on board, we don't bury the rail.

Stupid it may be, but we like buying new.

Anybody have opinions about either boat?

The boat's home will be on the Chesapeake. Never sailed there. Can't wait.

Thanks,

BCC
I would never consider buying a sailboat new. If you were willing to buy ten years old, you could get a MUCH better built boat for comparable money.
souljour2000 likes this.
Old 12-21-2011
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
I would never consider buying a sailboat new. If you were willing to buy ten years old, you could get a MUCH better built boat for comparable money.
Amen
Old 12-21-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
Well, when it was new for sure, but now you have a 10 year old design, a dated boat and all systems in the boat will be also 10 years old. Many would be on the right time for replacement, or you think that a guy that is selling a 10 year old boat has just replaced them for you?

Maybe you like to make maintenance, I like to sail and not to worry.

Besides you would not have that incredible sensation of having a brand new boat

Regards

PS: this has nothing to do with this thread, this is about a 2011 and a 2012 boats, both new and there is a difference of $35K between the boats that are different in size. On this case I guess that it is not a question of value but to the OP to decide which boat he really wants, the smaller or the bigger.

Paulo
JimMcGee and Simon_Says like this.

Last edited by PCP; 05-15-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-21-2011

kmp1284 is on a distinguished road
Beneteau or Catalina, like debating American Standard or Kohler ... they're both toilets.
Old 12-21-2011

Deadhead is on a distinguished road
I was on the new B41 recently. Can't say I was impressed - single head, small chart table and not a good use of space to my mind. A cruising couple I know sail a 2010 C445. I don't see that the 2 boats are really comparable. The Catalina is much more appealing to me although I still prefer my B46 over that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.