Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011
Glide2277

Glide2277 is on a distinguished road
Horizon Steel Ketch by Jacob Fehr seeking info

Hello All
I have just purchased a steel ketch in British Columbia. I found the builder's web page--actually i think it is the builder's son's web page...my boat was built by Jacob Fehr and Sons in 1976---she is about 46' on deck...anyway, neither the email nor the phone numbers work on the web page...apparently though they built at least 160 boats...if anyone knows anything about the performance and characteristics of these vessels i would l like to hear from you...would really like a sailplan...thanks to all
Glide
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLING hope you remembered the time diffrence with the phone Go SAFE
Old 12-25-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide2277 View Post
Hello All
I have just purchased a steel ketch in British Columbia. I found the builder's web page--actually i think it is the builder's son's web page...my boat was built by Jacob Fehr and Sons in 1976---she is about 46' on deck...anyway, neither the email nor the phone numbers work on the web page...apparently though they built at least 160 boats...if anyone knows anything about the performance and characteristics of these vessels i would l like to hear from you...would really like a sailplan...thanks to all
Glide
I've been on & around a few of the Horizon steel boats but never sailed one. I think their build quality can best be described as "workmanlike". They were built to more of a workboat standard than a yacht standard. They have the rep of being very modest performers as well. I've seen some withstand some serious neglect so their durability wouldn't seem to be in question.

IMHO, the best looking boat they ever built was a 35' clipper bowed cutter - I think it may have been their first design. It had a highly cambered cabintop, deep bulwarks and had generally very good proportions - very piratical. Many of them were gaff rigged, even to deadeyes and lanyards. This was the wrong way to go with an already low performing boat I think. They can use all the help they can get.

I knew one couple who built one from a welded up hull & deck with the intention of going offshore. After they finished it, they sold it very shortly afterwards due to their disappointment with its performance (or lack thereof).
Glide2277 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-25-2011
Glide2277

Thanks very much....that is a sober, clear, concise, direct and thoughtful analisys...(cant spell well)
it is also pretty much what i expected from the pics...i think i am going to end up buying her...mostly because of the price and my current situation and i want to be able to get out on the water, have a boat i can rely on, and have some fun. I have sailed most of my life in New England, but i live in LA now, and my boat--my dream boat...stays in the cold water of Cape Cod--she is over sixty now...
so, i guess we will see what happens...I've never really had a boat that could not sail well. My brother has one, and he says it is more relaxing because rather thank constantly thinking about how to make her go faster, he has concluded it is pointless, so now he just sails and enjoys it...
I am not sure i am ready for that, so i suppose i will be tinkering the whole way down the coast...ah well...thank you.
Old 12-25-2011
Glide2277

when is the earliest you would consider heading out and down south towards Southern California?
Old 12-25-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Probably May or June. 2 neighbors left Victoria in May in previous years, one for San Francisco, then on to San Diego, the other for Hawaii. They both encountered good gales along the way but they were manageable.
Old 12-25-2011
Glide2277

Thanks Brian...that sounds about right...

Tags
fehr , horizon , jake fehr , ketch , steel