Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003

yeto is on a distinguished road
Did the Irwin 27 have something glued . . .

to the inside of the hull? I am thinking about buying a 27'' Irwin. It looks like something was glued to the inside of the hull (carpet maybe). If it was carpet would anybody know what kind? Does anyone have an opinion of this boat? How can I get in touch with Irwin Yacht Co.? thanks, Yeto
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Did the Irwin 27 have something glued . . .

Boats of that era often had carpet or vinyl glued to the topsides. Most times it was a high grade automotive type carpet or else a foamed backed vinyl. I can''t recall what Irwin used on their boats. Irwin is no longer in business. Their boats varied pretty widely in sailing ability and most were pretty mediocre or worse in terms of build quality. Some of the Irwins were aimed at being race boats and were pretty competitive for thier day.

Jeff
Old 04-14-2009

jkitchens23 is on a distinguished road
The Irwin 27 is a great boat! I have never seen one with carpet glued to it but that is a fairly normal thing. My Irwin sails great and is tough as nails! It survived Ike with only a few scratches even though it ended up miles away and about 100 yards up a hill from the water.
Old 12-22-2010

Flyingsteelman is on a distinguished road
Irwin 27

IMHO what Jeff H said is not true of the early Irwins and certainly not true of my 1968. I sold, rigged and sailed many models as a manager of a dealership and generally the overall quality didn't decline until the price of oil went up.
Old 12-23-2010

gcargen is on a distinguished road
Irwin 27

any good info on the Irwin 27 ? I just got a 1968 & started putting some time & a little $$ in it but haven't sailed it yet.
Old 12-23-2010

haggerty60 is on a distinguished road
Irwin 27

Yeto. I have a Irwin 27 hull# 7. Great boat, VERY WELL BUILT.TAKES TEN FOOT LAKE MICHIGAN SEAS LIKE A CADILLAC. I THINK MY BOAT HAS HAD A LOT OF INTERIOR WOOD ADDED. THERE IS THIN CARPET IN THE V-BERTH. ITS COMMING OUT. AGAIN THEY SAIL GREAT! I LIVE ON MINE ALL SUMMER AND SINGLEHAND. PAINTED TOPSIDES AND DECK. IF I CAN HELP WITH ANYTHING I WILL.
Old 12-28-2010

Irwin 27

My hull #is 1347 . I didn't know there where that many. It's very encouraging to here they are well built & take the seas well. I have started to sand the decks for some new paint & have the A4 running well. She was a lake boat (Lake Ontario) so I don't see any salt water problems. Any problems with the centerboard cables or pulleys or leaking?
I haven't really got a chance to check it out but that cable has to come threw the hull somehow.

Thanks
Gary
Old 12-28-2010

irwin 27

gcargen: My centerboard winch is on the floor in frount of the engin.The cable runs under the floor to a pully and back to a brass rod. The rod goes in and out dropping the centerboard,there is apacking on the rod,no leaks.I have seen the winches at the back cockpit and in front of it go figer. I had some window leaks I fixed. Did my none skid in kiwi grip great stuff.Just inspect everything,fix whatever and sail her .
Old 03-02-2011

I have found the centerboard is stuck up in the slot. the cable going thru the hull is lose but it wont come down. I can see up into the slot & it's rusted & split out. Any Ideas on how to get it out? was it originaly just steel or is mine a replacement. When I get it out & clean it up should I just paint it or glass it? Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2011

gcargen: You may be able to get ahold of centerboard with a neadle nose vicegrip. work it up and to free it. Maybe run a thin flat knife like rod along each side to free it up. Good luck, waiting for spring.