Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012

docnasty is on a distinguished road
I didn't mean my wife and kids were a problem, just in reguards to finding a boat to fit them all in. Just wondered if anyone had an idea of were to start looking for a boat big enough. Doesn't sound like it. Thanks for the advice anyway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road
Start window shopping at Yachtworld.com. You can filter by boat size, location, price etc. That should give you a good idea what's out there. You do need to to get out sailing with the family perhaps on captained charters? Day sails whatever and it will help you refine your questions for more constructive critisism from this site.
Old 01-07-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Yeah, It's a tough site...and if your a beginner and don't ask the right question or word it correctly...your chum....
Old 01-07-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road
Here is the blog site of a family who spend summers on their boat and share the experience on the net. They sail the great lakes and the challenges are great! The boat isn't very big but it doesn't bother them. Worth a visit docnasty!
Sail Far Live Free
T37Chef likes this.
Hull #92
Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron
Old 01-07-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road
When I was a kid, spent summers on a 1949 Chris Craft powerboat. My folks had the aft cabin, my two sisters had the v-berth, and I had a made-up berth in the main saloon.

The beauty of an aft cabin is that the parents can engage in sexual relations and remain isolated from young ears.

It's not all that hard to find a aft cabin sailboat in the 32 to 36 range.

But, like the others have said, ya really need to do some sailing before this move.
Old 01-07-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnasty View Post
I didn't mean my wife and kids were a problem, just in reguards to finding a boat to fit them all in. Just wondered if anyone had an idea of were to start looking for a boat big enough. Doesn't sound like it. Thanks for the advice anyway.
Your OP wasn't the best You may be better served by doing an introduction first, mention your desire to learn sailing and eventually becoming a live-aboard. I would think that once you start the sailing, that will be so much fun that it may satisfy the desire to "get away" until you learn more about the reality of what you want to do. Having a dream, as insane as it may sound to some, may be just the right thing for you and your family

Where will you be sailing?
Old 01-07-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It really depends on what you and the family want. If you are looking for an apt on the water...some more options open up....you don't really care about the engine.

A power boat is a LOT roomier than the same size sailboat. Downside is that power boats need fuel, at +$3.75 gallon to do much of anything. I can use my boat all year for less than 30 gallons of fuel.

Both will require maintenance and hauling and cleaning at least every two years. Heads with your crew aboard, if they treat the head like most families do their toilets, will be a never ending source of entertainment and at least a weekly trip to the pump out station, even in winter.

If you are like us...the walk to the bath house for showers and (see above) are over 1/4 mile round trip. Few sailboats are in covered slips so rain and snow will need to be dealt with.

Water is a full time job in freezing weather.

Kitchen and shopping will be at least a twice a week shopping deal as most boats in your size will not handle a full weeks supplies for 5 to eat like they do in a house.

Kids will need to be well disciplined, else you will have issues there and even more so with slipmates who may or may not relish, kid stuff and noise and antics. Some will tell you, others will tell management and you may be asked to leave.

Yachtworld.com is a great place to look, walking the docks at marinas off the main and craig's list would be a close second. Thirdly would be the charity auctions or boat museums who sell boats.

All the best, and for sure try it out. I would go with the wife and/or one of the kids at first, just to see how it works. Again if you are looking for an apt...don't bother...But do put some safety items high on your list. If the kids are young...PFDs any time they are not below. You can decide when/if to allow them to do with out as they get older/more experienced/etc...
Old 01-07-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
I have read many of these kinds of posts.

I read very few posts to the effect of: "I have some interest in sailing. What is the best way to pursue my interest?" or
"What would be the best way to determine whether I will really like the sport?", or
"How would I best get my family involved?"

Instead, the poster always has zero experience, and wants to get involved in sailing in ways many of us more experienced sailors would hesitate to consider seriously: liveaboard, escape to another country, sail around the world, sail offshore a considerable distance from land, etc.

The posters invariably want to start off by buying a boat, which is a challenging proposition even for those of us who have been sailing for years and have some idea about what we like.

I really do not understand the thought process (if there is any) behind these kinds of posts.

Goals are great, dreams are fine, fantasies are ridiculous and deserve to be skewered...
Old 01-07-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... Just wondered if anyone had an idea of were to start looking for a boat big enough. Doesn't sound like it. Thanks for the advice anyway.
Here's the good advice you do not want to read: DO NOT BUY A BOAT until after you have sailed at least once with your family, or even better, until after you have sailed multiple times with your family for several years and have spent several weekends and/or weeks onboard.

Take sailing lessons with your family. Rent different boats to daysail. Offer to crew on other people's boats. Join a sailing club. Charter a boat for a week long vacation. Read all the material you can find about sailing, cruising, and living aboard a boat, including this listserv.

Then and only then, after having participated in sailing for a few years, should you even consider buying a boat to live aboard, assuming your family is agreeable to the decision and shares your interest.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 01-07-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's too bad that such introductory posts can get so badly flamed, but there's a fair amount of justification for it.. unfortunately it can turn a new poster away before anything really good is learned by either side.

The typical "no-idea-what's-involved-but-I'm-gonna-do-it-next-week-for-25cents-on-the-dollar" posts clearly have no basis in reality and no clear understanding of all the issues involved.. advertising showing the bikinis on the foredeck, crystal blue waters, idyllic scenarios are not necessarily untrue, but are definitely not the whole story...

I think another misconception is that living aboard is a 'cheap' way to live.. I suppose it can be if you can anchor off somewhere without hassle from authorities, but if you want any amenities (power, water, wifi, sewage, etc etc) then you're looking at moorage fees that may well rival most mortgages... on top of any boat purchase overhead and maintenance..

I wish the OP best of luck but the parameters they've set are going to need to be seriously adjusted as they learn more about all of this.

A good introductory plan/post is evident in this thread from a month or so back:

Retiring Aboard
Bilgewater and jameswilson29 like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-07-2012 at 02:09 PM.