Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012

docnasty is on a distinguished road
three cabin boats

I have decided to leave the rat race and find a liveaboard boat. Problem is I have a wife and three kids. I figure a three cabin would be perfect because the two youngest kids can share. Any idea's what kind I should be looking for. I'm thinking anywhere from 36-40 feet. I really like the looks of the Bayfield 32 but figure it's way to small. I am only looking to spend from $20,000 to $30,000, and I currently have no sailing experience. Any sugestions or advice would be much appreciated.

DOC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Buy a used houseboat.
Andyman and jameswilson29 like this.
Old 01-07-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you need 4 cabins - one for each child, and one for you and the missus (sailing will make the missus a little frisky, if you catch my drift, heh, heh!). You will probably also want a rec room for the children - they can become quite restless when sailing. While you are at it, you might as well get the extra space for the widescreen and a pool table and/or ping pong table.

The good news is you have plenty of options for $30K! Here is one you might consider: http://www.canalboatingholidays.com/...oat-willow.jpg

Last edited by jameswilson29; 01-07-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnasty View Post
Problem is I have a wife and three kids.
DOC
solve this problem first, as it will not get better living on a sailboat....may get worse if they do not share your dream ...

Sailboats are often not the escape to the dream, realities are they are not for everyone and they still require work.

For your budget point, you are in deep kimchee.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-07-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Buying a 3 cabin boat for 20-30k is going to require quite a lot of money and work to make it safe or even moderately comfortable for the wife and 3 kids. If it is a "problem" to have a wife and kids then you picked the wrong dream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If you have no sailing experience, you really need to get some before making this move. It would be impossible for you to assess the lifestyle and it's differences from land. Those differences include: confined spaces, odors, moisture, repairs, limitations to onboard freshwater, refrigeration, waste treatment, power, lighting, etc, etc.

You may love it, we do. However, it isn't for everyone and your budget is going to buy accommodations closer to camping than living in a home.

Don't forget that kids grow like weeds. Whomever you believe can share now, will disagree very shortly. Their room aboard is very literally going to be the size of a walk in closet at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-07-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Unfortunately with that budget, you would not afford on, but get a power boat in the same size, lots more room foot for foot! you'll need and want at least an upper 30 if not into a 40' boat for a family of 5 living on board. A 32' one as you described for daysails, weekends, occasional week or two, no big. I did that with 4 kids on a 24' travel trailer for 12 years. There was not really a true bedroom anywhere in the plan for that matter! Yeah spouse and I had a bedroom, ie the back corner with a pull curtain to shut the area off, but the head was thru the curtain for the kids! sons slept on a pull out couch, daughters on the dinette.

BUT, weekend camping is different than living aboard/in or equal.

marty
Old 01-07-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
You mean I am actually supposed to try the activity for which I intend to alter the rest of my life, while endangering my family and ending my career?

Are you kidding?

Isn't it really difficult to take a daysail?

I would much rather sell my house, quit my job, and use all my financial resources to pursue an activity I have no experience in. After I all, I have 2 whole posts on sailnet - I am practically an internet sailing veteran.

My next question: even though I have no sailing experience and no boat, is it reasonable for me to sail across the Atlantic starting next Tuesday on the flimsiest production boat I can find?
Old 01-07-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
You mean I am actually supposed to try the activity for which I intend to alter the rest of my life, while endangering my family and ending my career?

Are you kidding?

Isn't it really difficult to take a daysail?

I would much rather sell my house, quit my job, and use all my financial resources to pursue an activity I have no experience in. After I all, I have 2 whole posts on sailnet - I am practically an internet sailing veteran.

My next question: even though I have no sailing experience and no boat, is it reasonable for me to sail across the Atlantic starting next Tuesday on the flimsiest production boat I can find?
Yes, Darwinism needs to stay alive and active and this post is proof it is alive and well active! Love all the replies!
Old 01-07-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Aint gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnasty View Post
I have decided to leave the rat race and find a liveaboard boat. Problem is I have a wife and three kids. I figure a three cabin would be perfect because the two youngest kids can share. Any idea's what kind I should be looking for. I'm thinking anywhere from 36-40 feet. I really like the looks of the Bayfield 32 but figure it's way to small. I am only looking to spend from $20,000 to $30,000, and I currently have no sailing experience. Any sugestions or advice would be much appreciated.

DOC

Why limit yourself to a "water home"...all those marina fees and maintenance cost...nay...find a nice spot somewhere in West Virginia and buy one of these:
Used 2006 Ameri-Camp Summit Ridge 32WBQBRA Fifth Wheels at Beckleys RVs Thurmont Maryland Beckleys RVs
or
Used 2006 Newmar Cypress 32WBQBRA Fifth Wheels at Beckleys RVs Thurmont Maryland Beckleys RVs

The used Houseboat is great suggestion too.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by T37Chef; 01-07-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.