Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012

Shon is on a distinguished road
survey

Good idea !! I know from personal experiance that an unbiased opinion is needed when buying a boat. I have a HUGE white elephant sitting @ the marina because I didn't take my own advise !! Shame on me. Later: Shon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Be aware that getting from Guatemala back to Florida is NOT a trivial sail.

Also that Guatemalan summers are VERY humid and hence damaging to all sorts of boat bits.
Old 02-04-2012

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Rio dulce is a very popular hurricane season hideout. Can it really be so bad then ? (with the moisture thing...)

I was not planning to go back to florida. I think it wont take very long there for me to lose more in marina fees than the cost of the boat. (In guatemala i might have a free spot to park it, and if not, marinas are there for 100$ a month)

Last edited by Arjen; 02-04-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2012

Can i ask you the favor of giving me your opinions on a few more listings ? This is pretty much the rest of the listing i selected this far on the east side of florida.
Pearson 35 1969 Pearson P35 sailboat for sale in Florida
Columbia 27 Search Sailboats for Sale
Pearson 30 1980 Pearson Yachts Pearson 30 sailboat for sale in Florida
Columbia 31 1976 Columbia 9.6m sailboat for sale in Florida
27' Cal 1977 Cal Cal 2-27 sailboat for sale in Florida
31,5Hughes 1981 HUGHES 31 sailboat for sale in Florida
Pearson 30 1973 Pearson sailboat for sale in Florida
Watlikns W27 1978 Watlikns W27 sailboat for sale in Florida
27 Bristol
27 Ericson
27 columbia 1977 Columbia 8.3 sailboat for sale in Florida
28 islander 1976 islander I28 sailboat for sale in Florida
29 columbia 1978 columbia 8.7 sailboat for sale in Florida
27 cal 1976 Cal Boats 2-27 sailboat for sale in Florida
If you dont feel like clicking the links, just commenting on the reputation of this type of boat would of course be helpfull as well Just give it whatever effort you feel like.
I avoided the catalinas and hunters in my first selection since everyone seems to think they are crap

And how about that outboard engine idea ? this 31,5 hughes also has an outboard, but the broker i sproke and gave this same list stated it as one of the better ones. Then again, he wanted to sell me the morgan 36 without engine
Personally it seemed a reasonable idea to me since at least it is easy replaceable, accessible and not ridiculously old like the rest of the boat. Besides that, i intend to actually sail the boat and have the engine only for going in and out of the harbor and maybe emergencies. What is the main reason to be so strongly against an outboard engine ?

Last edited by Arjen; 02-04-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2012

Arjen: That is quite a list there !!

I stumbled through them & IF I were to lean in the direction of any of them the 80 Pearson would be my first consideration. The fact that it was used in "fresh water" for most of it's past life is a +.

The Columbia 31.5 looks to be a engine problem just waiting for a new "sucker" ! ADD 10K

27'Cal: The o/b would be one of my concerns as that transon wasn't designed to carry the weight of a BOUNCING outboard in a rough sea !

31.5 Hughes: Again you have the outboard issue + the pictures are 5 years old !!

30 Pearson: ? OK & it has some amenities that you will find handy. I'd look real close for leaks & blisters !!

Watkins 27: Nice size for two people + the survey is only three months old ! Look it over & talk with the marina that did the work.

78 Columbia: !!! Look at the rot in the bulkheads where the chain plater are anchored ! The bolts are pulling through as we speak !!

Cal 27: My first question is what are you going to do when that rowboat slams into you in rough seas ? I mean other that sink !!

I guess looking at all of the listings the 80 Pearson or the 27' Watking should be looked at. Your "dream" of cheap living cost in other countries is appealing BUT remember even with a 6K $ boat you would appear RICH to the people that live there & poor to the tourist that sail there. Do you have any personal protection on board as you will surely need it some dark night when your dingy & outboard are carried away by some hungry local !!

Just my personal thoughts, but you asked so ther you are. Good Luck.

ps: I got back home from Florida yesterday, sorry I missed you. Shon
Old 02-04-2012

Thanx, you think i can assign any value to a survey supplied by the seller ?

Oh and the answer to that dingy: try to get it cheaper without the dinghy, or resell the dinghy asap and get an inflatable.

About the protection, i have been traveling in third world countries by land. I'm used to the locals thinking im rich and this far it doesn't seem that bad to me. Sure it is a good reason against easy to steal outboards though. If you mean a firearm for protection, that sure sounds interesting, but i guess it's gonna cause trouble with coastguard inspections.

Last edited by Arjen; 02-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
Thanx, you think i can assign any value to a survey supplied by the seller ?
Some value, I suppose. Not enough to avoid my own, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-05-2012

OH, yes the Coast Guard ! I had forgotten about them. I carry a federal pistol permit but even with that I still generally leave the gun home ! If you have it , you might just use it !! After 25 years working in the prison system one tends to look at the seeder side of life differently. The wife says I'm a little "paranoid" I just think I'm tainted.

Anyway the list of boats had so OK & some NO-WAY boats in it. Like I said I didn't take my own advise & now I have to remove & rebuild the entire deck & two houses on my schooner. I fell in love with this boat over ten years time & when it came up at a price I could afford I jumped in without looking ! BAD IDEA !!!

Use you head & take your time. That three month old survey will be of "some" value BUT deffinetly talk with the marina that did the repairs. They have no reason to lie to you since they already have their money & might even suggest a couple things that could save you in the long run.

Good Luck: Shon

ps:Your right about the inflatable
Old 02-13-2012
yelnats69

yelnats69 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to yelnats69
Good luck with your venture, but don't let the Florida sun and Bahamas fool you, the seas can be treacherous and scary to say the least, Storms come up on you very quickly and you can lose visibility in minutes. You can never have too much safety equipment. On the whole most boaters will come to your assistance in an emergency. On route from Fort Pierce to the Bahamas, we saw 5 water spouts, not another boat on the horizon, I hi-tailed it back to the mariner, to a few jibes of " We thought you were a good sailer" my reply "I am", moral being: good sense and a good engine' beats fighting the elements.
There are bargains to be found, check out boatangels and others selling sailboats on ebay & Craig's list.
Apply common sense and logic when inspecting, if hard to get at items like sea cocks and valves bilges are in good condition and the engine room is clean & tidy then thats a sure sign the previous owner loved the boat. Ask other people in the marina about the boats history, anything thats bolted on only costs money to replace, makes sure the deck is solid and has no soft or spongy areas same for the hull, make sure its solid, don't be afraid of blisters unless they are huge, you can deal with them., I never heard of a blisters sinking a ship! but they are great when negotiating a price.
Just remember all boats a projects, some just a little bit bigger that others, and besides, buying a sailboat beats wasting money on stupid stuff like food & bills.
Stan & Karen project "Moonshine"
Palm Coast Florida

I think you will have to end up with a project boat
Old 02-14-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
That Pearson 30 looks pretty clean and if the sails really are new and the diesel is in good nick then the price is not too outragous but there is room for negotiation. However the anchoring system needs upgrading to all chain with a decent size 30 to 35 lb hook. Also you need a good autopilot or windvane.

With your plan of heading from Florida to the Caribbean then to the Rio Dulce IMHO FORGET anything with an outboard.

Last edited by TQA; 02-14-2012 at 11:31 AM.