As mentioned earlier, i am awaiting the survey on that rawson 30 that will happen after it arrives at my friends in Guatemala around the 23th if everything goes to plan. I am now searching for a second option if that is gonna turn out not good enough. (of course im not expecting it to be perfect, and i am willing to spend a few more k's on this one if needed, i just want to be sure there are no mayor structural problems) So as for pulling the trigger, that will happen in about 10 days. Until that time, i just try to see more boats and then if its not gonna be the rawson, i can choose the best of what i have seen.
For my expectations on this budget, i have the feeling that i need to be pretty lucky to find a reasonably good 30ft for 10k. And most of the piles of crap were 30ft+. Now i am mostly looking at 27-28 fts. If i look at all the adds, and the 2 boats that i just mentioned, i have the impression that 7-8k should be enough to buy a reasonably good boat of this size. So I'll be looking at a few more of those the coming week so i can immediately decide after the rawson's survey. At this point, the 2 boats i mentioned on the last page are the only candidates, the 27 being in good condition, but a bit small to my liking, and the 28 being very much to my liking, but needing some issues fixed.
bronco, What does NC stand for ? (north carolina ?, not really planning to go that far up, but thanks
PS: earlier in this tread someone advised me the book "inspecting the aging sailboat" by don casey. I ordered it and am reading it. Its a great book and while i have not yet been able to put its information to much use, i feel sure it can help me a lot both if im gonna have to decide what boat to put up for survey if no rawson. Ill just spend a few hours or a day on the boat going trough this book
And it also seems very valuable to keep me on track in maintenance after i buy a boat. Thanks for the tip.
PPS: Can you guys give me more of an indication of the costs to fix mentioned problems on the Sabre ? How much should i expect to pay for the dry-rot problem, for repainting either one or both sides of the boat above water and a jib ? (or whats a good place to find a used but good one?)