Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012

Arjen is on a distinguished road
i called for the pearson 30 that was listed for 15k. I looked at boats listed up to 15k because my 10k budget is a little flexible and if we could meet in the middle there, it could be good for me if the boat is in good state.

However, i immediately asked him on the phone if the price is flexible because of my limited budget, and he said he wouldn't go below 14k so i didnt go to see it. Maybe it was not a good idea to ask that first call and i could have gotten to 12k5 if i had gone see it first, but then again, it is on the other side of florida and it would be quite a waste of time and money for me travel 300 miles and back to see a boat that is gonna be out of my budget anyway. So tomorrow im traveling to ft myers to see some 27-28ft boats...

This far, my searches havent been very fruitfull. I have seen a few terrible project boats that are absolutely no option.

I saw 2 boats that seemed like somewhat of an option, but still not really all that.

I have seen a 27 ft Kelt 7,60 in ft lauderdale that seemed to be in good state, but it was very small inside and had an outboard that goes trough some hole in the back. It is obviously designed like that, but i imagine not a lot of movement is needed to have the water constantly splattering up there. Listed for 12k, but without any negotiation the broker told me it would be 8k.

I saw a 28' sabre in st Pete this week. I really liked the space inside. It was however missing a jib (seller said it was stolen), the honest seeming seller (manager at the st pete aquarium where they fix up injured dolphins and turtles) stated there was dry-rot at the chain plate that could be fixed for 450$ (i doubt that figure a bit though) and the paint on the side was scratched in a little touche with the dock or another boat. Other than that it looked good. Listed for 10k, seller said 6k would be enough, again before any negotiation. If i'd be sure i could fix these problems for say another 3k total and maybe get the price even a little lower, it would seem like an option to me. However, i have my doubts about that dry-rot thing. It sounds like something more serious to me than a 450$ repair. (I couldnt judge for myself though, it was only because the seller told me that i know about it)

Most of the rest of the list was either sold already, or the broker didn't return my call. So now im at the florida west coast with a new list.

And thats pretty much all. I am very much hoping the rawson 30 is gonna get a good survey report...

Last edited by Arjen; 02-17-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Dry rot at the chainplate can be a serious repair, but I think if you were to get the boat at $6k, you could EASILY address that problem and still come in well under budget. Sabre is a really solid boat. The rot around the chainplate is usually the result of a broken seal around the chainplate itself, and once the rot is fixed, and you get the chainplates re-bed, you'll be in great shape.

I honestly don't think you're going to get much better for the money. And, you said yourself, you feel the seller is forthcoming with the boats problems. I don't think you'll get that from a broker at that price point.

Think about the Sabre like this: You've flown in to Florida to buy a cheap boat and get on the water. You found mountains of crap, and this one that needs some TLC but is in otherwise decent shape. You can pass it up and hope to find another good boat in the piles of crap out there, or, you can pull the trigger and get moving with your dream.

Good luck!!
eddie nelson likes this.

I'm a sailor, I sail!
Old 02-17-2012

bronco524 is on a distinguished road
Contact

Dear Arjen,

I have been in contact with a guy in NC named Bill. His email is: hearsejr@yahoo.com ,Perhaps he can help you. Good luck bud.

Jack (bronco524)
Old 02-17-2012

As mentioned earlier, i am awaiting the survey on that rawson 30 that will happen after it arrives at my friends in Guatemala around the 23th if everything goes to plan. I am now searching for a second option if that is gonna turn out not good enough. (of course im not expecting it to be perfect, and i am willing to spend a few more k's on this one if needed, i just want to be sure there are no mayor structural problems) So as for pulling the trigger, that will happen in about 10 days. Until that time, i just try to see more boats and then if its not gonna be the rawson, i can choose the best of what i have seen.

For my expectations on this budget, i have the feeling that i need to be pretty lucky to find a reasonably good 30ft for 10k. And most of the piles of crap were 30ft+. Now i am mostly looking at 27-28 fts. If i look at all the adds, and the 2 boats that i just mentioned, i have the impression that 7-8k should be enough to buy a reasonably good boat of this size. So I'll be looking at a few more of those the coming week so i can immediately decide after the rawson's survey. At this point, the 2 boats i mentioned on the last page are the only candidates, the 27 being in good condition, but a bit small to my liking, and the 28 being very much to my liking, but needing some issues fixed.

bronco, What does NC stand for ? (north carolina ?, not really planning to go that far up, but thanks .)

PS: earlier in this tread someone advised me the book "inspecting the aging sailboat" by don casey. I ordered it and am reading it. Its a great book and while i have not yet been able to put its information to much use, i feel sure it can help me a lot both if im gonna have to decide what boat to put up for survey if no rawson. Ill just spend a few hours or a day on the boat going trough this book And it also seems very valuable to keep me on track in maintenance after i buy a boat. Thanks for the tip.

PPS: Can you guys give me more of an indication of the costs to fix mentioned problems on the Sabre ? How much should i expect to pay for the dry-rot problem, for repainting either one or both sides of the boat above water and a jib ? (or whats a good place to find a used but good one?)

Last edited by Arjen; 02-17-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2012

Nc

Dear Arjen,

NC stands for North Carolina. I suggested Bill in NC because he appears to have many contacts regarding sailboats. We communicated some regarding a 29 footer. Give him an email, he may or may not be able to help but what do you have to loose on an email?
Good luck bud?):

Jack
Old 02-18-2012

Link

Dear Arjen,

Here is message in another forum at a different site you may be interested in.

First boat: Columbia 7.6, San Juan 7.7, Hunter 27? - SailboatOwners.com

the site is called "Sailboatowners.com" and the link is: sailboatowners.com

Jack
Old 02-20-2012

Well, last 2 days i got better results. yesterday i looked at a columbia 30. It looked pretty good in general, the engine runned well. Only possible downsides i saw was cracked paint all over the deck (but the deck felt solid and didnt make a sound, so i think it is only the paint). Some Water in the bilge (but that was on every boat ive seen this far, its just that i dont like not knowing where it comes from). And one of the poles that holds the lifelines was really very flexible on the deck and the screws on the bottom were very rusted. Kind of makes me worry water is getting into the deck there and maybe the wood is already rotten. Unfortunately i didnt check it out better. Maybe its nothing though, then this looks like a good boat for 12k5.

today i looked at a morgan 27. It was equiped for racing rather than living on board. It didnt even have a fresh water instalation, nothing to cook, little interior stuff, no auto pilot, nothing. However, all that was there, looked excelent.
Everything clear to see, not even floor boards over the bilge.
Riggings pretty new, bottom paint pretty new, sails (3jibs + spinakker) in good condition.
Outboard engine easy for maintanance.

I am thinking a boat like this might be a good choise for my first boat. It looks like this is not gonna give me maintanance nightmares and surprises. I would however have to add some kitchen equipment, and i think a solar panel for some power generation. The outboard may not be good for off shoring, but it sure is nice for low maintanance, and the boat was desinged with it apearently. 5500$ for this one. another 1500 for a solar panel and some camping cooking gear and i should be able to live on it

PS: i mailed Bill, got some link to mail someone at a bahama harbor that is selling boats. Didnt get a reply yet.
Old 02-21-2012

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you may have found a couple more more prospects. Any boat you buy is going to need some additional capital; and at $5,500, it sounds like you'll be able to still come in under budget assuming there aren't any terrible surprises.

What ever came of the Sabre, is it still under consideration?

I'm a sailor, I sail!
Old 02-21-2012

The sabre 28, the morgan 27 and the columbia 30 are all still in consideration, but i tend mostly towards the morgan 27. And i will be looking at some more boats in the comming days.

And the bahama mail is replied to. I asked them if those boats are really in good condition and not to waste my time and money on traveling to the bahamas. There also is a sabre 28 for 4000, and it is promised to be in sailaway condition. This apearently is for sale by the marina itself, so i assume its from customers who stopped paying. I guess that might make it a reasonable chance they are selling it cheap without it having to be a pile of ****. I don't yet know how hard is gonna be to get from miami to the bahamas though without any means of transport of my own... (and of course, im still first awaiting the rawson survey)

Last edited by Arjen; 02-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2012

I had another productive day today, i have seen 3 boats

A 30' Lancer didnt look like it will be a contender. The shrouds were a bit loose, and 2 of them had a tiny 1x3" backing plate and starshaped crackling on the deck around them, the other 2 had normal chainplates. Can it be designed like that ?

I saw a boat marketed as "classic 28" it was from '64 and i dont remember the name of the maker anymore, something like sabaro ? While i couldnt find any real serious problems on it, It just looked a bit too basic to me and had zero equipment.

And i saw a newport 28 that i quite liked. Wheel steering, spacious interior, and everything just looked fine except for it needing some varnish on the outside wood parts. Price about 6k5. I googled it though, and it seems to have a bit of a mediocre reputation, being called a production boat and compared to those catalinas and hunters people tell me i shouldnt buy... It does have a diesel and brass trough hulls though (2 of the complaints about the design that i found on the internet)

What do you guys think about the newport28 ? On sight, it seems to be my favorite now.

Last edited by Arjen; 02-22-2012 at 08:26 PM.