SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Recommended cruising boats (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/8305-recommended-cruising-boats.html)

gregreinhard 10-16-2003 08:51 AM

Recommended cruising boats

Author: gregreinhard
We are looking for a used cruising boat about 37-40 ft with a wide beam. Ideally it would be capable of sailing in the Carribbean and perhaps beyond. So far we have liked the Island Packet 35, the Tayana 37 and perhaps a Morgan 38. Are their others that we should investigate? Our price range is about $75,000 - 125,00 max.

walt123 10-16-2003 01:08 PM

Go to www.cascadeyachts.com. I have listed my Cal 43 "Summer Wind". Very well equipped for cruising and priced right.

neworlsailer 10-16-2003 01:14 PM

I''m in much the same situation. price-wise, and need-wise and have my own string goin here under the heading Morgan Nelson/Marack 454cb with significant comments about that specific boat, but not much else.

i looked back over some of the old strings on this message board and found a reference to a very interesting site: www.mahina.com. i haven''t explored it throughly yet, but it seems to contain loads of info for folks like you and me. look under selecting a cruising boat.

Philip

Jeff_H 10-16-2003 05:10 PM

I just have to ask this, why would you limit your search boats with wide beams?

Generally a lot of bad traits are associated with wide beam such as a quick motion, small angle of positive stability, poor windward performance, large wetted surface, so poor heavy and light air performance. Obviously these problems can be designed around to one degree or another, but as a general rule, wide beam is not a desirable characteristic for a cruising boat, at least not a monohull.

Respectfully,
Jeff

PDixon 10-16-2003 09:15 PM

Jeff H:
I have long thought the Hunter 37 Cutter is a good low cost boat that is built better than most of the new Hunters. Do you have any comment?

Jeff_H 10-17-2003 03:33 AM

I think that the late 1970''s and early 1980''s era Hunter 37 cutter (and 36 sloop) were both very nice inexpensive cruisers. I would not necessarily say they are better built than the new Hunters. Mythology and public opinion aside, and dispite the fact that I am not a big fan of the current use of B&R rigs or the rolled out flange hull deck joints, many of the newer Hunters benefit from kevlar vinylester laminates at potential impact and high stress areas and very well engineered and sophisticated hull framing schemes. But that is not the topic on the floor.

The Hunter 37 cutter/36 sloop offers a very nice layout, good tankage and storage, good performance in a wide range of conditions, good ventilation and a reasonable build quality. (I was just aboard a very nice sample of this boat last weekend) As nearly 25 year old boats these boats either have been reconditioned/upgraded by now or else need to be. The best deals are some of the boats that have been lovingly upgraded but have not done any heavy cruising. There are some shortcomings to these boats, but in general I have always liked them. I would not call them beamy which I believe the original poster wanted.

Jeff

gregreinhard 10-17-2003 06:09 AM

The requirement of a broad beam is because the admiral demands it. Kitchen work space, live aboard, etc.

mdougan 10-17-2003 09:57 AM

You might want to have a look at the Hans Christian boats. They have a good reputation for cruising and are very well appointed below. They come in lengths of 33, 38 and maybe 42-43. I think you can find some in the 33 to 38 size in your price range. Check www.yachtworld.com

Jeff_H 10-17-2003 02:57 PM

I would suggest that you would get more useable space in a more easily handled boat, perhaps even for less money if you looked for a longer boat with the same displacement and therefore less beam. Beam buys you little in the way of useable space as compared to length. While beam makes a shorter boat feel bigger, within reason a longer narrower boat will produce a more comfortable boat in all ways. The price of beam is a real reduction in sailing ability and seaworthiness to the point that you might want to consider a trawler, at least that way you will spend less time motoring.

Respectfully,
Jeff

WHOOSH 10-20-2003 02:57 AM

Jeff makes a valid observation, altho'' of course the trick is to fold in all these variables (build quality, size, layout, cost, etc.) into some choices that are desireable to the person asking the question.

My reading of the original post is that a Caribbean cruise is being considered. I would be VERY reluctant to take a Hunter 37 cutter down there, only because the 37''s I''ve seen (different from the ones Jeff''s seen) are poorly constructed, suffer from bent rudder posts and bent shafts even on the ICW run, and would not enjoy the heavy windward motorsailing, while the hull/deck monocoque structure is worked over and over by the opposing swell & wind waves. Just about anything can get down there, of course, but the boats mentioned ("... Island Packet 35, the Tayana 37 and perhaps a Morgan 38") are all IMO of substantially better construction and more suitable for that kind of run without undue stress on the crew.

Jack