Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012

Controlled Jibe is on a distinguished road
MarkSF, thanks for the tips on the Bristols, we've indeed found them to be rare in our neck of the woods. I take it you're a fan of the 31.1? Any pros/cons you'd like to share?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cruising until the money runs out or the golden retriever mutinies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2012

I really like the Tartan 30, it seems to me very similar to the Yankee 30, but for 1/2 the price. Do you, or anyone else that's listening, know of differences between the two. ...And yeah, Bumfuzzle is great, we've been reading their stories for a while. thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-25-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
I vote for Ericson . . .ask around at ericsonyachts.org great quality boats and many in the west coast area a very supportive and knowledgeable group . . .
Old 01-26-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlled Jibe View Post
MarkSF, thanks for the tips on the Bristols, we've indeed found them to be rare in our neck of the woods. I take it you're a fan of the 31.1? Any pros/cons you'd like to share?
Yes I do think it's a great boat. The most major pro would be the build quality. It really is that good. Top quality hardware, heavy lay up, heavy keel, and construction follows best practice at the time, throughout, it seems. You look in the books at how a seacock should be done, the wiring done, or the propane installed, and it looks just like the "good example" pics.

It's a good SF Bay boat for me - heavy and predictable with a nice motion in a chop.

The negatives are what you'd expect from the numbers I think : it's a bit slow by modern standards (but not that slow, will gain on most 32 foot cruisers upwind if sailed properly). Accommodation by modern standards is a bit tight (no aft double). The V berth is large though. Mysteriously there's a pilot berth on the drawings but none in the boat. I have cabinets instead. Maybe an option?

31.1s are a bit over your budget. 29.9s would be just within it though.
Old 01-26-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I really like the Tartan 30, it seems to me very similar to the Yankee 30, but for 1/2 the price. Do you, or anyone else that's listening, know of differences between the two. ...And yeah, Bumfuzzle is great, we've been reading their stories for a while. thanks
Both are nice boats. I haven't been on a Yankee 30 in many years, but one recollection is that the boat is somewhat narrower than a Tartan 30, in checking the specs I see the difference is a foot. That's represents a lot of interior volume which would be important to your use. I have always thought the Tartan 30 a more desirable boat and would be surprised that the be any price difference between comparable condition boats. I can see from the analysis on your website that you are starting off with a keen awareness of the importance of condition and equipment in valuing a boat. At some time you might post one of your spreadsheets for other to review. There are many who think price is all.

Last edited by sailingfool; 01-26-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2012

Mike, as per your idea, we just put an ad on the Ericson owner's forum, and I think we might do the same for all the owners' group sites of boats on our list. Good idea. Do you have any experience with the Independence 31 specifically?

Mark, thanks for your input, that correlates with what we've heard in general about the Bristols: solid build quality. We'll just keep our eyes peeled and maybe one will present itself out on the west coast. You never know.

Sailing Fool, Perhaps the lower prices I've been seeing on Tartans were more a factor of their condition compared to the Yankees (which have all been pretty well maintained). We've also seen quite a few of the racing version of the Tartan 30 (not sure the model # that differentiates), and they've been cheap, but also quite spartan on the interior. We'll keep looking. The more I see of the Tartans, the higher they climb on the list. ...Thanks for the input on the website as well, we're actually hoping to add a link to an even more extensive spreadsheet we've built comparing factors of these different boats.

Old 01-26-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
How about this Valiant 32 in La Paz: 1977 Valiant Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com?

She might need a little work, but the price and location could be right. Plus, you gotta love the affordable Perry designs. I think I volleyed some emails with this particular owner back when it was listed on Craigslist a year or so ago and thought it might be good find for me, if it were closer to the Great Lakes!

Old 01-26-2012

kwaltersmi, If you want a good laugh, you should read a post on our website called "confessions" (see link below). You'll find a couple of good photos of that Valiant, pre-fiberglass repair. Let's just say it looks like she rides a little wet! We definitely appreciate the lead on a boat, but this is truly one whose price was "too good to be true." If you see any others, though, please do keep em coming.

Sailing Dog...I just ran across your boat buying tips post and then your blog, and just wanted to say thanks for putting that out there. I can tell that it will be a tremendous resource for us. Hopefully someday soon we'll be able to provide some of the answers, as well as the questions.

Old 01-26-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
kwaltersmi, If you want a good laugh, you should read a post on our website called "confessions" (see link below).
OMG!!! Definately been through the ringer. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-26-2012

Yeah, apparently she rode the sea wall for a few days during Hurricane Marty.

Tags
gulf of california , mexico , sea of cortez