Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012

tankersteve is on a distinguished road
What is the 411 on the Kiries?

I have looked at these and they seem quite nice, yet strangely are rather affordable? At least below the 54 foot length. What am I missing?

Of course, most are in the med...

Tankersteve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
I have looked at these and they seem quite nice, yet strangely are rather affordable? At least below the 54 foot length. What am I missing?

Of course, most are in the med...

Tankersteve

Steve

Some Elites were built in Sorel, Quebec during the '80s. Some are still around in the PNW. I sued to use a 364 for teaching and was watch captain on a delivery from Hawaii on a 37 in 2000.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-29-2012

Ok

They just look like a pretty nice, well-built boat, yet have catalina or even lower pricing. Well, a bit more research is in order.

Tankersteve
Old 01-29-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Moodies, like Bristol and probably other brands, went up-market in their later years to find buyers so there is a difference between the older and newer. I have a friend with a Moody 345 and it is a very nice boat, although would seem a bit tight with two growing kids for me. Also the three cabins in a boat like this are the fore, aft and main, so the parents end up sleeping in the main cabin which means that the dinette table needs to be folded down every night - or you sleep on opposite settees. A big advantage of the charter boats is that there are many with three sleeping cabins.

If you were to buy an old charter boat it would be a good idea to be somewhere with good access to boat bits. There are very good marine stores in St Thomas, St Maarten. and Grenada. You could go out there ahead of the family to do the work needed - and there would be work needed.
Old 02-05-2012

Killarney,

Thanks for the info on the Moodies. I guess some brands did what they had to do to survive. I like the look of the Moodies, but parts would probably be harder to source, and the owner's site for Cat 42s is tough to beat for advice.

As for buying a charter boat, the wife is not into the option of buying this way. She wants the boat to have 'her stuff' and 'our gear' on it and it seems like it would be hard to equip in this manner. Ideally, we would buy on the east coast, even florida with its great parts availability. Would prices be that much better in the areas you mentioned, such as parts or (especially) labor?

As we will be bringing a fair amount of equipment across from our previous boat, I am not sure if it would be economical to ship it all.

Thanks for the help.

Tankersteve