Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003

casey1004 is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

Is it normal to have anxiety attacks in buying a first boat? I''ve made an offer on a catalina 36 that has been accepted and now I am panicking. It''s my first boat (been sailing with a sailing club for 3 years) and I am used to sailing smaller boats (J-30, for the most part). I am hoping I''m not overwhelmed by a 36 foot boat. I am wondering what I am getting into. I love sailing I just hope my family does too. Will this pass??? I want to be excited about this!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
anxiety in buying a boat

Yes that is normal at least in my experience. I have bought over a dozen boats in my lifetime and everytime there is the moment of doubt when I find myself asking, "What have I done to myself?" While a Catalina 36 is a big boat for a first boat, it is a good boat with a careful survey, sail trial and engine inspection you should be fine. If this is the wrong boat the good news about Catalinas is that they are pretty easy to resell without taking too bad a bath.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 10-20-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

Casey - Congratulations...nothing like being a boat owner. Is this a new boat or used? What year?

I too have a C36 and I remember when I first went to look at the boat and I thought "oh man?! Is that going to be too big to handle?". I was moving up from an old Watkins 27 and even though that was big for a 27 footer this 36 just seemed huge. But after having the boat for a few weeks, I realized it was no big deal and single hand it all the time.

You will find that the C36 is a pretty good sailing boat, that has a decent sea handling capability, with no real bad manners to speak of.

ps. You will be surprised. Your family might love the boat, just as much as you. Do a lot of destination cruises and set it up for anchoring & relaxing and it turns out to be a very nice "home unit" for the family folks. They will love the room and setup below, it will seem absolutely palatial compared what they might have sailed with you before. Many people really comment on how nice and livable it is on a weekend cruise. Woman and men and landlubbers too.

pss. You should seriously consider joining a local Catalina 36 Fleet or the very least the Catalina 36 International Organization. (www.catalina36.org) Its a great social organization with rendezvous, regatta''s & a great support system of owners, for tips, upgrades, etc that you can rely on when it comes to the C36.
Old 10-21-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

There''s a technical term for this. It''s called "Buyer''s remorse".

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 10-21-2003

maestro is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

I too had anxiety when I bought my first boat 3 years ago. Now I have Bigger Boat Disease.....which I think is worse

Old 10-21-2003

meolsen is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

Hey! Bigger Boat disease. I have that too. How''d I get it? I guess I caught it when I bought my boat, and now have a good view of all the other boats that I like so much.

Mike
Old 10-21-2003

gstraub is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

I have a similar problem. Sold our boat 3 years ago before moving and now I can''t make up my mind which boat to buy for fear I''ll pick the wrong one!!!! So.....I''m still not on the water! At least you have the boat!

Gerhard
Old 10-21-2003

gstraub is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

I have a similar problem. Sold our boat 3 years ago before moving and now I can''t make up my mind which boat to buy for fear I''ll pick the wrong one!!!! So.....I''m still not on the water! At least you have the boat!

Gerhard
Old 10-21-2003

Sailmc is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

Buy the one that gets you excited and does what you want it to do.
Old 10-22-2003

casey1004 is on a distinguished road
anxiety in buying a boat

Thank you everyone for the thoughts. You are right Jeff, in that if it turns out to be the wrong decision, I can always sell it. The boat is a 2001 loaded. I have not sailed it as it is already out of the water (northeast) so I''ll to buy it without sailing it, but I''m assured it will be fine. My spouse does not know how to sail but tells me he will learn so I''ll be on my own a bit. I am hoping my children, ages 7 & 9 are comfortable and love it. I am hoping to give them great memories. I have until Monday, Oct 27th to back out of the deal but everything is in place and I''m just gonna go for it.