SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is this a good deal???

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  neverknow 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
This boat came up recently in another thread... some considerable evidence of it having been underwater for some time..

Keep looking!

#7 ·
While searching for my C34 late in 2011, think you'll find lots of boats for not lots of money, much closer to home. One can find a pretty nice coastal cruiser in the $20-30k range, IMO. Even teens. Find one that has had some semblance of care, that maybe someone has to sell due to health or financial reasons. Not one that was used, abused and left for dead.

What are you looking for in a boat?

#9 ·
Yes I saw that, it either was sunk or was a bath tub on the hard for awhile.

What we will be looking for is a 38-42ft boat to live-aboard. Our first few yrs will be spent coastal cruising the US east & gulf coast and than heading to the islands. Long term maybe crossing a ocean. But we need lot's of exp before that happens.

Our delima right now is the age old argument about production boats and going off shore. Do we buy a older production boat or a "blue water" boat.

We have a few yrs left to decide.

#12 ·
We have explained a little of our plan on other threads. The budget for our boat will be $30-60K. You are right, we are looking for the smallest boat we can find that meets our few requirements.

We need a boat with 2 separate sleeping areas, although a aft quarter berth might work. We just don't want to have to sleep in the dinette every night. It would also be nice if it had a separate shower too.

As far as the cost we are very frugal and know how to do most maintenance work ourselves. Of coarse we have no way of knowing the real cost until we get out there. That's why we plan to spend a few yrs in the USA learning what works and what doesn't. At this point we are not worried about the money, we'll have enough.

#13 ·
Keep a sharp eye out and you nwill find the"Neo"

My budget was 8 to 10 grand finished, for a 30 footer weak-ender. Got the boat for 1,500. so now I should be able to update her. around $7,500 I dont like to spend :puke money.
Good luck. You may can find a free boat you know?

#19 ·
Life style will have as much to do with the cost to cruise as anything. For instance I can not tell when we went out to eat last & it's been so long since we went to see a movie I'm not sure it was this century.

Most of the furniture and cloths we have came from goodwill. We don't own a car with less than 100K miles on it. Heck I even built my own house, work shop and all the equipment for our business.

When is the last time you heard of someone removing the engine from their own car and rebuilding it?

These days it seems not many ppl do anything for themselves. There is nothing I can not fix or do myself. If I don't know how I'll learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.