Help I feel out of my depth - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 02-10-2012

Just get the motorboat, make the wife happy. Get yourself a fun little dinghy for next to nothing for the sailing fix. If you play it right you could even keep the sailboat on the yacht as one of the tenders or toys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 02-10-2012

Maybe sell her on the interior! and as for the cost argument, if you factor in fuel there is no debate at all.
Tartan Yachts Model - Model Overview

if you do go to the dark side, these guys are making some killer boats... the express 50 is a gem.
http://www.prestige-yachts.com/
obvious affiliation

How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 02-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.
post #13 of 45 Old 02-10-2012
Dragon Mod

Dock
rwilson,

We have had more than a few spousal venting posts lately and yours just happened to come in at the wrong time.

I'm sorry that you're going away with a bad taste for this forum but I hope you consider the suggestion to keep a dinghy and remain with the forum. Otherwise, once you become a powerboat owner you'll have no need for us and I wish you luck with your new boat and new career.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #14 of 45 Old 02-10-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
James and rest of you. Get a freak-in life. Why do all have flame anyone here regardless of the post. You guys make me sick, Please keep your freak-in opinions like that to yourself. These bulletins are meant to get answers to questions.
For the poster, I might look at a motorsail boat like an IP SP. There are a few other boats that might fit the bill.

Melissa Renee
Moondance
Catalina 445, Hull #90
post #15 of 45 Old 02-10-2012
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Reluctant sailing wives often like catamarans. Get a day charter on one. Visit somewhere exotic for lunch.
post #16 of 45 Old 02-10-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

Personal Attacks, misinformation (there was a Capri 21) and unnecessarily roughness removed by Jeff_H, SailNet moderator

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-10-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Personal Attacks, misinformation and unnecessarily roughness removed, Jeff_H SailNet moderator
post #17 of 45 Old 02-10-2012
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
edited comment
So? Just ignore it. Do we really need a "troll patrol" on the forum to "out" people? We can figure out for ourselves if we want to participate in a thread.
rugosa likes this.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Last edited by Faster; 02-10-2012 at 12:10 PM.
post #18 of 45 Old 02-10-2012

If rwilson is legit and sticks with sailing, I hope he sticks around and contributes. The OP story was out there a bit and I hope he recognizes that posting while drinking will usually get one in trouble. Who here hasn't made that mistake? Brush it off.

However, troll or not, come to a sailing forum and ask about buying a power boat and you should expect some flack. No?

I mean anyone that prefers a powerboat must be an uneducated, unattractive, sickly, unsociable, poor mannered, alcoholic.......... troll. Thats the standard line we all practice on day one at sailing school. Whether anyone means it or not is in the eye of the beholder.

For more practical input, a half million dollar boat can take more than a $300k salary to keep. It depends on your circumstances, but be realistic. Costs go up much faster than boat length. If I didn't do a fair amount of work on ours, we wouldn't be able to afford her. We all kid about boat bucks, but everything on a 50 footer is breathtaking.

I agree that a few sailing vacations on both cats and big monos might help you both settle on a direction and get more experience. Jumping from a 21 footer to a 50 footer is going to be another language.
chef2sail and rugosa like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 45 Old 02-10-2012
me at 67!

senses a bit of anarchy of late?

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #20 of 45 Old 02-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
James and rest of you. Get a freak-in life. Why do all have flame anyone here regardless of the post. You guys make me sick, Please keep your freak-in opinions like that to yourself. These bulletins are meant to get answers to questions.
For the poster, I might look at a motorsail boat like an IP SP. There are a few other boats that might fit the bill.
In James' defense, his skepticism was justified by the original post. If the original post had not been "written while slightly inebriated," James might not have been led down that path. Whenever you do anything "while slightly inebriated," there's an increased likelihood that you're going to embarrass yourself.

Nevertheless, rwilson37643 shouldn't go away. Most of the participants here have embarrassed themselves in a post at some time or another, and some of us even did it while stone cold sober. He'll fit right in with us.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.