Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012

rwilson37643 is on a distinguished road
Help I feel out of my depth

I love to sail. I have loved sailing for almost twenty years. I have lived to this point with an extremely limited budget, the most expensive boat I've ever owned is a 21 ft Catalina bought used for 10k. I have finally finished law school and got a real job at the age of forty, and can afford the yacht I've always dreamed of. I've long dreamed of sailing with my wife and kids from Miami to Bimini in my very own 40-50 ft yacht, but now that I can afford it, the combination of limited time to play and my wife's love of speed is leading me to consider a power yacht. The decision of power vs sail is one my wife and I have never seen eye to eye on, but cost has allowed me to win in the past. I am loosing now, and I've got to admit she has a point. we will be buying a new boat late this summer in the 300-600k price range and plan to use it for weekend trips and 2 2 week long trips per year. how do I convince my wife to stick to sailing?

Last edited by rwilson37643; 02-10-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Another troll post. The clues indicating that this poster is a troll:

1. Catalina does not make a 21 foot boat.

2. Law school graduates who were previously impoverished do not start out with a salary sufficient to buy a 300-600K "yacht". In addition, few true sailors refer to "yachts" - a term usually used by non-sailors.

3. Most law school graduates are capable of spelling "losing", hypenating compound phrases "eye-to-eye", and using proper punctuation "[w]e"...., etc. This is another post that appears to be written as a text message by a pimply 13 year old.

O.K., clown, I called your bluff. Prove you are not a troll. Where did you pass the bar? Which firm are you with? What is your real name?
Old 02-10-2012

MattSplatt is on a distinguished road
James, that is *so* not what I thought you'd say. ;-) :-D
Old 02-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
James I have a masters degree inpolitical science and will be attending law school in 2 years when I retire from my food career. And obviously I cannot spell....: laugher

Scratch that from the criteria. The other is sufficient

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 02-10-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Where did you pass the bar?
Trick question!! Most lawyers I know are incapable of passing a bar without stopping in for a pint...or four.
sawingknots and arf145 like this.

Old 02-10-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
A love for speed, and wife who wants a power boat..good grief, must be a lawyer..

Ever hear about the 10,000 lawyers on the bottom of the Sea? A good start. LMFAO

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-10-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Actually, at one time Catalina did produce a few 21' sailboats...
Victory 21 Sailboat History

Beyond that, it does seem odd that someone who just finished law school now thinks they can afford a 40-50 foot "yacht."

However, what I really don't get is why are we getting so many of these postings lately that seem to be looking for marriage counseling? Is it just me, or does it seem like there has been a veritable flood of these "my wife and I can't agree... please help me convince her" types of postings? (With the very rare "my husband and I..." posting tossed in now and then.)

Seriously. You come to a public internet forum, focused on sailing, to look for answers on how to communicate effectively with your spouse? I just don't get that at all.
Old 02-10-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Probably trolls, too...

Personal attack and unnecessary roughness removed...Jeff_H, SailNet moderator

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-10-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2012

rwilson37643 is on a distinguished road
I certainly will not give you my name or that of my employer. I never said that I came from abject poverty, only that I had been living with limited funds. I had a very successful though unfulfilling management career before attending law school. During the last six years of that career my family was living on one income while my wife attended school. For three years we only had my wifeís income while I attended school. I graduated from Vanderbilt School of Law in 2009, took and passed the Bar exam at the Arlington Convention Center in July of 2009.During the two years immediately following law school any extra money went to paying off debt. As of last August we are debt free. I work for a large law firm in Houston; my wife is a nurse practitioner. Between our salaries and capital gains from investment properties we make just over three hundred thousand dollars a year. By late this summer, thanks largely to the sale of our home in Nashville, we will have two hundred thousand dollars for a down payment on a boat. I didnít share this information before because I didnít think it was relevant.
Catalina did build a twenty-one footer, The Capri 21. Iíve never seen another one, but I loved mine it was built in 1979 and restored by Correct Craft in 1992. I sold it to a friend and know it is currently at a marina on Watauga Lake in northeast Tennessee.
As for the bashing of my typing prowess, that post was written while slightly inebriated, at four in the morning, on a borrowed computer, over a thousand miles from home. This is a message board pertaining to a hobby, I didnít think I would be judged so harshly for grammar and spelling or I would have waited till morning.
Iíve got to admit that although it was not my intent to learn a great deal from this post, (my intention was to vent about my wife and maybe come in contact with other with whom to share my hobby) I did learn something. I had no idea what the term ďtrollĒ meant. Had you not called me a troll I would not have looked it up.
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".(Wikipedia)
What in this post was inflammatory? How could my post provoke an emotional response?
I will not post here in the future, and I apologize for any perceived inconvenience.
rugosa likes this.
Old 02-10-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
On a more serious note, have you considered a multi-hull (or a marriage counselor)? The former will add an element of speed, the second ....