Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
1977 27ft CS Yacht?

I am interested in this boat... 1977 Canadian Sail Yanmar Diesel sailboat for sale in Louisiana I don't know much about CS yet, are these solid boats? It seems like what he is asking is a bit high? After I read more on these models I am probably going to make an offer. Any suggestions on a good offer to start with, I was thinking as low as $4000 or $5000 cash?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
When I was looking, I avoided the small live-aboard boats like the plague -there is something unappealing about a 27' sailboat with a 36" flat screen, microwave, and electric oil heater. Looks too much like a sailing doublewide.

Do you plan to paint it? Not everyone will appreciate the faded purple trim. You will have trouble reselling it, unless the buyer is Barney.

For that price, I suspect you can find something better if you plan to actually sail it...

Last edited by jameswilson29; 02-11-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
That's a great price for a very good small cruiser. About half of current market, even in THIS market.

It's a little raggedy, but I've seen worse for more money.

MaineSail sails a CS.

More info here:
CS 27 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
As a former CS owner, I would say you can't go wrong with a CS boat. They are well built and very nicely designed - a sailor's sailboat.

If you are looking for a liveaboard (yikes...), this would be the boat, otherwise you should feel comfortable about junking the TV, etc. It looks like the owner might be a smoker...make sure the boat does not have a stale smoke smell that may linger fory ears.

A well made 27 with a diesel, $6500 is not much...but you can try an offer as you had in mind, you never know.

PS- even in this size boat and price, I'd do a survey and have the engine checked by a mechanic.

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-11-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
As a former CS employee (tooling, lead hand in deck assembly, mobile service) - these were real popular (still are) boats on Great Lakes, Canadian east & west coasts and we had a dealer network down through to Gulf Coast Florida.

Solid glass hull, balsa cored deck, plywood reinforcing blocks in way of all throughbolt fittings. An inboard deisel at that time was rare in that size. Basically a real simple boat designed by Camper Nicholson of England, based on other CN models with salt water sailing in mind.

Strengths - deep cockpit with bridgedeck, proper icebox, no exterior wood to maintain (tiller is ash), welded bow & stern rails, English built Proctor spars (unless they have been replaced), gel coat used inside all lockers & underside of deck (instead of paint), inboard diesel, transom hung rudder, integrated aluminum toe rail with stanchions, good headroom for size, all factory installed deck fittings bedded in butyl, you can still get CS parts at Holland Marine Holland Marine Products

Weaknesses - no opening ports, history of bottom blisters, dark cove stripe and transom that fades (this one is red, CS did not offer Barney purple), steel fuel tank, 35 year old diesel (get the engine checked by mechanic), original rudder design was not balanced (my first job at the plant was to retrofit customer rudders and install new leading edge to 'semi-balance'). If the forward edge of the rudder is basically straight top to bottom it is older version, if it extends forward about 2" below the skeg shoe it has been retrofitted.

The side decks are narrow to max out interior space, difficult to move fore and aft at rest but the angle is perfect underway and intended to walk on cabin side. Looks like there is some spinnaker fittings on deck also, they were optional, as well as the secondary cockpit winches.

To control costs & maintain quality CS subcontracted interior cabinetry to Craftwood Industries in Toronto, basically cabinets were trimmed and fitted at the plant. This was the time when CS was hiring Raymond Wall from CN and he was designing the 36. Selling boats was not a problem and dealers were ordering for delivery spring the following year. We were completing 100 boats a year and gearing up to produce 50 36's too.

I agree with sailingfool & bl about the price, asking prices on Lakes Ontario & Huron would be double.

Owners association at CS Owners Associations Home Page
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by rugosa; 02-11-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
I am not necessarily looking for a permanent liveaboard but I am looking to stay onboard about 2 to 4 days a week during the summer so I can do more sailing. So it absolutely has to sail. I am also looking to step up to something in the high 20ft range so I have more room. Also my girlfriend will appreciate more comfort and space down below and shore power with a little AC is a plus. If I am paying for a slip with electric I want to be able to use it. I don't care for the purple and I did notice it looks like it needs paint. I would rather stay with an outboard powered boat for now as I don't know much about these diesels. I might jump on it if the owner wants to let it go for what I was going to offer because then I don't think I can go to wrong. I just need to make sure I actually step up and not step down. It's a step up in size but I question the rest but that will be answered when I go take a look at it and get a survey. My boat may be smaller but it sure is super clean and very nice inside and out. I can sail my boat as is for many years to come. I have a buyer for mine (after the first day posting it) so I need to decide what I am going to do today since he wants it and will probably get it tomorrow. I am a little uneasy about letting her go but if the right boat comes along at a good deal, I am willing to do it. Not too many boats are catching my eye in my area right now and I am trying not to buy out of state and have to pay to transport it back.
Old 02-11-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
These boats sail very well, esp upwind in a breeze. Rock solid as indicated above. Buffing or painting the trim would be a relatively easy chore and in any event any 'red' boat of that era is likely to look the same or worse.

It's a good starting price and if there are no issues that's a deal.

Biggest visual issue is the '70s' plaid cushions, but then again, common on any boat of that era!

Mitiempo (Brian) here on SN lives aboard one of these in Victoria.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-11-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Take her for test sail in moderate to heavy conditions, then you'll know how she fits your plans. BTW - turning a dull n dark cove stripe to any other color is small job (lots of SN threads on this) compared to major work.

While the diesel is probably the most complicated part of the CS 27, well maintained Yanmars and the like are noted for trouble free reliability, especially when you really need em.

And the head door - some people didn't like it, but Raymond Wall's ingenuity designed it with a purpose. Once you get used to it you will see it eliminates a 2nd door in the walk through and affords privacy to main and forward cabins.

When you survey - deep keel is iron and was epoxy coated at the plant, shoal draft is lead.
Old 02-11-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
When you survey - deep keel is iron and was epoxy coated at the plant, shoal draft is lead.
Really!... didn't know that. Is it true of any other models?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Having owned diesels and OBs, I would MUCH rather have a diesel if the application is suitable...
and this one is.

Last spring, I decided to overhaul the top end of my Yanmar 1GM10. R and R required a 12 mm wrench, a 10 mm wrench, a 14 mm wrench, a phillips head screwdriver, and a slotted screwdriver. I tore it down, replaced the valves, installed a new injector, cleaned up the combustion chamber, replaced the alt belt, installed new crush washers on the fuel line, reassembled, adjusted the valves, bled the lines and cranked up and left the dock... in an afternoon.
I haven't had to touch it since. And it burns a QUART of fuel an hour at cruise.
My total fuel bill last season was less than $15.

I couldn't and wouldn't do any of that with an OB.

Oh, and no lost tools, or parts overboard when working on an inboard.

Seriously, jump on this boat. You won't regret it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.