Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Hadn't heard they were 500 lbs lighter in the keel. Wonder how that affects the boat overall? I don't feel the A35 is overly stiff, but she isn't what I would call tender.
The boats stats and one version of her history, including the comment about the elimination of ballast are here:
ERICSON 35-1 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Interestingly, the ballast is the same (5300) as the Alberg, yet the displacement is 600 lbs lighter on the Ericson, giving it a Balast/displacement ratio of 44.17%, compared to 42.06%. Don't know what it means, but it's interesting! Maybe the shape of the keel was changed (cutaway?) while still using the same amount of led.

Last edited by L124C; 02-20-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
The boats stats and one version of her history, including the comment about the elimination of ballast are here:
ERICSON 35-1 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Interestingly, the ballast is the same (5300) as the Alberg, yet the displacement is 600 lbs lighter on the Ericson, giving it a Balast/displacement ratio of 44.17%, compared to 42.06%. Don't know what it means, but it's interesting! Maybe the shape of the keel was changed (cutaway?) while still using the same amount of led.
Any boat that Bruce King was involved with is going to be beautiful - he is a true artist. His personal boat, Unicorn, was for sale a while back. Lots of pictures in the ad - it was one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen. Well worth selling ones soul for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-20-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Any boat that Bruce King was involved with is going to be beautiful - he is a true artist. His personal boat, Unicorn, was for sale a while back. Lots of pictures in the ad - it was one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen. Well worth selling ones soul for.
I saw Unicorn at the Newport Beach Boat Show a few years ago. It looked even better in person than it did in the ads. She really is a thing of beauty.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 02-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2012

Here is a link to pictures on Ebay of Unicorn.41' Bruce King Ketch "Unicorn", 1976, total restoration to modern standards 41' Bruce King Ketch "Unicorn", 1976, total restoration to modern standards | eBay. I found it on a Sailing Anarchy thread, and had to laugh at one of the posts. "Unicorn is a beautiful boat, but whoever put the dodger on her should be shot!". I concur!
On the other hand, she has too much wood on her for me to even consider maintaining. I often say that I love to admire wooden boats from afar. So that just goes to show, while I love classic lines, I have my limits!
Old 02-21-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Pretty boat.. agree about the upkeep but sure like that 'wood on white' interior treatment. Much cheerier than a lot of teak cellars that some boats end up with.

Bruce King was involved in a series of 100+ footers along the same lines.. I forget who built them - equally gorgeous on a 'other world' scale!

Named Whitehawk:

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-21-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

Thanks for those - I rest my case! Looking at the "1/2 angle" of the bow in that starboard aft quarter shot sure shows a difference compared to older clipper bows doesn't it?

Quote:
I found it on a Sailing Anarchy thread, and had to laugh at one of the posts. "Unicorn is a beautiful boat, but whoever put the dodger on her should be shot!". I concur!
I can't recall ever seeing a dodger that didn't add a bunch of ugly to a boat.

Quote:
On the other hand, she has too much wood on her for me to even consider maintaining. I often say that I love to admire wooden boats from afar. So that just goes to show, while I love classic lines, I have my limits!
Yeah, she's ALL wood but at least it's epoxy cold mould so you don't have to worry about re-fastening & re-planking. That varnish would be like painting the Golden Gate bridge though - just keep on doing laps. If I lived in S.F. I might consider a boat like that - the climate there seems quite benign to varnish and wood, certainly compared to here.

As an aside, I heard that Ferenc Mate built a boat much like that when he sold Warm Rain. I was told it lives in Duncan or Cow Bay or somewhere around there - any of you Islanders know anything about it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-23-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2012
Senior Slacker

A few things I can recall from seeing Unicorn "in the flesh", so to speak:

- The cockpit seemed HUGE, but not terribly deep. If you look closely at those pics, the forward part of the cockpit forms a sort of big bridge-deck. That makes room for lounging and kicking back, leaving the aft part of the cockpit for sail-handling, et cetera. The seats in the aft part of the cockpit could easily accommodate 6 or 8 people, as I recall. I imagine that one could daysail with 10 or 12 people without it seeming overly crowded.

- I don't recall the dodger being there when I saw her. But, I do seem to recall there being a bimini over at least part of the cockpit.

- I saw Unicorn before a lot of the upgrades mentioned in the add had been done, so she did seem a little "dated". However, everything seemed first rate and very well planned out. I can't really tell from the pics, but I hope they didn't modernize her too much. The over-all "package" was very nice the way it was when I saw her.

- The interior layout was very nice. The "Master" stateroom is just aft of the companionway, with what looked to be a queen-size berth to starboard. This is tucked in under that raised part of the cockpit, with full-height headroom just on the port side of the stateroom (under the extension of the coach roof to port and aft of the companionway, if you look at the pics). That might seem a tad claustrophobic to some, but the way it was done looked pretty slick to be.

- The rest of the interior seemed very well planned (as I would expect from Bruce King). The galley might be a bit small in comparison to some modern production boats, but the layout seemed very sensible.

- I'm surprised Unicorn has been on the market for so long. I don't know it she was purchased after I saw her, and is now being resold, or what. But, she seems to have been on the market more or less continuously for at least five or six years.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
A few things I can recall from seeing Unicorn "in the flesh", so to speak:

- The cockpit seemed HUGE, but not terribly deep. If you look closely at those pics, the forward part of the cockpit forms a sort of big bridge-deck. That makes room for lounging and kicking back, leaving the aft part of the cockpit for sail-handling, et cetera. The seats in the aft part of the cockpit could easily accommodate 6 or 8 people, as I recall. I imagine that one could daysail with 10 or 12 people without it seeming overly crowded.

- I don't recall the dodger being there when I saw her. But, I do seem to recall there being a bimini over at least part of the cockpit.

- I saw Unicorn before a lot of the upgrades mentioned in the add had been done, so she did seem a little "dated". However, everything seemed first rate and very well planned out. I can't really tell from the pics, but I hope they didn't modernize her too much. The over-all "package" was very nice the way it was when I saw her.

- The interior layout was very nice. The "Master" stateroom is just aft of the companionway, with what looked to be a queen-size berth to starboard. This is tucked in under that raised part of the cockpit, with full-height headroom just on the port side of the stateroom (under the extension of the coach roof to port and aft of the companionway, if you look at the pics). That might seem a tad claustrophobic to some, but the way it was done looked pretty slick to be.

- The rest of the interior seemed very well planned (as I would expect from Bruce King). The galley might be a bit small in comparison to some modern production boats, but the layout seemed very sensible.

- I'm surprised Unicorn has been on the market for so long. I don't know it she was purchased after I saw her, and is now being resold, or what. But, she seems to have been on the market more or less continuously for at least five or six years.
I'd imagine price and varnish scare a lot of people off.

Old 02-21-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
I'd imagine price and varnish scare a lot of people off.
Maybe. But I've seen boats with a LOT more exterior varnished wood. And the Price never seemed terribly high to me, compared to some other (much uglier) boats of that size (granted, she's way out of my range).
Old 02-23-2012

Quote:
Yeah, she's ALL wood but at least it's epoxy cold mold so you don't have to worry about re-fastening & re-planking. That varnish would be like painting the Golden Gate bridge though - just keep on doing laps. If I lived in S.F. I might consider a boat like that - the climate there seems quite benign to varnish and wood, certainly compared to here.
Oh...so thats what "Cold Mold" is! I've never heard the term and was wondering. I saw "Mahogany planking" and was confused. Still wouldn't (couldn't!) touch her with a ten foot pole, but thanks for clearing that up!

BTW, I love the description in the ad that she was maintained "with an open checkbook". A boat yards dream, a boat owners nightmare. Unless of course the boat owner has a much larger check book than me! Most wooden boat owners I've met do.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but I found it amazing that with the attention to detail they gave that boat, they left the propane tanks uncovered in the back of the cockpit. Maybe there is a technical reason, but it would be so easy to provide removable trim on the the front of the compartment. When I'm sitting in THAT cockpit, I don't want to be looking a propane tanks. Though...it looks like they varnished the rack they sit in!

Last edited by L124C; 02-23-2012 at 02:46 AM.