Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012

cntrycuz is on a distinguished road
I recently finished a headliner project, wow!!! If you would like, I'll send you some pictures.... good luck, Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Yo n8, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it to truck cross country? That would be some pretty valuable information for people thinking about doing the same (like the Bumfuzzles listing their costs for virtually everything) - and I didn't see a figure in your blog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-21-2012

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road
Re: Proud new owner of a Cheoy Lee Offshore 41

Hello, I am also looking at Offshore 41's and wonder what you can now add as to how well you like the boat, what is really good, what is not so good, and what you have had to done to repair and upgrade her. By the way, I looked at, but did not physically see, the Cheoy Lee for sale in Santa Barbara, which I now see is sale pending. Any comments and suggestions concerning the CL Offshore 41 would be greatly appreciated. Thx, Jon, err, Desert Pirate.
Old 05-21-2012

Did you ever receive a reply as to just what it cost to transport the Cheoy Lee 41 from the East to the West coasts? Some "real" information on such a move might be helpful to me, and others.
Old 05-21-2012
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road

I shipped my boat from Annapolis to San Diego. I found a shipper on uShip and negotiated a deal for $8500, all taxes included. The preparations at the yard in Maryland cost $1438.50. I flew cross country with Natalie (my awesome pregnant wife) and with help from my Mom, Dad, Sister and her husband got the boat all packed up for shipping, the rigging removed from the masts and the masts wrapped in bubble wrap for shipping.

The yard bill in San Diego was more than I expected. There was cracking in the gel coat on the bottom of the keel that I had repaired while the mast foot was being replaced. The total bill for the repairs and launch was $1410.86.
Insurance on this baby with $500,000 liability is $742.90.

It's been quite a trip to get the boat habitable, but my wife and I are living aboard now and expecting a baby boy to arrive any day now. Her due date is May 31.

I'm going to keep working on my site and make a new page for the Cheoy Lee and have another page for the costs or projects and then cruising.

We finally sailed the boat yesterday for the first time and it sailed beautifully! The wind in San Diego Bay south of the Coronado Bay Bridge was steady from the west at about 10 knots. There were some gusts and close hauled we got the boat up to just over 7 knots through the water! It was exhilarating sailing the boat.

So to sum it all up. $12092.26 is what it cost to get the boat insured, prepped and shipped from the Annapolis to San Diego. The boat is 44 ft overall.
Old 05-21-2012

Thanks for your prompt reply. As expensive as the shipping was, it sounds like a good price. I figured 10K! Was the insurance just for the trip out west, or is that your boat insurance for an entire year? There is another CL 41 for sale in Portsmouth, RI, asking 49K, and that's why I'm asking these questions. Thx
Old 05-21-2012
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrycuz View Post
I recently finished a headliner project, wow!!! If you would like, I'll send you some pictures.... good luck, Rick
I'd love to see some pictures of the headliner project. That would be a good new thread.
Old 05-21-2012
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPirate View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply. As expensive as the shipping was, it sounds like a good price. I figured 10K! Was the insurance just for the trip out west, or is that your boat insurance for an entire year? There is another CL 41 for sale in Portsmouth, RI, asking 49K, and that's why I'm asking these questions. Thx
The insurance was for the whole year, and not just for shipping. The shipper provided his own cargo insurance.
Old 05-25-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Proud new owner of a Cheoy Lee Offshore 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Welcome to the world of fat old ketches with bowsprits. You're in good company.
That's one strange comment-verging-on-a-putdown of a fast offshore proven Ray Richards design.

Old 05-25-2012
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
That's one strange comment-verging-on-a-putdown of a fast offshore proven Ray Richards design.

I had initially ignored that because my ketch does not have a bow sprit. :-D

See, there's no bowsprit!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.