Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Brokers drive me nuts

About 1 out of 10 answers their phone directly. From the remaining 9 where i leave my number on the messaging machine, another 1 returns my call.

I already got into a habbit of not saying what boat i'm calling for so that they dont know its about a <10.000$ boat, but that doesnt seem to help.

Besides that they list boats with a broken chainplate, non functioning engine, rigging in need of replacement and a completely rotten interior from "some water damaga" as "well taken care for". The next one has a crackling deck that i feel giving way under my feet "oh thats just the pain you hear".

Today i had an apponment to see a boat, but got a message "sorry, we're not here today, so you cant see it now"

Lesson learned: If i ever get to sell a boat, i wont use a broker, they are not really trying.

I'm getting desperately annoyed now though, trying to buy a boat. I want to get out of this damn shitty Florida state full of lying losers. Sorry for the rant..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I looked up and down the eastern coast for three years, and had similar experiences to yous with some, but not all brokers. Florida is NOT the only state with crappy brokers. However, not all brokers are crappy.
Old 02-17-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
One more thing;

Despite the fact that it is easy to get the broker's, or brokerage's email address, DO NOT BOTHER SENDING A BROKER AN EMAIL. In three years of looking I never had one broker reply to an initial inquiry.

You have to call or meet them in person.

I believe that brokers use email to communicate ONLY after they have qualified you as a potential buyer.
Old 02-17-2012

ye, i emailed 2 without getting a reply. One because there was no number in the add, the other because there was a wrong number in the add...
Old 02-17-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
About 1 out of 10 answers their phone directly. From the remaining 9 where i leave my number on the messaging machine, another 1 returns my call.

I already got into a habbit of not saying what boat i'm calling for so that they dont know its about a <10.000$ boat, but that doesnt seem to help.
Okay, so you call but don't bother telling them what boat you are interested in... I wouldn't call you back either. I don't play guessing games.

By taking that approach, you are virtually guaranteeing a broker will not take you seriously.
Serious buyers know what boat they are calling about and want info now.

My experience with brokers is that every inquiry I have made by email has been answered.
Every one.
No matter how big or small the boat or the price tag on the boat.
In some cases, the broker phoned me and emailed me.

Under 10 grand, you will often find boats that are crunchy, soft, ugly nasty, and have been listed forever, especially if you are looking for boats that SHOULD be over $10K or search for ads that say "recent price reduction"
WHY do you think the price was reduced?

If you are gonna be a bottom feeder, you're gonna have to navigate some wrecks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2012

I did try saying what boat im calling for, but then they dont call back either. I figured that was because they arent interested in the cheap boats, so i stopped telling about what boat it was.

And anyway, they are the ones using an answering machine because THEY are not available. So i leave my number and they should call back right ? At least if they want to sell anything.... IMO, if you want to sell anything, you make sure there is someone answering the phone. At least thats how we do things on land the Netherlands. (maybe thats why our economy is still functioning....)

And about the wrecks, of course i dont expect to buy top of the line boats for 10k, but i do expect people to be somewhat honest about what they are selling. Not listing a boat as well taken care for @10k and then it being a terrible project boat that they will easilly sell below 5k. It doesnt seem to me that this is gonna benefit them either, they are simply targeting the wrong group of buyers like this and wasting everyones time. This is like listing a truck when you are actually selling a swimming pool.

Last edited by Arjen; 02-17-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Rather than trying to deal with lots of brokers and their various whims, you ought to find just one broker who you find personable and helpful, and turn your boat search over to him//her, let him deal with the other brokers for you, and to find boats that are worth your (and his) time to go an look at.

Good brokers will treat the <$10000 buyer well because every big buck boat buyer started out that way. The way a good boat broker makes money, is just like the real estate broker, they latch onto a string of first time buyers, and then do a dozen deals (buy, sell, buy, sell...) for each of those individuals over the individual's lifetime of boating. Any one client should be good for a dozen commissions.

Skip calling lots of brokers, find one, commit to his services, and he will be calling you regularly until you are in a boat of your choice. A good broker may be slow returning a stranger's call because he is busy calling his many repeat customers, you just need to break into the chain.
Faster, JimMcGee, PorFin and 2 others like this.
Old 02-17-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I had a much more fortunate experience in buying my boat. The initial callback came from one of the other brokers in the office, not the broker handling the boat. In the end, the one I first spoke with helped me with the purchase (without fee) and then used their Port Supply card for me to make some major purchases (saved me enough to pay for the wind generator).

So while it is frustrating, it is what it is, and it's only the interest of the broker in a) selling the boat, or b) lucking in to meeting one who wants you to get a boat (as in my case).

You might want to avail yourself of this resource: Local boat buying assistance

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 02-17-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i feel about the same about brokers as i do used car salesmen,if one is sucessful its usually because he knows lots of tricks [steam clean the oil leaks,put tire blacking on old tires,i'd much rather buy from an individual,if your careful you can determine the honesty of the seller
Old 02-17-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
At your price range, you should probably buy directly from a private owner - Craigslist is your friend.
Faster, davidpm, chef2sail and 1 others like this.