Help with a first boat purchase... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 02-22-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Yurtie is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies! I guess it probably would be nice to have a potty on board. Though its not a deal breaker. Those Bluenoses are pretty boats! I'll put that on my list of boats to look at. I definitely want to keep it close to 20ft or less though! Off to look up Bluenoses now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 02-22-2012
bljones's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Coast Ontario
Posts: 8,207
Thanks: 33
Thanked 74 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 8
bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
If you want a bluenose, I know of at least two.
__________________
It's 5 o'clock somewhere:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 02-22-2012
deniseO30's Avatar
1934 Chickering
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 6,344
Thanks: 52
Thanked 101 Times in 91 Posts
Rep Power: 10
deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I had a hunter 23 some time back.. I can't begin to imagine 4 people on a 22 ish foot boat. weight is somewhere from 400 - 600 lbs for 4 adults
__________________
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club. New Website!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 02-22-2012
bljones's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Coast Ontario
Posts: 8,207
Thanks: 33
Thanked 74 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 8
bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
We routinely sail with 4-6 on our 23' boat.
And the medium sized dog and the small sports dog.
__________________
It's 5 o'clock somewhere:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 02-23-2012
CalebD's Avatar
Tartan 27' owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,616
Thanks: 4
Thanked 93 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 7
CalebD will become famous soon enough
BLJ: What sport is the small dog playing while you are sailing?
Hopefully not 'fetch'.

"Small sports dog"?! What sports does he play?

I know! Ultimate frizbee and he's great at it. Right?

Maybe you meant he liked playing on a miniature chess board?

I've thought of nothing and I'm all out of ideas.
ppiccolo1 likes this.
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 02-23-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 02-23-2012
bljones's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Coast Ontario
Posts: 8,207
Thanks: 33
Thanked 74 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 8
bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
small sports dog- he's sort of like the MG Midget of dogs. Not horribly useful, not the fastest, but cutely amusing.
__________________
It's 5 o'clock somewhere:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 02-23-2012
mmazour's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 15
mmazour is on a distinguished road
S2 7.3 Fun and Fast

I had an S2 7.3 in 2003-2005 and it was fun fast little boat. I know it's a 24 but it handles 4 people, has a marine porta-pottie and usually can be found with a trailer. There are many on Sailboatlisting and Yachtworld.
Good Luck

Oops nevermind did not catch that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurtie View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I guess it probably would be nice to have a potty on board. Though its not a deal breaker. Those Bluenoses are pretty boats! I'll put that on my list of boats to look at. I definitely want to keep it close to 20ft or less though! Off to look up Bluenoses now...
__________________
s/v Siren Song 1994 Precision 28
If it ain't broke, it will be soon

Last edited by mmazour; 02-23-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: ADD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 02-24-2012
CalebD's Avatar
Tartan 27' owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,616
Thanks: 4
Thanked 93 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 7
CalebD will become famous soon enough
Dear Mr. Jones,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
small sports dog- he's sort of like the MG Midget of dogs. Not horribly useful, not the fastest, but cutely amusing.
Sorry to harangue you on this point but I can't seem to sleep and this was in my head. Even though I can't sleep I can't bring myself to grab pictures from your wonderfully amusing blog of your "not horribly useful, not the fastest, but cutely amusing" "small sports dog".
I have heard of show dogs, lap dogs, hot dogs, feral dogs, hairy dogs, hairless dogs, boat dogs, seeing eye dogs, service dogs, hunting dogs and in fact some incredibly smart dogs; some smarter then the average human being. I have never heard of a "small sports dog" unless he or she actually plays a sport like in the extremely entertaining Puppy Bowl that they broadcast alongside the US football game called the Super Bowl.

I also happen to have a pet although mine is a cat. My cat is actually quite good at cat soccer for about 30 seconds (something you might call football) but I do not consider my cat a soccer or football cat. The implications would be horrendous. My cat also likes iced water and prefers it to regular tap water. Similarly I do not call her an ice water cat as that has other connotations that make me think about ice water running in her veins and sitting on my face at night to suffocate me. Shudder! My cat also seems to have a highly developed sense of Feng Shui but I do not call her a Zen cat or Feng Shui cat because, well, you can figure out why. See attached picture for illustration please.

So, I beg you to reconsider that the "small sports dog" label simply means you have a small dog who happens to be sporty and is not a small MG sports car, or any kind of combustion engine or a car for that matter. I don't know what they teach you up there in Ontario but I'm sure it is quite in depth as you Canadians still enjoy warm relations with the British Empire, which used to be huge. I'm sure you also know that the British are known for their styling of their sports cars and not so much for their engines or electronics. I give you: Lucas - Prince of Darkness - Lucas Electrical Humor Jokes
as an example of British scientists creativity and humour.

I also note that you have a big, hairy, gray dog you have referred to as a "Wookie", which is much more appropriate, if inaccurate. I have never heard you refer to him as a sports dog unless you consider cleaning up after such a hairy beast a sport. I happen to think both of your dogs are cute and I am quite certain they are both amusing in many ways but neither one of them should be compared to some kind of combustion powered conveyance like a sports car or mini-bus for fleas. They are both dogs, whether small, large, hairy or short haired but my cat is still smarter then both of us.

Sincerely,
Caleb D.

**********************

No offense was intended with this post. The inspiration for the tone and obtuseness comes from: "yeah thats not what I was looking for at all."
David Thorne
the king of I'm not quite sure what, but which includes extreme sarcasm

Told you I couldn't sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with a first boat purchase...-bellawillow.jpg  
bljones likes this.
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 02-24-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 02-24-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
py26129 is on a distinguished road
Also consider a Shark 24. It's an absolute blast to sail,cheap and readily available around Kingston. If you want to race thereis quite a fleet at KYC.
Easily single handed, had a big cockpit and a wee cabin.

Cheers

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 02-24-2012
bljones's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Coast Ontario
Posts: 8,207
Thanks: 33
Thanked 74 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 8
bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Sorry to harangue you on this point but I can't seem to sleep and this was in my head. Even though I can't sleep I can't bring myself to grab pictures from your wonderfully amusing blog of your "not horribly useful, not the fastest, but cutely amusing" "small sports dog".
I have heard of show dogs, lap dogs, hot dogs, feral dogs, hairy dogs, hairless dogs, boat dogs, seeing eye dogs, service dogs, hunting dogs and in fact some incredibly smart dogs; some smarter then the average human being. I have never heard of a "small sports dog" unless he or she actually plays a sport like in the extremely entertaining Puppy Bowl that they broadcast alongside the US football game called the Super Bowl.

I also happen to have a pet although mine is a cat. My cat is actually quite good at cat soccer for about 30 seconds (something you might call football) but I do not consider my cat a soccer or football cat. The implications would be horrendous. My cat also likes iced water and prefers it to regular tap water. Similarly I do not call her an ice water cat as that has other connotations that make me think about ice water running in her veins and sitting on my face at night to suffocate me. Shudder! My cat also seems to have a highly developed sense of Feng Shui but I do not call her a Zen cat or Feng Shui cat because, well, you can figure out why. See attached picture for illustration please.

So, I beg you to reconsider that the "small sports dog" label simply means you have a small dog who happens to be sporty and is not a small MG sports car, or any kind of combustion engine or a car for that matter. I don't know what they teach you up there in Ontario but I'm sure it is quite in depth as you Canadians still enjoy warm relations with the British Empire, which used to be huge. I'm sure you also know that the British are known for their styling of their sports cars and not so much for their engines or electronics. I give you: Lucas - Prince of Darkness - Lucas Electrical Humor Jokes
as an example of British scientists creativity and humour.

I also note that you have a big, hairy, gray dog you have referred to as a "Wookie", which is much more appropriate, if inaccurate. I have never heard you refer to him as a sports dog unless you consider cleaning up after such a hairy beast a sport. I happen to think both of your dogs are cute and I am quite certain they are both amusing in many ways but neither one of them should be compared to some kind of combustion powered conveyance like a sports car or mini-bus for fleas. They are both dogs, whether small, large, hairy or short haired but my cat is still smarter then both of us.

Sincerely,
Caleb D.

**********************

No offense was intended with this post. The inspiration for the tone and obtuseness comes from: "yeah thats not what I was looking for at all."
David Thorne
the king of I'm not quite sure what, but which includes extreme sarcasm

Told you I couldn't sleep.
Two points:
1. I knew you were a cat person.
2. Best late night drunk post. Ever. Today.


"I AM a sports dog! Kicking cat ass is a sport, right?"
CalebD likes this.
__________________
It's 5 o'clock somewhere:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! My first boat purchase! ujk Newport 18 07-22-2012 12:49 PM
After you purchase your boat...? Telesailor Boat Review and Purchase Forum 12 07-31-2011 04:38 AM
First boat purchase dchasteen Introduce Yourself 0 09-01-2009 09:37 PM
first boat purchase RManning66 Boat Review and Purchase Forum 4 02-16-2009 06:48 PM
boat purchase scottmillington Boat Review and Purchase Forum 1 01-11-2006 06:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.