Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
Trailerable boats

Hi all,
I recently sold my 27 foot Cal 2-27 mostly due to figuring out what I don't want as a youngish sailboat owner. I'm 35, young kids, very busy career, and simply don't want a boat that has to live in a slip which increases the time and cost of maintanence. I want a boat that I can pull out of the water on my own, stash in an RV yard in the off season so I can go work on it close to home and when I have time rather than when the boat must have it.
I live in the SF Bay Area, sail on the bay and have.for a long time, but my big question is, moving towards trailerable boats, what is good quality out there? I'm just not that familiar with that segment of the boating world. I want either a daggerboard or swing keel or bilge keels. I love going into the delta to explore. I don't need something for offshore. I can charter a boat for that. But I do need something that can handle SF Bay summer winds that can get pretty breezy on a summer afternoon.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by benajah; 02-21-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2012

jcase12 is on a distinguished road
I just recently purchased a US 22 to restore. I have not sailed mine much but I have been on a Buc 22 a bunch with a friend which is nearly identical. We tow it in and out wtih a dodge ram with no problems (even on less than ideal ramps!). I like it because it is small enough to tow but still has nice accomadations for weekends (or longer for just a couple).
Old 02-27-2012

CliffRuckstuhl is on a distinguished road
S2 7.9 good boat dagger board most come with a trailer. They have a big cockpit and are great sailing boats. Were designed to be on a trailer launched from ramps and easy up for the mast.
Old 02-27-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road
What's your budget?
Old 02-27-2012

zeta is on a distinguished road
Lot of info here:
The Trailer Sailor - Home

I own a Potter 19 and I am very pleased, very active group in the Bay area with many cruising the Delta.
Old 02-27-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at the macgregor, the com-pac and the potters. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. We've moved away from the Cheaspeake Bay and no longer have a need for a large boat like I've had for the past 25 years so a trailerable boat seems like a good alternative to use in local mountain lakes around our new location.
Old 02-27-2012
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Don't forget about Montgomery's!

They are very strong and stout little boats. Harder to find though since their owners tend to never want to give them up, but there are reasons for that. I looked for 2 years for mine and I drove 10 hours one way to pick her up as soon as I found her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 02-27-2012

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
I've got a Cal 21...swing keel with 360# of lead. Only 1100# total. $1500-3500.
Old 02-28-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
I've kind of started looking closely at Montgomery's and Catalina 22s. I kind of shied away from Catalina's in bigger boats cause there seemed to be much more selection on the market and they are hard to re sale in the sf bay area. In the smaller boats they seem to be a good choice though.
Old 02-28-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by benajah View Post
I've kind of started looking closely at Montgomery's and Catalina 22s. I kind of shied away from Catalina's in bigger boats cause there seemed to be much more selection on the market and they are hard to re sale in the sf bay area. In the smaller boats they seem to be a good choice though.
If you want the family sailing support of an active association, check out the larger Potter designs like the 19, or give in and "be assimilated" by the Catalina 22 families.

If there were more examples to choose from in your area, I would (as a happy former owner) tell you to look closely at the Ranger 20.
Only caveat is that all of the swing/drop keel boats at 20 to 30 years of age need to have their keel lifting or pivoting mechanisms inspected closely and likely some deferred maintenance will need to be done.
The heyday of these thousands of trailerable sailors was in the 70's and 80's and bunches of them remain, in back yards and the back row at marinas everywhere. A number of them were decent designs when young and can be brought back (like the Cal 21 or the Santana 21, to name only a couple) and some were awful-sailing boats even when new.

Like that villain in Harry Potter, we refrain from mentioning their long-out-of-production names here to avoid invoking wrath/loathing from the remaining owners, but if you ask back channel, the guilty can be identified...

BTW, while their production numbers were smaller, the Montgomery's were some of the classier trailerables, too!

Happy shopping,

LB

Last edited by olson34; 02-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.