SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Looked at a CSY 44 Today (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/84213-looked-csy-44-today.html)

montenido 02-22-2012 07:50 PM

Looked at a CSY 44 Today

Hi all,
I looked at a CSY 44 today in my quest to find an affordable bluewater vessel. This one had the center cockpit and was cutter-rigged. 1979 model, with a rebuild on the motor in the '80s supposedly. The owner is asking $99K which seems very high to me.
The boat is very robust and has loads of deck space. Other than being dirty on the outside, it appeared to be in fairly good shape. Rigging appeared to be in good shape, new canvas. The electronics would need updating, but not sure about the rest.
Any opinions on these boats?

Cheers, Bill

TQA 02-23-2012 03:24 PM

Bit of a cult boat. Was high on my list as it has huge water tanks and is very strongly built. I must have looked at a dozen mostly in Florida and some were as high as 130k. Many are ex charter and will have high engine hours if they still have the original Perkins. The engine driven refrigeration suited charter use but is likely to have been replaced if not it will be on it's last legs. Slow and comfortable cuiser.

Chain plates are an issue and if have not been replaced should be at least pulled and inspected.

The bottom part of the keel on the deep draft version can be cut off if a shollow draft is desired.

The walk thru is consided more desirable than the walk over.

Active owners club here Welcome to the CSY Owners Group

Useful site here S/V Soggy Paws - CSY 44 - Circumnavigate with Dave and Sherry McCampbell

prior 03-04-2013 08:22 PM

Re: Looked at a CSY 44 Today

so did you buy a 44? I too am considering this boat for a get away vessel if I can sell my CS36. Hard to find any real performance opinions.
Thanks
Paul

TQA 03-06-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prior (Post 998495)
so did you buy a 44? I too am considering this boat for a get away vessel if I can sell my CS36. Hard to find any real performance opinions.
Thanks
Paul

It is a heavy boat with a lot of wetted area so does best with 15+ knots of wind.

There are a few around with taller rigs.

N.B. There is a motivated seller with on in St Maarten just now.

chucklesR 03-06-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prior (Post 998495)
Thanks
Paul

He changed his signature to reflect a 79 CSY 44, so I suspect he bought it

kwaltersmi 03-08-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 999101)
There is a motivated seller with on in St Maarten just now.

It appears there's a least two of these offered at competitive prices in the Caribbean right now. Wish I had the option/time to get one up here to the Great Lakes. I think they'd make a great, roomy family cruiser.

souljour2000 03-08-2013 04:12 PM

Those sure seem to be nice big boats...kind of a Morgan out-islander 44 on roids...most I seen seem to be either 20-30 grand on either side of a 100k....or right near the middle...depending on condition of things..