Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CliffRuckstuhl

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012

Krysten29 is on a distinguished road
Looking to purchase my first sailboat

I am trying to get advice on a good boat to buy as my first boat. I am in my mid-twenties and have never owned my own boat, nor had parents as boat owners, but I have been sailing most of my life. Most of my experience has been racing on dinghies and teaching on J-22s, and Sonars.

I would like to try and purchase a boat for around 5,000 dollars. I would like a small boat that would mostly be a daysailor, but could be used for a weekend trip. I would plan on keeping the boat anchored in Baltimore, MD and would just be used in Baltimore Harbor and the Chesapeake Bay.

I have run across a number of boats for sale in my price range, but I am hesitant to make any purchases. There are so many options and any direction would be helpful.

If I can provide anymore info please let me know!

Thanks,

Kristin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For that price there would be several 22-25 footers available that might fit the bill.. Being used to J 22s you may prefer some livelier performance boats, so that may be a factor, along with the generally shallow draft requirement for the Chesapeake (though in that size range it's probably not an issue)

Catalina 22/25, Ranger 23, Santana 20/525,... Pearson, O'Day, C&C, and many others all made boats in that range at some point. It's going to come down to how new you can get for your money, how much 'room' you need for overnighting, etc.

Go to Yachtworld.com and enter your search parameters for price, size and area, leaving 'brand' blank and see what comes up. You can 'window shop' and get an idea of what appeals to you. If you do a local search then what you see won't be too hard to get to so you can see the real deal.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-23-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Check out the "Boat" for sale section of Craigslist for Annapolis, Baltimore, Eastern Shore, Southern Maryland, Richmond and Norfolk, maybe even Delaware for your location.

Considering your usage, you should look into joining the J/Port Annapolis - J/World sailboat rental club that frees you from slip fees and all the related maintenance costs.
Old 02-24-2012

CliffRuckstuhl is on a distinguished road
Have you noticed that when your in someone else's car and how it rides differently from your's and then you start to notice where things are switches cruise control and so on. Sometimes you like how it is laid out and sometimes you wonder what they were thinking or if you drove it your knee hits on the console and you could never own that car.

Boats are the same way, I now own my 3rd J 29 (long Story as to why my 3rd J 29) When I race on someone else boat in my head I constantly compare it to my J 29 where the traveler is, is there room to trim the head sail while looking at it does it have wide side decks. Some boats have the winches so far back that it is awkward to winch it in while looking at it with out being in the way of the tiller or wheel. The other thing is if I am on a boat that is quite a bit slower I keep thinking we should be going faster because I am used to going faster and who wants to sail slow. Looking at Catalina 22/25 the C 22 has a PHRF number of 279 and what your used to on a J 22 which is 174 a C 25 is 231 and a J 24 is 171. When I talk to people about looking at the PHRF # of a boat they always say I am not a racer but what were looking at is how it performs boat to boat and these differences are HUGE. There should be plenty of J 24's in your price range sitting on a trailer J 22's tend to get more. After owning a J Boat I could not go back to any of the Hunter's I have owned in the past we usually do 2 weeks vacation on our J 29 here on Lake Erie and when friends who come aboard who have bigger boats and the condo camper type boats they laugh at the lack of room or furniture I have down below but when we sail together as a group we are at our destination hours before them and usually give them a head start only to catch them and pass them very soon.

I would look for a J 24 plenty of used sail's out there lots of boats fast fun to sail and everything is so open that fixing it is easy and can all be a do it your self project. Plus they still make them

Cliff
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 02-25-2012

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road
I was in the exact same situation until last week. I spent a year on this site, others, and bending every credible ear I came across and I finally decided on a cat 25 last week. I found craigslist to be the best, followed by owners association forums, boat trader not so much. Check out my thread title "pulling my hair out " soooo many options and pros vs cons to consider. At the end of the day day, the second I saw my new to me boat, I knew it, was it. After meeting the owner, a 71 yr old, old salt, fresh off back surgery I couldn't write the check fast enough. I was literally adopting a member of his family for $5,000. Love at first sight for me
Old 02-25-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I agree with suggestion for a J-24. Do a search for the issues with the boat, but $5000 should buy you a decent one. At your age you can deal with the limited cruising amenities. A couple in my yacht club cruised and raced one for quite a few years and they were older than you.
Old 02-25-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here's a YW search for your area for up to $5K

(Sail) Cruiser/Racer Boats For Sale

Not much there, but that's not unusual, most boats in this range will be found on Craigslist type sites rather than brokers' sites.

The Precision 23 listed here is of interest, I think. Not too many J 24s are really optimized for short/singlehanding, but of course that's addressable...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-05-2012
CS40 Elixir

CD30Peregrine is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to purchase my first sailboat

Don't do it!! I am warning you!! Most likely you will succumb to the boat owners curse of dirty fingernails, social ostracization, and empty pockets.

You will spend all your time working on it, only for the privliege of paying slip and insurance fees! All your friends who say they will go out (or help) with you will only do it once.

I suggest going to the boat yard, find the kind of boat you want and help the shmuck who owns it by helping sanding the bottom for a couple of days. You will then have a free boat forever as he repays his gratitude.

Trust me, I just bought my 4th boat and I know of what I speak! With any luck you will be helping me sand mine.

If you are too hardheaded to heed this sound advice, you may have a portion of what it takes to be a real sailor. In that case I suggest ignoring all the others well meaning advice and just buy what you like! You don't have to spend anywhere near $5,000 for what you are describing. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to purchase my first sailboat

I wonder if Krysten lost the link to Sailnet or lost the urge to buy a boat? Her one and only post was two months ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne