Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2003

winslow59 is on a distinguished road
34'''' Dehler Optima 101: questions

I''ve read the reviews and viewed the pictures on the net of the new Dehler 34. VERY nice - and more than I can spend.

There are a few 34'' Dehler Optima 101s from the late 1980s for sale in North America...

Van de Stadt design/Dehler built - a strong pedigree. But I''m having trouble fixing the design, likely performance characteristics, and purpose in my mind.

What are the experiences with &/or opinions of this boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I have always liked these boats. They are IOR era designs but they were nicely rounded boats to sail offering good performance in a wide range of conditions, as well as nice accommodations and very good construction quality. They were clearly intended as racer cruisers and could be successful at both in their day. Today they are a little slow as compared to more modern designs but they are still good sailing boats that should be raceable at the club level anyway. The fractional rig is a great set up for shorthanded or single-handed sailing.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 11-07-2003

paulmcquillan is on a distinguished road

A dock neighbor had one for several years, and we went sailing a number of times.

Inteligent design and gear layout for the most part. Liked the cockpit. Less thrilled about guests/kids working around the mid cockpit traveler. He upgraded to the Harken windward sheeting traveler, which was nice.

Hull is solid (and thin) but still stiff. High quality fittings. Typical german over-engineering.

comopromises: head extrends across entire cabin w slide out sink-in-a-drawer. Ice box is tiny (imagine lunch on Lake Zurich). There was something strange about the bow roller (don''t think it had one). Toe rail was molded in and a little low for me.

In short steep seas, the motion was a little quick for some people. In flatter water it was fairly quick.
Old 11-08-2003

winslow59 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your comments ... maybe not exactly what I''m hoping to find, but I may take a look at one when I''m visiting in Texas. Can''t hurt to see as many boats as I''m able...
Old 07-09-2007

boatmonkey is on a distinguished road
I just bought an 87 and find it to be pretty well rounded boat. Comfortable and fast enough to impress at the club meets (PERF is 132-135 on Lake Michigan). I too replaced the traveller with a Harken rig.

You should be able to pick one of these boats up in good condition in the 30's to 40K depending on outfitting, condition etc and if you do, I'd say you will get a lot of boat for your money
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Boatmonkey-

Please don't go around reviving dead threads. It is considered somewhat poor manners to do so. This one was almost four years old..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.