Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012

97fxdwg is on a distinguished road
Blue-water Boat w/ V-Berth Cabin?

Hi Y'all - We're selling our present boat, a racer-cruiser, and moving up to our liveaboard. The search is on, but we have recently realized that we like sleeping in the v-berth as it gives us a better feel for how the boat is doing at anchor, plus we don't have to smell even the least wiff of the engine (she gets migraines from it and I'd rather not smell it either).

However ----- I'm tall and not as flexible as I once was - shocking, no? But I do have a plan, the head of the v-berth needs to go about 2' - 3' aft of where it "normally" is, allowing for a wider foot area, and I would also put a small step on the sides to allow side access rather than climbing over the head of the bed to turn around, blah, blah, blah. Make sense? Also, we want a 38' - 44' boat with only one head. Both of those details could be addressed by our tearing things apart and reconstructing, and that may be how we go about it, but has anyone ever found a boat with these aspects?

Ketch or sloop, $100k, aft cockpit, 6' draft, full or near full-keel, blue-water sailor, workspace below, smaller salon, couple-friendly. I realize this is a very loose list of needs, but we're just looking for ideas.

Thanks-

Last edited by 97fxdwg; 02-24-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post
Hi Y'all - We're selling our present boat, a racer-cruiser, and moving up to our liveaboard. The search is on, but we have recently realized that we like sleeping in the v-berth as it gives us a better feel for how the boat is doing at anchor, plus we don't have to smell even the least wiff of the engine (she gets migraines from it and I'd rather not smell it either).

However ----- I'm tall and not as flexible as I once was - shocking, no? But I do have a plan, the head of the v-berth needs to go about 2' - 3' aft of where it "normally" is, allowing for a wider foot area, and I would also put a small step on the sides to allow side access rather than climbing over the head of the bed to turn around, blah, blah, blah. Make sense? Also, we want a 38' - 44' boat with only one head. Both of those details could be addressed by our tearing things apart and reconstructing, and that may be how we go about it, but has anyone ever found a boat with these aspects?

Ketch or sloop, $100k, aft cockpit, 6' draft, full or near full-keel, blue-water sailor, workspace below, smaller salon, couple-friendly. I realize this is a very loose list of needs, but we're just looking for ideas.

Thanks-
I've been doing some looking around also and a few boats I've seen have pullman berths as a layout option. I've not actually seen one but I like their looks in the line drawings and photos I've seen. The Hans Christian 38' and Tayana 42' have pullman versions. Good luck with the search.
Old 02-24-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Get yourself a set of Mauch's sailboat guides. read them they have 1000's of boats to review. the set has 5 books for only $130.00

Mauch's Sailboat Guide

Last edited by neverknow; 02-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you might want to look for a boat with a centerline queen. Or the pullman as mentioned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post

Thanks-
Catalina 42 has a very nice pullman cabin with a big head in the usual V berth area. Great layout for liveaboard. I'm sure there will be lots of responses saying "not suitable for offshore" but that is your decision to make.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-24-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Check out the Caliber 40. Pullman berth and blue water capable.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Check out the Caliber 40. Pullman berth and blue water capable.
For +50% to +150% more than he wants to spend.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-25-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
For +50% to +150% more than he wants to spend.
Early 90s Caliber 40s can be had for about $100k.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-25-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
CSY 44 walkthru deep draft ticks most of the boxes. At least one that I know off has had one of the heads removed. I agree that having two heads on a cruising boat is not essential. Mind you it is nice when a head fails to have a backup.
Old 02-25-2012
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
V-berths are usless as sea berths n anything but calm seas. For off-shore sailing you will want berths low and close to the center of the boat or mast as possible. A pullman close to the mast forward or a centerline berth aft are best.