SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Time to delete "Local boat buying assistance"?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  RobGallagher 
#1 ·
I wonder how few people who "volunteered" and are listed on that sticky would actually do what they claimed. I had a recent experience that suggests that the offers can be very hollow even when made by an active member who said that he would look and gave a time. Maybe at the least there should be some heavy editing. I have one suggestion for deletion.

Have you also been disappointed?

#4 ·
I looked at a couple different boats in my general area for someone a couple of years ago. Took pictures, emailed them to him, then gave him my impressions of the boats over the phone while we were both looking at the same pictures. It was an enjoyable experience (for me, anyway ;))

#5 ·
I've looked at a couple of boats, did the picture thing and all, for two different members, one currently active here (he bought a different boat, and that's fine..) It was not any sort of inconvenience and like Izzy I was happy to do it.

Though these episodes arose from SN I'm not sure that the assistance thread was involved. What needs to happen is a compiled list by area that gets posted and made a sticky, rather than having to wade through all those posts to find the one you need. Any volunteers?? ;):cool:

#6 ·
I asked someone to look over a boat for me that was 1500 miles away. It took a while for the owner and the "inspector" to meet up, but the analysis was so thorough - including camera shots AND video - I was astonished. The process saved me much time and money. I withdrew my interest in the boat a bit because of its condition but moreso because the logistics of getting it home in its unseaworthy state could have become a major headache. Several months have passed by and I still feel guilty, as I know I owe Kyle a big favor and have yet to make good on it.

In other words, I hope this sticky remains in place.

#7 ·
I looked at an Allied Seawind ketch for a guy but not because of the "Local boat buying assistance" thread. I insinuated myself into a thread he had going and offered a local inspection. The potential buyer was a Scotsman who lives in Chile and got a pretty nice deal in an estate sale of the boat. I took pictures and gave impressions that I shared and met the surveyor.
When the Chilean speaking Scots ex-pat came up to sail his boat away I got my first sail on a nice ketch down into NY Harbor. The other crew member was a Ukrainian guy from Canada who also met the buyer through SN and helped him with prep work.
We pulled into the 79th Street boat basin and the hispanic harbor master got his panties in a wad that we had taken a slip without authorization. Boy, was he surprised when this lily white Scotsman spoke to him in perfect S. American Spanish. They became friends. I took the subway home.
Can't make up stuff like this.

#10 ·
I Think it's a good idea and should be used more often.

I just spent 500 bucks on transportation and hotel to go look at an average priced boat that was poorly maintained, had a binding rudder and the 150% jib in the listing did not exist. I should have posted here first... :D

I did get one person ask me to look for them, sort of last minute as I was in Annapolis looking at a boat for myself. I just didn't have the time or I most certainly would have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.