Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CalebD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012

SPC is on a distinguished road
Time to delete "Local boat buying assistance"?

I wonder how few people who "volunteered" and are listed on that sticky would actually do what they claimed. I had a recent experience that suggests that the offers can be very hollow even when made by an active member who said that he would look and gave a time. Maybe at the least there should be some heavy editing. I have one suggestion for deletion.

Have you also been disappointed?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Nobody has ever asked me to look at a boat. I feel ignored.

I have asked a member on the list to look at a boat for me and he went above and beyond, firing me over 75 detailed pictures along with his impressions of the boat, the broker and other boats in the area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-24-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I've looked at boats for two different people.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 02-24-2012
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
I looked at a couple different boats in my general area for someone a couple of years ago. Took pictures, emailed them to him, then gave him my impressions of the boats over the phone while we were both looking at the same pictures. It was an enjoyable experience (for me, anyway )

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 02-24-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I've looked at a couple of boats, did the picture thing and all, for two different members, one currently active here (he bought a different boat, and that's fine..) It was not any sort of inconvenience and like Izzy I was happy to do it.

Though these episodes arose from SN I'm not sure that the assistance thread was involved. What needs to happen is a compiled list by area that gets posted and made a sticky, rather than having to wade through all those posts to find the one you need. Any volunteers??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-24-2012

Michael K is on a distinguished road
I asked someone to look over a boat for me that was 1500 miles away. It took a while for the owner and the "inspector" to meet up, but the analysis was so thorough - including camera shots AND video - I was astonished. The process saved me much time and money. I withdrew my interest in the boat a bit because of its condition but moreso because the logistics of getting it home in its unseaworthy state could have become a major headache. Several months have passed by and I still feel guilty, as I know I owe Kyle a big favor and have yet to make good on it.

In other words, I hope this sticky remains in place.
Old 02-24-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I looked at an Allied Seawind ketch for a guy but not because of the "Local boat buying assistance" thread. I insinuated myself into a thread he had going and offered a local inspection. The potential buyer was a Scotsman who lives in Chile and got a pretty nice deal in an estate sale of the boat. I took pictures and gave impressions that I shared and met the surveyor.
When the Chilean speaking Scots ex-pat came up to sail his boat away I got my first sail on a nice ketch down into NY Harbor. The other crew member was a Ukrainian guy from Canada who also met the buyer through SN and helped him with prep work.
We pulled into the 79th Street boat basin and the hispanic harbor master got his panties in a wad that we had taken a slip without authorization. Boy, was he surprised when this lily white Scotsman spoke to him in perfect S. American Spanish. They became friends. I took the subway home.
Can't make up stuff like this.
F15EWSO and jameso like this.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-25-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I looked at an Allied Seawind ketch for a guy but not because of the "Local boat buying assistance" thread. I insinuated myself into a thread he had going and offered a local inspection. The potential buyer was a Scotsman who lives in Chile and got a pretty nice deal in an estate sale of the boat. I took pictures and gave impressions that I shared and met the surveyor.
When the Chilean speaking Scots ex-pat came up to sail his boat away I got my first sail on a nice ketch down into NY Harbor. The other crew member was a Ukrainian guy from Canada who also met the buyer through SN and helped him with prep work.
We pulled into the 79th Street boat basin and the hispanic harbor master got his panties in a wad that we had taken a slip without authorization. Boy, was he surprised when this lily white Scotsman spoke to him in perfect S. American Spanish. They became friends. I took the subway home.
Can't make up stuff like this.

uhhhh....? I think I have the story straight, had to get google maps out to keep up and YES you can't make something like that up...too funny.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Old 02-28-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Yes, delete this dumb idea. What a waste!
Old 02-28-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
I Think it's a good idea and should be used more often.

I just spent 500 bucks on transportation and hotel to go look at an average priced boat that was poorly maintained, had a binding rudder and the 150% jib in the listing did not exist. I should have posted here first...

I did get one person ask me to look for them, sort of last minute as I was in Annapolis looking at a boat for myself. I just didn't have the time or I most certainly would have.