Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Morris Yachts Unveils Civilian 44-Footer

Morris Yachts, which was selected by the U.S. Coast Guard to build eight 44’ sailboats for the Coast Guard Academy’s Cadet leadership training program, has unveiled its “civilian” version of the David Pedrick-designed sail-training sloop. Two of the new yachts are currently available.

Morris Yachts Unveils Civilian 44-Footer | BoatingLocal.com

Morris Yachts Builder of Coast Guard Academy's Leadership 44 Training Vessel | Morris Yachts - Boat Builder of Daysailers and Semi-Custom Yachts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Interesting boat although I think they still need work for the 'civilian' version. The shoal draft has to work - 8.7 feet does not cut it. Also the tankage is pretty small for a serious cruising boat.
Old 02-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Will it cost less than 7 figures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-29-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road
I'm not believing for so much as a fraction of a second that sailing a Morris is going to make the Coast Guard any better at what they do.

Why not give 'em ballet lessons so they'll be a little more graceful on deck, etc. etc.

Guvment!!!
Old 02-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I'm not believing for so much as a fraction of a second that sailing a Morris is going to make the Coast Guard any better at what they do.

Why not give 'em ballet lessons so they'll be a little more graceful on deck, etc. etc. Guvment!!!
Actually, the sailboats are used to develop teamwork and leadership qualities in the trainee officers. Since they enter their boats in such events as the Bermuda race, they can face some testing conditions. It also gets them a LOT closer to the water than they are likely to get on the usual CG ships. Remember that sailing dinghies makes you a better sailor than sailing keelboats? Much the same idea. IIRC, the last time they bought a new fleet of sailboats for the academy was about 30 years ago. I imagine that pro-rated per officer trained, they cost very little. They're probably pretty good for morale too.
jameso likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-28-2013

CSTP OIC is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Morris Yachts Unveils Civilian 44-Footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

Why not give 'em ballet lessons so they'll be a little more graceful on deck, etc. etc.

Guvment!!!

The 'Guvment' would never spend that kind of money on sailboats!!! All of the funding for paying Morris came from the Alumni association at the CGA; a major accomplishment and a true testament to how valuable the program is considered to be.

Morris was chosen for its reputation, the ability to deliver 8 standardized boats, the quality and durability they promised to deliver, and their warranty and delivery commitment. I have not had a single cadet know who David Pedrick is or who Morris yachts is; they are there to sail, with no preconceived notions to obstruct their experience. It's an incredible program.

With a 9-foot draft, there's a whole bunch of places we can't go, but we get a lot better ports and make our way further from the academy as a result.

The experience of learning to plan, stock for, and sail a two week trip with no prior experience or assistance (only interference in unsafe conditions) is precisely the type of experience that equips them to handle stepping on board a vessel that is sinking 100's of miles off shore (as it did me)... and leave it afloat, with crew and vessel intact, homeward bound.

Here's a link that will help refute your unfounded assumptions (remove spaces):
http: //lmgtfy. com /?q=Who+paid+for+the+leadership+44
Old 03-28-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Morris Yachts Unveils Civilian 44-Footer

I love the classic Morris but this one is not as nice at least to my eyes and the design seems a bit old.

Old 03-28-2013

cutterdog is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Morris Yachts Unveils Civilian 44-Footer

CTSP, Thank you for your clarification of funding and training benefit.