Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012

Alfalotus44 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hunter 45ds vs Moody 45 ac

Thank you all for your response.
I didn't want to create a debate, but that's what forums are for, I guess.

I love the interior of the Hunter 45DS, Classic look and rear master bedroom.
I hate the exterior. And really not sure of its bluewater capacities.
I was glad to find the Moody, classic look and modern enginneering. (But am affraid that 300K won't be enough).
Amel, Mason or Centurion are too old for my taste.
I new, Paulo would offer the Dehler 45 as a choice. Since he already offer me the Dehler 41 in another post. But I really don't want a boat with IKEA office look interior. So, no Jeanneaus, Beneteaus etc...
The Catalina 445, good choice, one of the rare model who taught of a small workroom ( don't you need a space to fix things?)
Am not a sailor, and you are right, I have talk to more salesman than sailors. But I did read a lot. Tomorrow night I am attending a conference from a coupple that just finished their world tour. And this summer we are already invited from different sailboat owners on the lake Champlain. I plan to saill as much as I can for the next two years, than buy my boat, practice in the Saint Laurence river , sail down to the bahamas, and than sell the house and ciao bello! I forgot to mention that we have 5 kids. ( Don't worry they won't comes with us), but they will brobably from time to time join us somewhere on our trip. And you are right 4 years is quick to come. And my 4 years world tour is just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalotus44 View Post
I was glad to find the Moody, classic look and modern enginneering. (But am affraid that 300K won't be enough).
I new, Paulo would offer the Dehler 45 as a choice. Since he already offer me the Dehler 41 in another post. But I really don't want a boat with IKEA office look interior. So, no Jeanneaus, Beneteaus etc...
I plan to saill as much as I can for the next two years, than buy my boat, practice in the Saint Laurence river , sail down to the bahamas, and than sell the house and ciao bello! I forgot to mention that we have 5 kids. ... And my 4 years world tour is just a suggestion.
Interesting So you think this is Ikea Style?

Go to 360ļ picture on the link below)

Dehler Yachts

Well the last time (2 years ago) I was inside a Dehler 45 the interior looked pretty god to me, considering that is a 400000k boat.

Now Dehler is made by Hanse (like the Moody) and even if they tried to make it cheap on the 41, trying to bring prices down I don't believe they do the same on the 45 that is pointed to another segment, one that wants more than a good and fast boat but also that demands a first rate interior.

The quality of sailboat interiors is directly related with price. You can like more on style than another, but you pay what you get.

You are right about prices, the Moody will cost around 400000K and for the 300000K you will be limited to Bavaria, Hanse, Jeanneau or Hunter. Probably even the Catalina is more expensive. Don’t forget that if you want a boat to sail to far places the boat can cost 40% more in extras.

That idea of practicing in the river before heading to the Ocean is plain crazy.

If you can, take some courses of sailing, charter some boats and have more courses of advancing sailing, the kind they will take you in winter with bad weather in a sailboat. When you reach this point you will understand better the priorities in what regards the choice of a sailboat, at least in what the sea is concerned.

A good plan will be also to book for next year a trip to the Dusseldorf boat show, the place were you can see more sailboats and compare the interiors.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2012

scottbr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you all for your response.
I didn't want to create a debate, but that's what forums are for, I guess.

I love the interior of the Hunter 45DS, Classic look and rear master bedroom.
I hate the exterior. And really not sure of its bluewater capacities.
Amel, Mason or Centurion are too old for my taste.
The Catalina 445, good choice, one of the rare model who taught of a small workroom ( don't you need a space to fix things?)
Am not a sailor, and you are right, I have talk to more salesman than sailors. But I did read a lot. Tomorrow night I am attending a conference from a coupple that just finished their world tour. And this summer we are already invited from different sailboat owners on the lake Champlain. I plan to saill as much as I can for the next two years, than buy my boat, practice in the Saint Laurence river , sail down to the bahamas, and than sell the house and ciao bello! I forgot to mention that we have 5 kids. ( Don't worry they won't comes with us), but they will brobably from time to time join us somewhere on our trip. And you are right 4 years is quick to come. And my 4 years world tour is just a suggestion.

Ask Michael on Sequitur Hunter 49 if he thinks the Hunters are ocean capable.

He just finished 8 days with up to 45 knot winds and 8 metre seas from the Falklands to Uruguay. He posts links to his blog on here whenever he manages to get internet connections.
Old 03-06-2012

I guess I touched a sensible point, Ikea style was more for the Benes and Jeanneau. I could had said more like :modern office furniture. The Dehler 45 is a nice boat, no discussion, but like you said, while adding some equipment I will get close to half a million.Moody seems to be quite unknom. I love english desing, (no wonder I race a Lotus). I taugh it was more like a Aston Martin built by Ford. ( Built with style, with tipical british issue.)The Dehler is a true Porsche, sharp, fast and bullet proof. But I drive the Aston.
Take a look at this Moody:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=75788&url=

About the river: The St Lawrence is one of the biggest river, more than 3000kl long, up to 300kl large and is salty from Quebec city all the way to the ocean with hi tide. The current is very strong and whale encounter are not rare. Some says that: if you can sail this river, you can sail anywhere.

By the way: I already book some sailing courses.
And yes, I will be at the Dusseldorf show next year, january 19th to the 27th.

Funny, it took me about three weeks to buy my house, around the same for a car, but a sailboat... Am anxious to see what I will end up with!
Old 03-06-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I guess I touched a sensible point, Ikea style was more for the Benes and Jeanneau. I could had said more like :modern office furniture. The Dehler 45 is a nice boat, no discussion, but like you said, while adding some equipment I will get close to half a million.Moody seems to be quite unknom. I love english desing, (no wonder I race a Lotus). I taugh it was more like a Aston Martin built by Ford. ( Built with style, with tipical british issue.)The Dehler is a true Porsche, sharp, fast and bullet proof. But I drive the Aston.
Take a look at this Moody:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=75788&url=

About the river: The St Lawrence is one of the biggest river, more than 3000kl long, up to 300kl large and is salty from Quebec city all the way to the ocean with hi tide. The current is very strong and whale encounter are not rare. Some says that: if you can sail this river, you can sail anywhere.

By the way: I already book some sailing courses.
And yes, I will be at the Dusseldorf show next year, january 19th to the 27th.

Funny, it took me about three weeks to buy my house, around the same for a car, but a sailboat... Am anxious to see what I will end up with!
Yes, I understand exactly what you mean. I have passed the last 10 years learning about boats and sailing to be able to choose the right boat for me

I also understand what you mean about the Moody and the Dehler but even if I find the Moody a great boat and for what I have read surprisingly fast, it is not a match for the Dehler, or putting in another way they are not the same type of boat: Like a Porsche Panamera, the Dehler, the Moody is not like an Aston, more like a Ford Mondeo with an Aston interior

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-06-2012

By the way Paulo, did you know that the engine in the Aston Martin DB7 and up are from 2-V6 of Ford Mondeo. What a coincidence! (unless you knew)

I will consider the Dehler 45 and the Catalina 445, I will keep the Moody in mind and probably forget about the Hunter.
Now if the ice can melt, I will go sailing and let you know my thoughts.
I will then probably arrive with other models to consider, like the new Hallberg-Rassy 412, but that's another story.

Thank you

Andre
Old 03-06-2012
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

if you do a bunch of internet "research" all you are going to do is end up believing that the Hunter is a piece of crap. I know that is what I "learned" 4 years ago when I got my first boat. In the end all that research did was cost me $20k in selling the first boat and getting the boat I wanted to start with.

As an owner of a 2001 Hunter 410 I can say in the 40'+ boats that Hunter makes are good a boat of anyone unless you are/can spend 3 times as much (better than the higher end boat I got the first time). What you lose is some interior fit out (not finish) so have less lockers. I would take my Hunter anywhere I would take a non-metal boat!

And if you get the Hunter your budget will allow for more "stuff and toys" that provide enjoyment to you 99% of the time instead of wishing you have that stuff 99% of the time. And all you give up is the 0.01% chance that you are going to get caught in the perfect storm because you were stupid enough to chose to go out in that weather.

Cruising is a LOT more than sailing. Get a boat that is going to be comfortable/enjoyable for the 99% of the time you will be using it instead of the 1% fear!
Old 03-06-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Earth to dreamer. $300k might get you half of that Hallberg Rassey. I would suggest getting a lot more time aboard on some long charters somewhere other than Lake Champlain to make sure you and your wife won't kill each other after a month before you pull up stakes and sell the farm.
Jim
PCP and JimMcGee like this.

Last edited by jimrafford; 03-06-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2012

scottbr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
and probably forget about the Hunter.
Andre

Why? Hunter at least stacks up against Catalina.
Old 03-07-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

You mentioned that you liked the aft cabin with the island queen a la Hunter.

I have been offshore in two boats with this layout. The aft island queen is useless underway with any amount of heel. You would need to replace the mattress with twin mattresses, and put a lee cloth down the middle of the berth. You might also put lee clothes along each edge. I know that that will work.

Also any boat with a pullman berth requires a lee cloth as well. So do the saloon berths.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 03-07-2012 at 12:55 AM.