Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012

Alfalotus44 is on a distinguished road
Hunter 45ds vs Moody 45 ac

My wife and I are planning to sail the world, leaving in about 4 years for about 4 years. Like many of you, new in the sailing world, we went to visit a few boatshows and talked to different sailors. I found out that there is no such thing as a perfect sailboat and that compromise is the key to choose a sailboat. My wife want a secure boat and a galley in a L shape. That eliminate a lot of sailboat. (And its a good thing because I won't have to buy the new Oyster 625). Am looking for new or lightly use confortable sailboat, strong, easy to sail with in mast furling, dual wheel, electric... and without a mainsheet anchor point on the floor. (That eliminate a lot of cruiser racer). But I want a boat that moves well. For 2011 model, for around 300K, we have lower the list to 2 sailboats; The Hunter 45 DS and the Moody 45 AC.

At that price I will have to buy the Moody in Europe, without much option and it comes with 220v.
For the same price I could buy the Hunter from a broker not far from home, with lots of equipment, Air con, bow truster, freezer etc
Does anyone have any knowledge of these sailboats? Please share.
Andre
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Hunter 45ds vs Moody 45 ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalotus44 View Post
.... and without a mainsheet anchor point on the floor. (That eliminate a lot of cruiser racer). But I want a boat that moves well. For 2011 model, for around 300K, we have lower the list to 2 sailboats; The Hunter 45 DS and the Moody 45 AC.

At that price I will have to buy the Moody in Europe, without much option and it comes with 220v.
For the same price I could buy the Hunter from a broker not far from home, with lots of equipment, Air con, bow truster, freezer etc
Does anyone have any knowledge of these sailboats? Please share.
Andre
Regarding the mainsheet anchor point on the floor you have just to ask to be moved to over the cabin. Everybody will be happy to do that for you just to sell you the boat

Regarding the two boats you mention, asside from taste (the 45ds looks ugly to me) there are some diferences between the boats:

The Hunter 45ds weights 10 404Kg has a Ballast of 3 283Kg (B/D 0,315) a beam of 4.40m and has a sail area of 98,37m2

The Moody 45 AC weights 12 200 kg has a Ballast of 3 350kg (B/D 0,275) a beam of 4.20m and has a sail area of 112m2.

The Moddy is considerably heavier and that will make it a more stable boat. It has less B/D but that is probably not meaningful since the boat has more draft and a modern steel/lead keel to lower the CG. The Moody has a more modern hull, less beam, is more elegant and I will bet it will be faster. The boat has also less considerable windage than the 45DS.

The Moody is more on the Tartan class than in the Hunter class.

If you will consider a Hunter why not a Catalina 445 that seems a more modern boat to me?

Regards

Paulo
Faster and jameswilson29 like this.
Old 03-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Yes, at that budget I'd definitely give the Catalina a good look (in comparison to your 'short list') but of the three I'd speculate that only the Moody would be instinctively judged worthy of world cruising by most.

That said, as has been discussed at length repeatedly, it's as much about the crew and the luck of the draw weather-wise sometimes.....

I'd concentrate on honing your skills and adding to your experience (which you haven't shared other than to say you're 'new to the world of sailing'...) Four years will be gone in a flash....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-05-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

For those funds, ie 300K or so, there is a std cockpit Jeanneau SO49p ready to continue sailing the world as it did for the current owner from a trip in the NW US to Oz and back! Jeanneau and Beneteau also make DS models with in the budget you are looking at, altho not positive the galley is "L" shaped as you are wanting.
I was on a Waquiez(sp?) Centurion 40s over the weekend, nice boat, very fast, it had an L shaped galley too. Not sure it is made any more, but I am sure used would not be hard to find. I would also add, very stiff for the winds we were in, probably due to it having the deeper 7+' keel too! We finished 2nd in a major local race against many other all out racers/racer cruiser style boats with equal ratings.

Marty
Old 03-05-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

For that sort of money you can get an AMEL super / Maramu/ Mango which is a much more seaworthy and much more practical boat.

A true blue water boat tried and tested in multiple circumnavigations.
jimrafford likes this.
Old 03-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Or a Mason 44 which is a stout boat

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-06-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalotus44 View Post
Like many of you, new in the sailing world, we went to visit a few boatshows and talked to different [sailors] SALESMEN. I found out that there is no such thing as a perfect sailboat and that compromise is the key to choose a sailboat.
There, I corrected your post for you.

You have a particular purpose in mind so compromise is not the key to choose your boat. You need a bluewater cruiser. It is clear from your post that you do not know enough about sailing and sailboats to choose a boat at this point. A boatshow should not be your primary source of information, as boat salesmen are notoriously full of sh!t and the boats on display are typically high production models. You have a lot of reading to do. You might start here about selecting a boat for offshore cruising: Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

It's good that you are seeking advice on this forum so you do not make an expensive mistake due to inexperience and bad advice.
Old 03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I was on a Waquiez(sp?) Centurion 40s over the weekend, nice boat, very fast, it had an L shaped galley too. Not sure it is made any more, but I am sure used would not be hard to find. I would also add, very stiff for the winds we were in, probably due to it having the deeper 7+' keel too! We finished 2nd in a major local race against many other all out racers/racer cruiser style boats with equal ratings.

Marty
I have been saying on this forum that is a very good sailboat one of the best you can find on the used market. Glade you could confirm that by sailing the boat

Yes, they still make the boat, now with a two wheel setup and an open transom. They used to make also a Centurion 45 but they have stopped production some years back.

Has Faster say, there are some boats that are better than others for offshore work but any modern 45ft can do it, it is more to the way the boat is equipped and to the skipper experience than anything else.

However, in the range of Moody 45 price, I would prefer to all those boats a Dehler 45. Yes it is one of those that come standard with a back traveler but that can have an over the cockpit traveler. It is a boat with a huge stability, a soft wave passage and is way faster than any of the other boats the OP has considered. It has also a great interior. It comes standard with a low tankage but I am sure that it has space for a lot more.

Dehler Yachts

Dehler 45 from UNO Yachting Ltd on Vimeo.

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-06-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Dehler ????

They want a world cruising yacht. There is nothing more redundant on a cruiser than two wheels. [ OK maybe a wheel barrow ]

have a look where Mr Amel puts the wheel and if you don't see why you have never made a serious passage.
Old 03-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Dehler ????

They want a world cruising yacht. There is nothing more redundant on a cruiser than two wheels. [ OK maybe a wheel barrow ]

have a look where Mr Amel puts the wheel and if you don't see why you have never made a serious passage.
I am not going to discuss here the advantages of a dual wheel setup in a modern boat (with a large transom) above 38ft. They are many and I have already discussed them elsewhere.

Regarding the wheel position they are in the same position as in the Moody 45 (also a two wheel set-up) and the Hunter 45Ds. They are also on the same position where are the wheels of most sailboats, including bluewater boats like the Malo, Najad or Morris. Do you think they have not thought about the pros and cons of having it on any other side?

Amel is a very particular boat, yes a good voyage boat but certainly not the only way to look at a voyage boat. They are certainly not fast boats (even the Hunter is faster) and a 45ft Amel is something that does not exist at least for 20 years: Their line starts at 55ft and they are very expensive boats.

The last 45ft was the Amel Maramu, a boat designed in 1976:

Amel Maramu 46 Review: Elegant World Cruiser - Waves « Jordan Yacht Brokerage

The boat that followed, the Super Maramu is a 52ft boat and even a boat with 20 years cost about 300000K and it will need probably 30 or 40% more to put it in condition to world travel.

Amel maramu Boats For Sale

I understood that the OP wanted : looking for new or lightly use confortable sailboat, strong, easy to sail with in mast furling, dual wheel, ... But I want a boat that moves well. For 2011 model, for around 300K..

Not a 20 year old used sailboat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-06-2012 at 10:56 AM.