Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012

ChuckBuck is on a distinguished road
What boats depreciate the least

Hoping to generate some 'friendly' discussion with this topic.

What boats depreciate the least (or less than others)? Assuming similar upgrades / condition etc.

I ask because I've now been approved for a loan - one small step forward. And as I'm now into a new price bracket, I want to ensure that I buy something that will hold its value reasonably well.

This will be my 5th sailboat, and I've managed to minimize losses on my 4 previous boats (good care, smart upgrades etc) and sell them for what I bought them for. Now that I'm in a new price bracket, the last thing I want to do is buy something, put good money in upgrades, maintenance etc, only to find out 10 years down the road she's worth 1/3 of what I bought her for.

Again, I'm hoping to spark some interesting perspectives here - I know there is no one 'good' boat nor one 'bad' boat.

Any and all perspectives are welcome.

CB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012

Tafa is on a distinguished road
Re: What boats depreciate the least

I guess the most expensive ones... like Swan, Najad, Oyster, Halberg Rassy depreciate least.

Tafa
Old 03-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I suspect you are asking for a make/model answer, which is pretty tough. The condition you keep her in (read that as how much you spend on her while you own her), will be a huge variable. Will she be kept bristol or run hard and put away wet? Have sails, rigging, electronics, and broken pieces/parts been replaced with new on schedule or is duct tape the most used tool aboard?

The best I can do is some generic advice. Boats initial depreciation curve is the first 5 to maybe 7 years of its life then they level out for a while. To hold value, demand has to equal supply, which is very hard these days. I suppose a boat that wasn't made in huge volume, but became popular would be what you are asking for. However, that answer is going to vary greatly by region.

I wish I could be of more assistance, but this would be my final advice. Don't get too hung up on this issue alone. The boat you are going to take best care of, is the one you love. it has to be able to accommodate you and your family or friends on the journeys you plan. Be sure you pay a fair price for her, sail her and keep her in top condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
I guess the most expensive ones... like Swan, Najad, Oyster, Halberg Rassy depreciate least.

Tafa
Those bring up an interesting thought. Very high end boats, let's say floating in the seven figure range, are often owned by people who just write checks for them. They can appear to hold value, because they just keep them until they get the price they want from someone who has had one too many martinis at the club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-09-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

The boat that will depreciate the least...is one that is already fully depreciated.

Since you plan to finance your purchase, I advise you to be very careful about buying a boat that will meet most underwriting guidelines as collateral for the next purchaser - that may mean less than 30 years old. If you buy on the cusp of eligibility, for example, a boat that is 29 years old, which no longer meets underwriting guidelines as collateral for most lenders, you may see a steep drop off in value.
Old 03-09-2012

zeta is on a distinguished road

The one you don't buy
Old 03-09-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Maybe this is too personal a question but it matters to the quality of the advise.
What price bracket are we discussing? The rules will be different for 50k 100k 500k 4.6M
Old 03-09-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

That's kind of like asking what poop smells the best. It's all pretty rank.

Any boat is a lousy investment. And looking at depreciation as a percentage won't work. Let's say all boats depreciate 40% after 8years. Do you want to suffer the depreciation of a 100,000 dollar low end boat or a 300,000 high end boat. $40,000 or $120,000? Even if the high end boat only depreciates 30% over eight years, it's still $90,000.

You see the same question being argued back and forth on guitars (high end vs. low end), and motorcycles (Harley vs. Kawasaki). People get hung up on the percentage and tend to argue for less depreciation on the high end item.

When I bought my boat I had a definite criteria based on my own experience, but depreciation did not appear on the list.
davidpm likes this.
Old 03-09-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When I bought my boat I had a definite criteria based on my own experience, but depreciation did not appear on the list.
Probably b/c boats in a given price range will all depreciate at a similar rate, and that operating cost will overcome depreciation at some point. Therefore, it becomes less of a concern... although that is easy for me to say since I can pay cash for the boat in my price range.
Old 03-09-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Beautiful old ones.
MarkSF likes this.