Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012

MishaB is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MishaB
Hunter 28.5 1985 buy or not to buy

Hi, Iím new to sailing planning to buy Hunter 28.5 1985. I will see it coming Sunday. I have seen review on 29.5 but nothing 28.5. So far I have seen these comments:
Ö Hunter 28.5 not designed, or pretends to be, bluewater boat. Flirting with a Hunter 28.5Ö I have been really impressed with just how fast the Hunter 28.5 will accelerate when light winds puff up just a bit. But if you are going upwind against a nasty chop, this boat will certainly pound... All of the people I know whoíve owned this boat (and sail it in ways for which it was designed) rate it quite highly. There is an article ďFlirting with a Hunter 28.5,Ē I canít find online.

Iím planning to shuttle from Boston to Miami and back. Thinking, will take two weeks. In Miami, I'm planning to live on boat. I'm 5'10" tall. Assuming itís not in a bluewater, what problem in a boat, besides normal wear and tear, should I look for? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Hunter 28.5 1985 buy or not to buy

Boat Review* by David Pascoe - Hunter 28

To each their own.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-15-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

THere is one of these in my marina. Overall, reasonably quick. Not sure I would want "THIS" sized boat be it a Hunter, or my Jeanneau of the same basic dimension's to live on for a few months of the year. But it could be doable. I do know of one person living year around and has been with the same model as mine. I do not have hot water/shower, where as the Hunter does.

I would think this boat would manage going N and S on the ICW. I know of a 37' that the owner has had since new, been from the PNW to mexico and back 3-4 times. I want to say 2 times on its own, the other two for various and sundry reason, mostly age and time contraints they trucked it to and from. I also know of a 54' on that went to and from on its hull too. Not sure I would do so on this coast with a 28' version.

I also know of very few that own Hunters that do not generally speaking like them. With that in mind, do as you wish, and enjoy which ever brand and size you buy with in your budget.

Marty
Old 03-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaB View Post
Hi, Iím new to sailing planning to buy Hunter 28.5 1985. ........
Iím planning to shuttle from Boston to Miami and back. Thinking, will take two weeks. ......
Do you mean you're planning to go from Boston to Miami on the boat? and back in 2 weeks?

Despite Pascoe's semi-infamous review I think that Hunters can do the coastal cruising duty well enough as long as, as with any boat, it's been maintained and looked after. I quite like the styling of the 80s/90s Legend series', not so much the later ones, but that's a personal subjective thing.

So if you like the look, the feel, and the cockpit/deck setup, and the price is right, and the survey turns up no red flags, go for it.. but there are plenty of other boats that would fill the bill just as well or better.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-15-2012

MishaB is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MishaB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Do you mean you're planning to go from Boston to Miami on the boat? and back in 2 weeks?

Despite Pascoe's semi-infamous review I think that Hunters can do the coastal cruising duty well enough as long as, as with any boat, it's been maintained and looked after. I quite like the styling of the 80s/90s Legend series', not so much the later ones, but that's a personal subjective thing.

So if you like the look, the feel, and the cockpit/deck setup, and the price is right, and the survey turns up no red flags, go for it.. but there are plenty of other boats that would fill the bill just as well or better.
Thank you both of you, for the advices. I mean 2 weeks one way. Iím planning to spend max $20k on the boat, but I have to live on board for at least 5 months (in Florida) between the voyages. If not the h28.5 what would you recommend in this price range? Iím handy with houses, work with computers and can dig out information, but obviously, did not work with boats. I would like something to be able to use right the way and work on improvements slowly. Iím taken classes now and want to put new knowledge to work ASAP.
Old 03-15-2012

Tanley is on a distinguished road

If looking for a 28', my biased advice would be a 1986-1989 Cal 28-2. Watch Craig's List as there was an owner on the Cape with one in seemingly good shape within your budget. There are a couple for sale in NY, check out sailboat listings.com and yachtworld.

However, at a budget of $20K and this market, you're options are plentiful for newer and/or larger vessels.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaB View Post
...... If not the h28.5 what would you recommend in this price range? ......
Here's a YW search for the US Northeast with for $16000 cap, 1980-1990 to leave you some spending money...

1980 (Sail) Cruiser/Racer Boats For Sale

Quite frankly the Catalina 30 is hard to beat for the money for a decent cruiser, esp with liveaboard plans.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Looking at Fasters list, the Cat 30 is probably the best boat for the size etc, if you can find a clean one. other brands I would look at include the Sabre, Ericson, Islander, Pearson except the "flyer" ie a flat deck not a lot of room down below to live on/in, O'Day. All boats above 28'. Some of the 27's might work. The boat brand list is not in any kind of order. Like all things that are this old, buy the cleanest one you can for the buck. It could also be worth looking at boats up to say 20-22K list, and possibly negotiate your way down to say 20K. This might open up a few more options in this size and price range.

The Jeanneau Fantasia good wood work inside etc, I have an Arcadia from that time frame. overall well built, but they do have some issues if it has not been fixed of the foam back hull liner being rotted, and falling off. Not hard to fix, but a pain. I've done it! Otherwise, most reviews from that time frame are positive.

Jeanneau, like O'Day, Catalina, and Ericson have a reasonably large'ish owners forums available to get info. Islander is hit and miss right now, there was a good site, it went down, someone was trying to get the info from that person, and get it back up online.

Not sure about Sabre, Pearson or J-boat. J-boat "should" have something, but not sure. The 29's you see are outboard versions of the J30, the 29 is more race than cruise frankly. A 30 has some ability to race, but like a lot of older J's, many have been raced hard and put away wet!

marty
Old 03-16-2012

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road

You have got some confusing information here. The 28 mentioned in the review is not the 28.5 which is an entirely different boat. There is a Hunter 28.5 forum with more info on the boat. Hunter 28.5
The price seems a little steep at $20K. Depending on the condition price should be between 12 and 18 K. I would imagine a boat in Miami would have the usual salt water and sun ageing conditions.

2 weeks from Miami to New York on the ICW is a little tight. Since you are only running in daylight that means about 100/mi day which probably is not realistic at 6knot motoring speed, waits for bridges etc. Obviously the Yanmar 2GMF-20 needs to be in top shape with a recent oil change and new filters, the shaft aligned and the engine aligned. The bottom should also have been recently painted and clean for the trip. You also would need some engine spares to be safe like primary, secondary filters and belts. My guess that your plan would be a touch ambitious with an untested boat. You could go offshore for stretches and with the right weather window and Gulfstream conditions you could make it. I wouldn't with a boat new to you. Too many things can go wrong with a boat that you don't have experience with and an intimate knowledge of its history.

I've sailed a Hunter 28.5 and they nice performing boats although not up to offshore conditions. Gelcoat cracks at the chainplates and stanchions are pretty common. Additional areas of concern are the cast iron keel and deck compression issues due to leakage around the wiring at the mast.

For the money you are looking at I'd also look at some better built boats C&C 29-2, Cal 28-2, later model Sabre 28, Tartan 28, later model Catalina 30. Pearson 28-2.

You might even consider a freshwater (Great lakes) boat and pay to have it trucked. You will save a lot of time and money in the future not having to deal with some of the ageing issues common in saltwater boats.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2012

CliffRuckstuhl is on a distinguished road

I owned a H 28.5 named Red Dog sailed it all over the place on Lake Erie, heads to small for room to sit but that's it. After a while I hated the V berth set up. The boat sails well to it's PHRF number will out point most all boats in it's class. Cast iron keel, rusts knock off the rust and just paint it every year. We lived on ours every weekend did a weeks vacation over all was a good boat. I would look at the J 30, I now have a J 29 and LOVE the J 29. J 30 is 30/seconds a mile faster then the H 28.5 the J 30 is by far a superior built boat. It will out sail the H 28.5 all day. Say your needing to sail a 1000 miles and with the J 30 you can average 2 knots faster. So were taking 1000 miles dividing it by 4 knots for the H 28.5 and we get 250 hours. In the J 30 were doing 6 knots and dividing it by 1000 miles and we do the same trip in 84 hours less. Now lets throw in that the J 30 will plain and the H 28.5 will not and we can average 1 knot fast over the same 1000 miles and we now knock another 23 hours off the same trip so were now 4 1/2 days faster. The J 30 is 6 inches wider a little longer has better resale value and is a great boat. There is a reason why J Boats has such a loyal following there great boats. Ive owned 3 J 29's (Long story) we got out of sailing for a year and my wife was the one who wanted us to buy another boat. She said, I don't care what boat we buy as long as it's a J Boat. WOW what wife says that? Hunters tend to have allot of free-board the distance between the deck and the water. The 28.5 has 8 inches more freeboard then the J 30 and 12 inches more then the J 29 what this translates into is when the boat is heeled on the H 28.5 it will feel like it is going to roll over and then the Toe Rails gets wet your heeled quite a bit and it feels like your 15 feet off the water and for some it's rather unsettling. On our J 29 my wife would not even notice we have the toe rail in the water because the boat is so wide and has such less freeboard. So take a good look at the J 30 and if possible sail on the H 28.5 then sail on a J 30 or similar type boat. So much of the time people look at just the interior of a boat and don't pay much attention to how a boat sail's. The boats Hunter build now seem to be more focused being a condo rather then a sailboat. But the H 28.5,H31,H34,H35.5 and the 37.5 are boats with some nice lines.

Cliff

Last edited by CliffRuckstuhl; 03-19-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.