SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Manitou 32? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/85313-manitou-32-a.html)

BentSailor 03-22-2012 05:43 PM

Manitou 32?

OK, I've got four young boys I need to fit on a boat so our search for the first family's first non-dinghy has a few space considerations that makes our search more difficult than it might otherwise be. If she doesn't sleep at least four, she's not going to work for the family, much as I really just want a Top Hat 25...

Anyhow, whilst browsing a few boat sale sites last night, the missus noticed and sort of fell in love with a Manitou 32. I, personally, have never heard of these boats and was hoping some people around here could give me some info on them.

The thing that tweaked my internal alarm is that they are quite reasonably priced, especially compared to other 32' boats on the market. Whilst one can often find a bargain, when the first four boats I encounter all seem underpriced compared to other boats of similar LOA, I get worried.

bljones 03-22-2012 06:51 PM

Re: Manitou 32?

Rather unfortunate styling. It looks like a team of NAs were at work, and the NA drawing the stern and the NA drawing the bow and the NA drawing the house did not communicate well... if at all.

Looks like they may have been a kitboat with owner fitout, juding by the wide variation of furniture in the various boats for sale.

Faster 03-22-2012 07:52 PM

That would take some getting used to.. I suspect the unusual profile is a large factor in the 'value/price' you're seeing..

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ter345/4_3.jpg

tdw 03-22-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BentSailor (Post 849311)
OK, I've got four young boys I need to fit on a boat so our search for the first family's first non-dinghy has a few space considerations that makes our search more difficult than it might otherwise be. If she doesn't sleep at least four, she's not going to work for the family, much as I really just want a Top Hat 25...

Anyhow, whilst browsing a few boat sale sites last night, the missus noticed and sort of fell in love with a Manitou 32. I, personally, have never heard of these boats and was hoping some people around here could give me some info on them.

The thing that tweaked my internal alarm is that they are quite reasonably priced, especially compared to other 32' boats on the market. Whilst one can often find a bargain, when the first four boats I encounter all seem underpriced compared to other boats of similar LOA, I get worried.

I've never been a fan but they have their adherents. Young bloke a few moorings up river from us has one that he lived on for some time.

Styling is <cough> interesting to say the least but doesn't work for me. They look as if they sit on top of the water, not in it. Interior promises more than it delivers and while no M32 had a 'standard' interior most only sleep two (in the aft cabin) plus two on fold down dinette. Forward cabin is taken up by the head which is cramped and up there would be a mongrel at sea.

If I was looking for a boat of that length I'd be looking at other possibilities even something like a Compass 30 would be preferable imho.

tdw 03-22-2012 10:02 PM

Bent,
Looking quickly on BP I see Clansman, RL28, Endevaour 30, Carter 33 all under $30.000 asking and depending on condition all preferable to the Manitou, imo. If you stretch out a bit to $35.000 asking the choice gets even wider. You might even be able to pick up a Mottle 33 for that kind of money.
Andrew

oh yes ... and anything you see in Sydney, I'd be happy to eyeball for you.

SloopJonB 03-23-2012 02:27 AM

A double ender with a poop deck? :eek: That's a new one on me. I never thought I'd see a boat that made the Coronado 32 look good.

Bent - remember the importance of the "row away factor". That thing ain't got none mate - keep looking.

BentSailor 03-24-2012 02:34 AM

Thanks guys. I've been able to move her away from the, er, "unsightly" choice and onto some nicer models I'd be far less embarrassed to be seen on. She currently is preferring a Clansman (and I must say, they look nice) and a mate of mine is taking me out Wednesday on his Bonbridge to see how they sail.

Much appreciated all and depending on how the hunt goes - I might take Fuzzy up on his kind offer :)

SimonV 03-24-2012 05:51 AM

that's because the clansman is a pretty boat. And are nice to sail

BentSailor 03-24-2012 06:02 AM

Manitou 32?

Well, I did get her to look at the Clansman based on the resident fuzzball's (appreciated) suggestion. Can't fault the man for taste :)

Haven't sailed one though, but there is some info i could find on the Clansman whereas I could find nothing on the Manitou.

Brett01 03-24-2012 06:04 AM

Clansman is a good, well built yacht by Bruce Fairlie in my opinion. He also did East Coast 31's etc. but these are a little more complex and expensive to own (I've got one!!)
There are a couple of bargain Clansmans on boatpoint at the moment. Some have been re-engined by this time as they were built in the 70's. Great first boat to go for I think.