Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Manitou 32?

OK, I've got four young boys I need to fit on a boat so our search for the first family's first non-dinghy has a few space considerations that makes our search more difficult than it might otherwise be. If she doesn't sleep at least four, she's not going to work for the family, much as I really just want a Top Hat 25...

Anyhow, whilst browsing a few boat sale sites last night, the missus noticed and sort of fell in love with a Manitou 32. I, personally, have never heard of these boats and was hoping some people around here could give me some info on them.

The thing that tweaked my internal alarm is that they are quite reasonably priced, especially compared to other 32' boats on the market. Whilst one can often find a bargain, when the first four boats I encounter all seem underpriced compared to other boats of similar LOA, I get worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Manitou 32?

Rather unfortunate styling. It looks like a team of NAs were at work, and the NA drawing the stern and the NA drawing the bow and the NA drawing the house did not communicate well... if at all.

Looks like they may have been a kitboat with owner fitout, juding by the wide variation of furniture in the various boats for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

That would take some getting used to.. I suspect the unusual profile is a large factor in the 'value/price' you're seeing..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
OK, I've got four young boys I need to fit on a boat so our search for the first family's first non-dinghy has a few space considerations that makes our search more difficult than it might otherwise be. If she doesn't sleep at least four, she's not going to work for the family, much as I really just want a Top Hat 25...

Anyhow, whilst browsing a few boat sale sites last night, the missus noticed and sort of fell in love with a Manitou 32. I, personally, have never heard of these boats and was hoping some people around here could give me some info on them.

The thing that tweaked my internal alarm is that they are quite reasonably priced, especially compared to other 32' boats on the market. Whilst one can often find a bargain, when the first four boats I encounter all seem underpriced compared to other boats of similar LOA, I get worried.

I've never been a fan but they have their adherents. Young bloke a few moorings up river from us has one that he lived on for some time.

Styling is interesting to say the least but doesn't work for me. They look as if they sit on top of the water, not in it. Interior promises more than it delivers and while no M32 had a 'standard' interior most only sleep two (in the aft cabin) plus two on fold down dinette. Forward cabin is taken up by the head which is cramped and up there would be a mongrel at sea.

If I was looking for a boat of that length I'd be looking at other possibilities even something like a Compass 30 would be preferable imho.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Bent,
Looking quickly on BP I see Clansman, RL28, Endevaour 30, Carter 33 all under $30.000 asking and depending on condition all preferable to the Manitou, imo. If you stretch out a bit to $35.000 asking the choice gets even wider. You might even be able to pick up a Mottle 33 for that kind of money.
Andrew

oh yes ... and anything you see in Sydney, I'd be happy to eyeball for you.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

A double ender with a poop deck? That's a new one on me. I never thought I'd see a boat that made the Coronado 32 look good.

Bent - remember the importance of the "row away factor". That thing ain't got none mate - keep looking.
mitiempo likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-24-2012

Thanks guys. I've been able to move her away from the, er, "unsightly" choice and onto some nicer models I'd be far less embarrassed to be seen on. She currently is preferring a Clansman (and I must say, they look nice) and a mate of mine is taking me out Wednesday on his Bonbridge to see how they sail.

Much appreciated all and depending on how the hunt goes - I might take Fuzzy up on his kind offer
Old 03-24-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

that's because the clansman is a pretty boat. And are nice to sail

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-24-2012

Manitou 32?

Well, I did get her to look at the Clansman based on the resident fuzzball's (appreciated) suggestion. Can't fault the man for taste

Haven't sailed one though, but there is some info i could find on the Clansman whereas I could find nothing on the Manitou.
Old 03-24-2012

Brett01 is on a distinguished road

Clansman is a good, well built yacht by Bruce Fairlie in my opinion. He also did East Coast 31's etc. but these are a little more complex and expensive to own (I've got one!!)
There are a couple of bargain Clansmans on boatpoint at the moment. Some have been re-engined by this time as they were built in the 70's. Great first boat to go for I think.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.